referencing lecture notes (1 Viewer)

Invalid

HSC
N/A
how do u write up lecture notes as a reference??

Invalid

HSC
N/A
notes we take down ourselves etc??? ive jst footnoted them as lecture notes week 2... and will write the same in the bibliography

yeh but notes u took urself... u still learnt it off somewhere.. u still have to acknowledge it dont u !?

HSC
haha is this for the sociology essay....i still haven't finished that grrrr....im doing 'deviance' as the social issue. it sucks....im nearly up to 500 words (its 1000 word limit)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Why would you reference a lecture?

Anyway, I dunno how you reference material in a lecture, depending on what your lecturer uses, must of the stuff comes from textbooks and journals, you should email your lecturer and see where they got the information from.

Invalid

HSC
N/A
why wouldnt u reference lecture notes.. definitions maybe!!!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Definitions are better from textbooks. And I'd bet you that your lecturer got their definitions from textbooks or journals.

Jonathan A

HSC
Cape said:
Why would you reference a lecture?

Anyway, I dunno how you reference material in a lecture, depending on what your lecturer uses, must of the stuff comes from textbooks and journals, you should email your lecturer and see where they got the information from.

Lectures are still counted as an academic source. Even if you went up to your lecturer and asked them a question, you could reference that. You can reference almost anything, from lecture slides and overheads, through to commentaries and research.

One of my tutors last year gave me a really great link to a referencing list online that talks about the Harvard system from James Cook University, have to see if I can find it.

Jonathan A

HSC
I will note however, that like many sources, some are better than others. Better to use a textbook. PLUS, if you misinterpret the lecture, then the lecturer will more than likely pick up on it in your essay.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
One other thing about lectures (I dunno if this applies to other peoples lectures, but it does in mine, so I'll just say it :p) lecturers also include a lot of their own experience in lectures, which as jon pointed out, you could easily misinterpret them. Just be careful when referencing lectures.

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
well im also doing sociology essay and i used lecture notes and just referenced that by writing the lecturers name, 2005 then course # and name and then the lecture week that i used like e.g. lecture 2 and 5 u know... becuz sociology doesnt have webct so its hard to remember all the info we get given on the day. who cares n e ways... if i do it wrong they'll point it out.. so learn from mistakes ay hehehe

klh

HSC
it depends on the lecturer, for one of mine she let us do it as long as you wrote which week and slide you used...better to ask the marker.tutorer.lecturer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)