Regional Entry Test (RET) (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Is anyone planning on going, or considering going, to UWS sitting for RET? Do you reckon the $113 is worth it? Did anyone here sit it last year?

Bimbo

Southern Girl
i got the letter for that the other day...i don't think $113 is very much, seems ok. I might be going, depends whether i can go on the days specified...what is the test made up of again? i can't find the brochure thing that came with the letter

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Multiple choice - general knowlage I'm told.. and 2 extented responses on current affairs :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
http://www.acer.edu.au/unitest/

left hand side,
click STAT :)

Originally posted by Bimbo
i got the letter for that the other day...i don't think $113 is very much, seems ok. I might be going, depends whether i can go on the days specified...what is the test made up of again? i can't find the brochure thing that came with the letter
taken from ACER,
http://www.acer.edu.au/unitest/stat/content.html

Content of STAT

STAT is designed to assess a range of competencies commonly considered important for successful tertiary study. The purpose of STAT is to appraise a candidate's ability to think critically about issues and understand the material given, rather than to assess knowledge of curriculum, or any specific academic subject.

STAT questions typically require candidates

to read and think about a passage of writing

interpret graphical displays of information

use mathematical relationships

reason about tables of data.

The questions are based on a wide range of stimulus materials. All the information required to answer questions is contained in the tests. The test of Written English is designed to assess candidates' ability to organise and express their thoughts in a logical and effective way.

Several forms of STAT are used for admission to different courses:

STAT Multiple Choice - used by Tertiary Admission Centres

STAT F - used by individual institutions

STAT Written English - used in some instances by Tertiary Admission Centres and individual institutions.

The STAT F and STAT Multiple Choice tests are two hours in duration, each containing 70 multiple-choice questions, half of which are Verbal (V) and half are Quantitative (Q) questions.

Verbal items - interpretation and understanding of ideas in humanities and social sciences material

Quantitative items - comprehension and application of scientific and mathematical information.

The STAT Written English test is a one-hour test of the candidates' ability to express themselves in writing.

UMAT was $120, so they're all about the same price $100+
i'm not sure how much GAMSAT costs but it'll probably be the same $120 as UMAT (or more).

it doesn't specify on ACER's website,
details to be announced.

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Oh, I forgot to comment on the price. I reckon $113 is a fair bit of money, esspecially for the kids in Western Sydney public schools, which this scheme is aimed at.

$113 is alot, esspecially since it's just a once off test.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah, i dunno, i think 113 is also qui8te a bit for an exam and u dnt even know if ull get in.. i dunno

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i didnt bother, if u really want to get into uws and u reckon ur uai wont be enuff then by all means go for it.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah man, i dont really have a choice... mum wants me to do it... are u guys gonna do it? if so, where u guys gonna do it?

i lost the brochure LOL

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL... if I do it, at Bankstown. I can scan the brochure if you want it :)

Where will u go..??

xGSiR

Im going to Parramatta.
I just need to get into a university at least.
Just to make my parents happy. So doing this RET test could have some benefits for me.

Sarah J

HSC
I was thinking about doing the RET test last year, but then I read you couldn't defer so I didn't bother.

Is it true that if your RET score isn't higher than your UAI then it doesn't count? Cos that's what I was told and it was another reason why I couldn't be arsed doing it.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Tooheyz:

STAT,
saturday 13th september

locations: bankstown
campbelltown
parramatta
penrith

and another session on sunday the 14th, september.

i dont know what the session preferences are, but it has:

bankstown 101/102 103/104
campbelltown 201/202 203/204
parramatta 301/302 303/304
penrith 401/402 403/404

first set of numbers represents AM, second set represents PM sessions.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
ah thanks mate... i paid today and i have no idea which times they chose for me man...

but yeah.. they will send us a form or something right? after we paid???

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
after you paid you send in the form with your option of time and location to UAC.

Printmaker

HSC
N/A
Definately worth it I reckon.
Know heaps of people who got in cause of it.
Not as nervous doing that as the HSC.

LMM

LMM
HSC
From what I understand, if you're a year 12 student who has been given the opportunity to sit the RET exam then your RET score must be above your UAI in order for it to be counted. There are 2 components you must satisfy in order for your RET score to assist in gaining admission to UWS; firstly, your RET score MUST be above your UAI. Secondly, your UAI MUST BE within 10 points of the 2005 cut-off of the course you are interested in for the RET to count. An example of this is; Your UAI is 70, your RET score is 85 and the course you want to get into was cut off this year (2005) at 80 then UWS will be able to use your RET score. Generally, an offer may be made to a person despite the fact that their UAI results were not high enough for the 2006 cut-off for the course, however they are able to meet the criteria because their UAI result is no more than 10 points below the 2005 cut-off AND their RET score was high enough to meet the 2006 cut-off.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)