REGGAE-lution... (1 Viewer)

Maiya

HSC
I see Pop, I see RnB, I see Rock…but I don’t see a Reggae thread!
Where are all the reggae lovers?!

My fellow bredren and sistren…:)

FACT:
Ragga- The current name of popular reggae music. Ragga music relies heavily on a digital equipment.
Dub - Mixed music of electronicreggae.

There is also another type called Soca which is sooo upbeat!!

Reggae has evolved…no longer should people just think of Bob Marley when they hear reggae! Marley was da bomb! But reggae lives on, and has moved on…just not in Australia :)

If you’re a reggae lover, holler back!

HSC
welcome to jamrockkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

yeah i love reggae, not too underground in the genre but i love all the marleys, specially bob and damian, stephen cool too. UB40 sizzla, beanie man, kardinall offishall....but then these artists usually transcend the genre and mix it up with dancehall and hip hop.

Maiya

HSC
hey mon! hehee

WELCOME 2 JAMROCK!!!!!!!!!big ups big upzzzzzzz!!!

love to see a reggae lover! yes, damian's album is bad like yaz!!! "Road to Zion" is ma fave! u know it features Nas? Yea tru dat, this genre does tend to mix, but hey fusion is good! Do you like Ziggy Marley? Apparently, he's the lady's fave..but yeah the Marley's are good!!! Have you heard Shaggy's new album? Clothes Drop i think? lol...its got some nice tunes! Dancehall!! i forgot that one!!

Respect and peace!!

HSC
yes and pimpass paradise features black thought.

its a very good album.

lil kim can do a great jamacian flow sometimes, eg lights up, no matter what they say

spraga benz, foxy browns husband, can bring that flava too.

havent heard much of ziggy, sleepin on shaggy too didnt bother with his album, though on your recommendation i might check it out.

Maiya

HSC
hmm lil kim does reggae? well that's a thought :p..yea to be honest i like Spragga Benz better than Foxy Brown...hahaa i dunno if my reggae taste is good, so don't blame me if Shaggy's album is not up to scratch! lol...

Originally, i was just an RnB, Hip Hop, Rap, Soul, G-Funk, Garage lover. Then my bro introduced me to reggae>>ragga!! So, i still love all the other genres but RnB's become a bit poppy nowadays if you know what i mean...I love/d the Fugees, Lauren Hill.

Here are some of my favourite reggae artists - i can't think of many but they are the main ones, i added some songs in btw:

Rayvon - ma bad
Beenie Man
Buju Banton - champion remix
Kevin Lil
Rupee
Red Rat
Bounty Killer
Wayne Wonder>>foxy brown ft him, sadest day of my life!! nice song!
Spragga Benz
Groove Theory - tell me(reggae remix)
Mr Vegas
Lexxus
Wyclef Jean
Redman
Tanto Metro & Devonte
Reggae- krs one, mad lion and shaggy - Ey Yo!! (remix)
THE MARLEYS!

Hey do you know "PRIORITY ONE"? It's a CD mixed by dJ jHUNboy and dJ ReANo..."PRIORITY ONE 2003" was good, but "PRIORITY ONE 2004" is bashy! hehe good for a bashment! lol...I wonder if P1 2005 is out?

HSC
yeh the fugees - the score is a great CD....their latest song sucks though hopefully their new album will be good, but 'take it easy' is really crap

Mike iE

HSC
Toots and the Maytals are a top band, i guess you classify them as reggae.

Maiya

HSC
mmm...Fugees/Lauren Hill classics...this i love the most...old school music...not too sure about the most recent...but classics like If I Rule The World ft Nas, Ready or Not, That thing, A Rose is Still a Rose ft Aretha Franklin, Stayin alive lol, Turn Your Lights Down ft Bob Marley...these are just to name a few of the great :)...

