Regret Not Choosing Extension 2 Maths (1 Viewer)

Maybe2004

HSC
Hello,

I am currently a Year 12 student of 2022 and I decided to remain in Mathematics Extension 1 instead of 2 because I wanted to do Japanese Extension. However, right now I am finding Mathematics much better than Japanese and don't want to continue doing Extension Japanese and do Extension 2 Mathematics instead. Do you think my school would allow me to pick up Extension 2 Mathematics? (we haven't had our assessment task yet for Ext 2, it is next term (next year))

idkkdi

HSC
Hello,

I am currently a Year 12 student of 2022 and I decided to remain in Mathematics Extension 1 instead of 2 because I wanted to do Japanese Extension. However, right now I am finding Mathematics much better than Japanese and don't want to continue doing Extension Japanese and do Extension 2 Mathematics instead. Do you think my school would allow me to pick up Extension 2 Mathematics? (we haven't had our assessment task yet for Ext 2, it is next term (next year))
depends entirely on ur school.

i would imagine if ur classes are not operating at full capacity for mx2, you could make a convincing case if you pester them enough.

dasfas

HSC
Good luck. Just make sure you catch up during the holidays and you should be good :)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yes, I just sent an email, hopefully it goes well😣
I've been in a sort of similar situation in prelims for going up a level for maths but I'm not sure if they'll be more scrupulous for HSC courses:

I presume the cohort would've covered the first topic they're doing already so your missing 1 topic already. You have to convince them why you're worth the extra effort/risk of enrolment, if you say you'll just catch up in the holidays then that might not be enough unless they know you'll keep your word. Briefly going through the first topic studied will help you show that you might be capable of catching up with everything. Getting recommendation from your current Ext 1 teacher or anyone in the math faculty will boost your chances significantly.

Like @idkkdi said, it will be better if you meet them in person than send them an email to make it "personal", they'll be more inclined to let you in.

All the best regardless, if you do get in, get ready to buckle down and spend most of your holidays getting up to par with your classmates. If not, take it as an opportunity to hone your skills in other subjects.

icycledough

HSC
Hello,

Maybe not, as they will have gone through almost a whole term of 4U content, of which the first topic is complex numbers (although your school may use a different order). But as you haven't had an assessment task, hopefully, your teachers will be lenient and allow you to pick it up. Although in saying that, it will be expected of you to self-teach the content already gone through, as your teacher won't have time to go back to the earlier topics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)