Referncing??? (1 Viewer)

Lu Lu

HSC
Hey guys. I have to do a refernce list for my intext info and I also want to show my readings in a bibliography. Do i have to have the stuff on my refernce list in my bibliography too? Thanks.

Jacks

HSC
you have to do both? Generally I just do a reference list with only the works that I cite. A bibliography is a list of everything you looked at, whether you found it useful or not...whereas a reference list just lists those sources that you referenced in your work. If you have to do both, which isn't typical, then I'd list them in both. Are you sure you have to do both? or are you just unsure of what a reference list is? If you want to list things you don't cite I would just do so in a bibliography...listing the texts you looked at and also cited.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If you want to put additional readings in, you will be best to do a bibliography instead of a reference list.

The difference between a bibliography and a list of references (incase you were wondering) is: A list of references contains only material that has been cited that is quoted. A bibliography is a list of books, articles and other published materials published on a defined topic.

Hope it helps :)

Edit: too slow for Jacks :p

Lu Lu

HSC
The tute said that if we have done heaps of reading but only have a few refernces that we have cited then its OK to do both. But I think i'll double check before I hand it in.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It seems strange that you would have to do both. I usually just do a bibliography cause it looks like I've done more work :p

Jacks

HSC
yes the good old bibliography is good for filling up that extra space. Doing both would seem a waste of time...a bibliography alone would do the work of both...and if there aren't many texts which you cited then I'm sure your tutor would be able to recognise those you used in your work. Check to be sure but I think a bibliography in itself will be enough. Maybe your tutor means if you don't reference much you can do a bibliography...including additional material on the topic that you didn't quote or take from directly ;)

klh

HSC
me too. i ddint know aobut it until i got no amrks for not outting my reference list in alphabetical order. also, there are spcific referencing styles for each school in management, some will want to specific harvard style. that pees me off too.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
And sometimes if you don't put the ('.,) in the correct places, they mark you down ... that happened to me last year :(

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Best to copy the examples in your unit outline.

Jacks

HSC
yes when doing in text referencing you put the author's last name, year of publication and the specific page number...all in brackets next to the quote of course. You must always include the page number a quote can be found on, only when you're taking a general concept or idea do you leave it out. Are you meant to be doing in-text as opposed to footnotes?

mmmm... i just finished my referencing... seems fine...
altho im a bit worried... :S ill probably get marked down for guessing some of the bits n pieces .. haha

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
how do u reference e journals? like do u reference it normally and put (e-journal) at the end or something? AND since most journals are on the internet anyway is it really necassary to say that it is an ejournal? if i dont say its from the net will they look it up or something? like will i get penalized?
edit: plus what about order, like im ment to do harvard style, in the list do u just list everything alphabetically or do u put them under headings eg, journal, book newspaper etc ?

Last edited:
L

LaraB

just a general comment to everyone -

you should ALWAYS check your unit's style guide or whatever is avaible first because the methods of referencing differ fot different schools..

eg business used harvard style, law uses stuhmcke's book

so always check first coz nothing sucks more than doing an awesome bunch of work and then getting no credit coz you didnt do your citations right:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Dumdida said:
how do u reference e journals? like do u reference it normally and put (e-journal) at the end or something? AND since most journals are on the internet anyway is it really necassary to say that it is an ejournal? if i dont say its from the net will they look it up or something? like will i get penalized?
edit: plus what about order, like im ment to do harvard style, in the list do u just list everything alphabetically or do u put them under headings eg, journal, book newspaper etc ?
e-journals are exactly the same as journals (if they are found through the library). If they are journals from other organisations and uni's then they are internet sites (i think).

Check the outline or with your lecturer to see what type of referencing you need to use.

And you DO NOT put things into categories like textbooks, websites, journals, etc. Just a huge long alabetical order list. They will be able to tell whats what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)