"Toots and the Maytals are a top band, i guess you classify them as reggae."

welcome fren Mike iE...Toots>> this sounds familiar...ill check this :)

Some other artists i failed to mention last time include: Vybz Kartel, Non-A-Miss, Ini Kamoze, Sizzla (hiphophorray123 i know u said, but i couldnt recall at the time, soz!), Akon and can someone remember the artist who sang "Informer"??

Peace...

otay

HSC
my fav. reggae song at the moment is "warriors" - Kymani Marley (another one of Bob's sons). It's fucking awesome, altho a little harder than u would expect for reggae.

One time for my warriors, my last smugglers and all my buffalo soldiers

iwannarock

HSC
i really hate dancehall. like fuckin sean paul and stuff.

i love my old reggae. bob marley and such. ub40. inner circle etc.

theres not many new raggae acts i like. haven't listned to it in a while. maybe stuff like yellow man and beanie man. yellow mans - reggae calypso is pretty fun.

but still.....reggae has moved to a new style that i dont really like.

give me old school bob marley anyday.

i had dreadlocks for 2 years...........ah those were the days. since i cut them off my giant (takes up a whole wall) bob marley poster looks at me in disgust.

Maiya

HSC
Welcome otay and iwannarock!

Thx hiphophorray123…I knew it was a name that started with ‘S’, just had a mental block at the time :)

otay said:
my fav. reggae song at the moment is "warriors" - Kymani Marley (another one of Bob's sons). It's fucking awesome, altho a little harder than u would expect for reggae.

One time for my warriors, my last smugglers and all my buffalo soldiers
Otay, nice choices!...buffalo soldiers!! This is truly a classic! :) Then again, all of Bob Marley’s songs are classics :)

Maiya

HSC
iwannarock said:
i really hate dancehall. like fuckin sean paul and stuff.

i love my old reggae. bob marley and such. ub40. inner circle etc.

but still.....reggae has moved to a new style that i dont really like.

give me old school bob marley anyday.

Hey iwannarock, I too don’t particularly favour all aspects of reggae…but at the same time, you can’t just ignore that they still exist and are a part of reggae, right? Dancehall…hehe, iwannarock did you notice no one has mentioned Sean Paul as a preferred reggae artist as of yet?...You’ll notice his not on my list :p
I mostly like Ragga, Dub, Soca and old school reggae :)

To Sean Paul fans no disrespect, but personally I don’t favour his style. However, there is one song…Grindin (remix). He features in this song with a few other reggae artists I think…if anyone knows the exact details, plz do say. The beat, the music in that song is unmistakable…so Sean, u got lucky! :p

Yeah, im with you on that…old reggae is the best!
Bob Marley…no matter how many reggae artists or versions of reggae come…Bob Marley will always be the JAH of reggae!

By the way, I’m not randomly selecting these reggae artists’ names. That’s why I keep adding. I browse through my reggae and see if the artist is worth naming…Thanx pplz! I remembered a few other names of reggae: Snow, Kymani & Stephen Marley, UB40, Inner Circle, Turbulence, Lexxon & the other guy – forgot his name..oops!

iwannarock said:
yellow mans - reggae calypso is pretty fun.

This is what I’m talking abouuut! To me, reggae is the most upbeat genre! It’s got a fun vibe to it! It can be laid back, deep and meaningful, or just lively to listen to! Even a mix of these! Also, the style in which they sing is distinctively unique and seriously cool. Jamaicans are cool! I know the definition of cool by teen bops, but I mean cool kewl…:)

iwannarock said:
i had dreadlocks for 2 years...........ah those were the days. since i cut them off my giant (takes up a whole wall) bob marley poster looks at me in disgust.

