Red P's (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Hello everyone, i have my second attempt at my red p plates tommorow after failing my first due to not doing proper left/right headchecks when passing lights and not putting on the demistifiers (dude told me to), my final score was 96 and i think that is a pass but the 2 fail items made be not pass. So i would like anyone who has done the test before to give any tips or feedback they have?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Read through the "Guide to the driving test booklet" and practice stuff in there.

Also, learn how to use the aircon system in your car and what to do in certain situations. I've seen so many people have a fail item in this unnecessarily.

Make sure you understand what to do in each parking situation.

Do remember that with multi-lane turns which can deviate in different directions, head checks are indeed necessary. Also, you would want to buffer in the case that someone crosses lanes. So many bad drivers crossover lines while turning so I always buffer in multi-lane turns.

astroman

HSC
Read through the "Guide to the driving test booklet" and practice stuff in there.

Also, learn how to use the aircon system in your car and what to do in certain situations. I've seen so many people have a fail item in this unnecessarily.

Make sure you understand what to do in each parking situation.

Do remember that with multi-lane turns which can deviate in different directions, head checks are indeed necessary. Also, you would want to buffer in the case that someone crosses lanes. So many bad drivers crossover lines while turning so I always buffer in multi-lane turns.
thanks, i would of turned on the demistifiers but the instructor told me to while i was moving and wasn't sure if it was legal to fidget about with the centre console controls. I am great at parking, keeping under the speed and road positioning, i failed for the reason of not doing left/right headchecks on roundabouts/lights since it might check people running a red light. All in all, i'm confident i'll pass, i just hope i don't get the same driving instructor.

astroman

HSC
i think the instructor had something against me, i had a cricket bat on the backseat and a metal steering handle lock on the passenger side and that may of triggered some false thoughts in his mind haha

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
thanks, i would of turned on the demistifiers but the instructor told me to while i was moving and wasn't sure if it was legal to fidget about with the centre console controls. I am great at parking, keeping under the speed and road positioning, i failed for the reason of not doing left/right headchecks on roundabouts/lights since it might check people running a red light. All in all, i'm confident i'll pass, i just hope i don't get the same driving instructor.
Oh right. Yeah of course. You don't start moving at the lights unless you have checked around. That's definitely something to check. Also at roundabouts, you need to check for pedestrians, which is most likely from your left. Don't have to do a massive head turn or anything, but a quick check beforehand is something to look into. Generally, look slightly left for a pedestrian, look all the way right turning your head, check left by turning your head to see if the person in front is cutting you dangerously.

astroman

HSC
Oh right. Yeah of course. You don't start moving at the lights unless you have checked around. That's definitely something to check. Also at roundabouts, you need to check for pedestrians, which is most likely from your left. Don't have to do a massive head turn or anything, but a quick check beforehand is something to look into. Generally, look slightly left for a pedestrian, look all the way right turning your head, check left by turning your head to see if the person in front is cutting you dangerously.
i read somewhere online that you should try to show the instructor that you are doing head checks so i think i will exaggerate a bit this time to be on the safe side, last time i mainly used just my eyes to look at the mirrors and turned my head a little. And i don't recall the instructor ever looking at whether i looked left/right, he just told instructions and looked at the road.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
i read somewhere online that you should try to show the instructor that you are doing head checks so i think i will exaggerate a bit this time to be on the safe side, last time i mainly used just my eyes to look at the mirrors and turned my head a little. And i don't recall the instructor ever looking at whether i looked left/right, he just told instructions and looked at the road.
No need to exaggerate if you have the right idea (basically you should turn your head quite a bit, but you probably are not doing it frequently enough if anything).

Lol on the motorway I pretty much do a full body swing myself to check if anyone a few lanes away is actually jumping into the same lane as me while speeding or something themselves.

astroman

HSC
i am also supposed to do a blind spot check everytime i use an indicator

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Hello everyone, i have my second attempt at my red p plates tommorow after failing my first due to not doing proper left/right headchecks when passing lights and not putting on the demistifiers (dude told me to), my final score was 96 and i think that is a pass but the 2 fail items made be not pass. So i would like anyone who has done the test before to give any tips or feedback they have?
Good luck Astro, so long as you remember the feedback your testing officer gave you and you're confident in everything else, you shouldn't fail the second time.

I failed the first time basically because of not doing the appropriate headchsck at the lights and my shit three point turn (freaked out for some reason hahaha).

I did my test in an unfamiliar area - I decided that if I can drive, I can drive anywhere. Have that sE mentality and just put into practice good driving habits. Like AD suggested, read the booklet. I'll be honest with you, I haven't and I really should because even on my p's now I make mistakes (remember on the road there's really little room for error).

emilios

HSC
Tbh you only fail the left/right headcheck at traffic lights if you dont do it 3 times. You have to be kinda unlucky to be the first car at a set of lights 3 times, although it can defs happen

astroman

HSC
Tbh you only fail the left/right headcheck at traffic lights if you dont do it 3 times. You have to be kinda unlucky to be the first car at a set of lights 3 times, although it can defs happen
i was first twice and idk and that counted as two fail items plus the demistifiers.

astroman

HSC
i failed lol, i had a perfect score except i went 45kmh in a school zone which counts as a fail item :(

QZP

HSC
i failed lol, i had a perfect score except i went 45kmh in a school zone which counts as a fail item :(
That sucks. May I ask which RTA you are doing the test at? If needed, plan your next test to be in a low-traffic area and on the weekend so you don't have to worry about school zones.

astroman

HSC
That sucks. May I ask which RTA you are doing the test at? If needed, plan your next test to be in a low-traffic area and on the weekend so you don't have to worry about school zones.
im doing it at penrith since i'm familiar with the area, and i'm just trying to book asap as i need my license before the 20th due to family reasons so i can drive or i'll have to catch a bus/train daily for a few weeks, i rebooked at richmond now but its 3:35pm next thursday, i hope i can get it, i just made a silly mistake.

D94

HSC
N/A
Well it could have been a fine and a loss of licence for 3 months if the Police were watching, so you're extremely lucky you have another chance. Don't speed, not even 1km/h over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)