Refrencing Wiki (1 Viewer)

ram14

HSC
I was wondering if anyone knew how to refrence wikipedia as we dont know who the authors of a specific article are.

HSC
what are you using it for? if its a major work or something for EE2 or something i'm not sure if you can get away with using wikipedia as a resource..

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
wikipedia is not a good resource to use at all... use certified sites.

Season

HSC
You can't reference Wikipedia because its so iffy as a information source.

HOWEVER what I do is
>>find sites to back up wikipedia

Down the bottom wikipedia will give a list of references. Follow them up, double check what wikipedia says and then just reference the other site

Wikipedia is a great to find a quick overview of a subject, but its not a reliable source and many teachers don't think its a good resource.

goosiegoo

HSC
ram14 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew how to refrence wikipedia as we dont know who the authors of a specific article are.
Don't do it. Wikipedia isn't a reliable source in any context. If the wikipedia article happens to reference the point you want to make, then you can always look up that source.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Exactly. Because Wikipedia can be edited by anyone at anytime, the information presented is generally correct, but it is be no means reliable, especially if somoene misinformed is the one doing the editing. Besides, even if it was 100% accurate, it still can't be referenced because it either records the IP address for those who edit without an account, or the screen name of those who edit who do have an account. Therefore, the author cannot be reference; your teachers will shoot you down if you provide a Wikipedia source authored by 'xHaloGod69x'. The best thing you can do is go straight to the external links without reading the Wikipedia article and use those because they can be referenced. If you reference Wikipedia at uni - at least, at my uni - the lecturers will have something to say about it and usually deduct marks for every Wikipedia reference.

ram14

HSC
ok guys thanks for your help. I wont refrence wiki then...

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I've referenced Wiki in quite a few assessments and apparently, my teachers don't really care or they don't notice.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I found that in high school my teachers didn't really mind us using WP, except arguably towards the end of the HSC course in Modern, when they encouraged us to do proper research. I'd never even think of referencing it at uni, though.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
My English teacher from last year said that if I referenced Wiki in another assessment she'd have to mark me down because it's not "academically vetted". But she > the internet, because I don't know how many people would be able to talk about military theory then comfortably glance at my work and and tell me that something I tried to explain as existentialist was actually marxist. -_-

So yeah, teachers like that hate it.

elseany

HSC
ive been told by my teachers that to reference wiki, we just reference the sites that tehy reference. you boviously have to check their referenced site to see if it relates to the piece of information your using though.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
m0ofin said:
I've referenced Wiki in quite a few assessments and apparently, my teachers don't really care or they don't notice.
Just wait until university. They will care, and they'll usually let you know it, too.

Hallatia

HSC
just plaiguarise, they are donated articles anyway and the can be changed all the time, but change your wording, if you are unsure do a google search on your sentence, if it comes up, keep changing it til it doesn't.

I was just being a dick, seriously, some wikipedia articles are well worth referencing, I have referenced Wikipedia before but make sure to but the date of the search too, reference it as
Wikipedia te free encyclopedia - search- date
The thing about wikipedia is that it usually gives you its references too, so if you look at them it may be possible to use them instead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)