Haha! That’s kewl. I loved dreads till they became a fashion statement!! I still love dreads but to me it’s funny coz dreads, the rasta band/beads (Green, Yellow & Red), reggae, the Jamaican accent all this is a nice package…People can have dreads that’s alright but in my eyes I always associate dreads with a Jamaican or a Reggae lover. I don’t mean to be stereotypical but that’s the way I see it. Obviously, there are Jamaicans/reggae lovers who do not need to make an outward appearance to show they are in to this music or rasta culture. Either way, it’s harmless. There is no wrong in having dreads and not being a reggae lover. I told you it’s just my thoughts, my two cents :)

WOW! A giant wall sized Marley Poster! Reespek!!! Wouldn’t that be a bit overwhelming at times? I guess a positive feeling though! I mean such a legend in a picture that size would be quite inspirational :) …I don’t blame you if you felt as though Bob looked at you in disgust…Don’t worry Bob knows you’re a true reggae lover, he loves ya ;). I could never have a legend like that in my room, esp. that size! Maybe in a common room like the rumpus, hall or living but daymm that’s still awesome!

Sorry pplz, juz a few corrections…

I said Soca was a type of reggae - which it is – but more accurately said, Soca is islander music – Caribbean style! Even more specifically, TnT style!! Trinidad & Tobago…Anyone heard “Sweet Sweet TnT”? This is what made me fall in love with Soca! I felt the pride in being a Trinidad! Hehe, only way I can really relate is that my native country is an island – far from Australia and really far from the Caribbean :). Soca takes many of its attributes from reggae, hence the idea of it being considered reggae.

Mike iE…your right! Ska can be classified as reggae but more importantly hailed as a forefather! Ska existed before reggae, Ska contributed to the creation of reggae. This is what I found out. Hehee…enter a real Jamaican or reggaer and I’ll get taxed if I’m wrong! Hey, I tried my best! :)

Peace out…

slip

HSC
yeh dance hall raggae and bob marley and stuff like that were kinda considered 2nd wave ska.

we are now in 3rd wave ska with the likes of rbf, mad caddies etc

cant remember what 1st wave was... been so long since i found out.

bob marley and ub40 are awesome. im not as into raggae as you guys but i do enjoy it.

HSC
Maiya said:
To Sean Paul fans no disrespect, but personally I don’t favour his style. However, there is one song…Grindin (remix). He features in this song with a few other reggae artists I think…if anyone knows the exact details, plz do say. The beat, the music in that song is unmistakable…so Sean, u got lucky! :p

Peace out…
The Clipse Feat Sean Paul, Simpleton & Kardinall Offishal - Grindin' (Selector Remix) :)

neptunes made the beat

Comrade nathan

HSC
I like the mkore older Reggae, i don't mind the dancehall.

THe older reggae is more rasta, and a good insight to that culture and Pan Africanism.

iwannarock

HSC
Maiya said:
WOW! A giant wall sized Marley Poster! Reespek!!! Wouldn’t that be a bit overwhelming at times? I guess a positive feeling though! I mean such a legend in a picture that size would be quite inspirational :) …I don’t blame you if you felt as though Bob looked at you in disgust…Don’t worry Bob knows you’re a true reggae lover, he loves ya ;). I could never have a legend like that in my room, esp. that size! Maybe in a common room like the rumpus, hall or living but daymm that’s still awesome!
yeah it is a bit overwhelming. i play guitar alot in my room so its quite overbearing to be writing a song with the bob marley poster watching over. he was such a good song writer. him and the wailers. peter toshes guitar playing is so awesome. like in the no woman no cry solo. i think its peter tosh i get everything mixed up.

i've balanced my room out....on another wall near my desk there is a giant Led Zeppelin poster with the lyrics to the last verse of stairway to heaven on them. then on my other wall i have a giant Iron Maiden flag........and then a giant KISS flag and random posters.

i don't think any of them get along lol. ah well they must all bear witness to my loud and annoying guitar fury :cool: \M/

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UPPPP THE IRONS!!!!

*cough*

Thats my contribution.

HSC
K-OS can also sing with a nice reggae type voice the guy is really and truly talented, great great rapper, and a real good singer too check out 'hallelujah' its him singing over an acoustic its brilliant. If you wanna check him out on the rap side though check out 'superstar part 0' or 'b-boy stance'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)