• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Regret doing Standard? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Do you regret doing Standard English? I am uncertain whether I should stick to Advanced English. I am in top Advanced English class but I think I can do much better in Standard English if I do it now. I am not even struggling.

In the first term, Advanced English students are basically doing content that is also covered by Standard English classes. So, if you wanna change, you can change just before the 2nd term.

Is there any difference in terms of difficulty or what? People say I would be better of doing Advanced because of scaling. I personally don't care about scaling. As long as I can do well, who cares about scaling. Scaling only works against you if your result is not high enough.

So, do you regret doing it? Why or why not? I think posting this thread here would be more effective than the Preliminary thread since I can target more "experienced" mob.

boris

Banned
HSC
In terms of difficulty, the language you use and the standard of your work is expected to be 1000 times better in Advanced than in Standard.

It may be the same content in terms of Area of Study, but the standard and volume of your work is expected to be a lot higher.

cal-

Banned
HSC
you'd be an idiot to drop to standard unless you were doing shit in advanced.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cal- said:
you'd be an idiot to drop to standard unless you were doing shit in advanced.
I actually saw some people in my class dropping out, telling me they would be better off doing Standard. Why do you think that? Did you do Standard?

bassistx

HSC
Can't really tell you because next year you'll be doing another unit: Belonging or something.
Talk to your careers adviser or year adviser. S/he'll sort you out.

EDIT: I do not regret dropping from Adv to Std. I've learnt x10 more. I have a very cultured teacher and I learn about more than just English. We're doing Briar Rose and she speaks German (as well as French) so she can translate everything word for word and give us a lot of the background history.
How well you do depends on your teacher, I suppose. If they teach you well, you'll do well. You can't really teach yourself English out of a textbook - you need class notes/discussions.

cal-

Banned
HSC
nah i do advanced.

i'd be surprised if they do better unless they were struggling in adv

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Well I had considered dropping to standard ALOT in prelim. I remember always saying that I will but never did. I'm so glad I kept it now 'cos I do believe it's more interesting and I also have to work a bit harder which is quite motivating at times. IMO do advanced either way, but if you really find it hard then drop down to standard.

leon4u

HSC
I'd move down to standard if i were you, it is very easy and im currently in high 80s and currently ranked first and i have not studied once for it!

Also gives me more time to focus on other subjects

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Please remember less than 1% of students get band 6 in Standard English (out of a rough 28000 studnets), although scaling doesn't matter to you at this very point, your ranking of first will help assure you that your UAI aim of 100 (or I'd say 95+) is easier to reach.

boris

Banned
HSC
The reason everybody who drops down to Standard English does better is because it's easier.
But you cannot compare them. Getting a band 6 in Standard is the equivalent of a 4 in Advanced.

I think I know what I'd like the 6 in.

chyeah

HSC
tommykins said:
Please remember less than 1% of students get band 6 in Standard English (out of a rough 28000 studnets), although scaling doesn't matter to you at this very point, your ranking of first will help assure you that your UAI aim of 100 (or I'd say 95+) is easier to reach.
lol it is actually... 3.3% of standard english people which get band 6. well that's what i heard from the 2007 hsc marks. I do standard english....

Aplus

HSC
N/A
DO NOT DROP DOWN TO STANDARD. I think it's been stated so many times that students of Standard English rarely if ever achieve the top marks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
My UAI aim is not actually 100. The course that I want to get in is probably 60-70 where I want to do social work to help others. The reason I am "aiming" for 100 is just that I want to see how far I can reach if I try my best.

And I don't really need that high UAI because I also have privilege of EAS (Education Access Scheme) since I came to Australia in 2005 (i.e. 3 years)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
DO NOT DROP DOWN TO STANDARD. I think it's been stated so many times that students of Standard English rarely if ever achieve the top marks.
Appreciate that comment. It is 1/100 chance that I will drop and if I do, it is for the sake of other subjects and because it is easy.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
chyeah said:
lol it is actually... 3.3% of standard english people which get band 6. well that's what i heard from the 2007 hsc marks. I do standard english....
Doubt it's that high, unless you can provide a source.

lyounamu said:
My UAI aim is not actually 100. The course that I want to get in is probably 60-70 where I want to do social work to help others. The reason I am "aiming" for 100 is just that I want to see how far I can reach if I try my best.
Then that should be a reason to keep advanced :)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
I do standard english.

I kind of regret it, because half of my school is retarted my marks will probably get pulled down.

I am content with standard, how ever if i had it over again i would pick advanced.

pamelacohen

HSC
You can do very well in Standard English.

A band 4 is a band 4; a band 5 a band 5 etc whether you are doing Standard or Advanced.

Aim to get the best mark in your school for Standard- especially in the Area of Study half yearly and trials. You can get a very strong UAI if you prepare well, write excellent essays, evaluate short answer texts well and develop a substantial narrative - even if your school is not highly ranked. Remember it is about your ranking.

Don't be defeated- fight for your right to get to uni with the best result possible.

The Hippy

HSC
Im having the exact same dilemma at the moment. My advanced teachers an asshole and he gives us the lamest texts to study.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
My God, so many of you people are such tools. You know why so few Standard students achieve a Band 6? Because generally the people who pick Standard aren't that capable of achieving such a mark. I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about it from the Board of Studies, but can't remember where right now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)