Regretting not going to USYD (1 Viewer)

Mudz12

HSC
OK so i finished the HSC in 2008 and got a UAI of 97.45

I chose Macquarie University as my first preference in UAC the double degree being Commerce(accounting) with LLB (law) degree and got it in main round.

Im currently now going to this university.

So yeh, now i regret not doing a Commerce degree at USYD rather than commerce/law at Macq.

Tell me, wud i be better off with the double degree at macq, say if i wanted to persue jobs in accounting?

WHen it comes to the first job application will my accounting/law double degree have more weighting than simply an accounting majour from sydney university?

This is considering that all other external factors are removed (ie extra curriculum acitivites) and judging purely on the degrees obtained by the USYD applicant and myself.

So im saying is it really worth 5 years study at Macq for this degree rather than 3 years at Sydney which means a quicker ability to get a CPA or CA?

I can try transferring to USYD commerce which has a uai cut off of 94. I believe if i transfer first year itl be with 50% uai and 50% marks from uni yea?

Anyways me being regretful of uni choice is based on job opportunities really. Transport is not really an option i practically live 10 mins train travel ride from Macquarie university and about 30 mins to USYD so yeh...

ALso therese recent days ive done alot of research on Law schools in australia and job opportunities in the legal profession and now im getting worried about my law degree from macq.

Ne ways what do u guys think about my predicament?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Just stick out the year at MQ and transfer? Most units would be be pretty generic for law first year. Just get a decent (credit) GPA average and apply to transfer through UAC if it means that much to you.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you're worried about time, why not just drop the law? :|

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
o_O you are in a really similar situation as me except i goto unsw. I too regret not choosing pure commerce at usyd. 2 weeks into law/comm i discover that I am not really a law material and just wanna be an accountant. and if i am to drop law I should've just done commerce at usyd (closer to home and i have friends there =.=)

Here something that was helpful to me:

Danielvh: Unless you want to be a lawyer I can't see any reason to do law. It's long, expensive and difficult unless you're actually interested in it. People say "it's a good degree" and "it'll lead to other jobs besides law too" but you can easily substitute for this by doing well in the field you're actually interested in (which trust me, is so much easier to do and so much more rewarding)

tehsky

so lyk yeh.
HSC
I was in the exact same situation as you friend. Upon completing the HSC in 2007 I narrowed down my preferences to law/finance at mac (which i selected) or usyd commerce. This year i transferred to usyd commerce (didnt really enjoy law but had always been passionate about commerce, plus my grades were a lot higher in commerce related subjects). I didnt complete 8 subjects so i was selected based on my uai. If you do less than 8 your uai should be strong enough. If you do 8 make sure you get at least a credit average.

It depends on what you want to pursue career wise. If its a lawyer obviously stick to the law degree, if your not interested in that perhaps a straight bcom is the way to go (you enhance your depth in commerce knowledge, i.e. two majors). In terms of unis, both are respectable and offer excellant degrees. The degree and overall uni experience is what you make of it... your grades, experience, extra-curricular activities and personality will make the difference when getting a job. These 'external factors' will appear on your resume and transcript (subject marks, gpa etc), therefore you cant really remove them and judge based on the name of the degree itself. Would you take sameone who failed half their subjects, didnt get involved in anything extra over someone who got hds and did get involved purely based on the name of the degree......

Ultimately they are both academically and socially strong, ive had no trouble adjusting to the new uni and all the people ive met have been really friendly. The subjects have been engaging, challening, relevant and enjoyable so id definately recommend usyd commmerce if thats the field your intersted in. Your commitment and effort will make the degree, whether at usyd, unsw, mac, uws, uts, etc. What uni is best depends on your personal preferences and desires... good luck with the decisions.

Btw this is a friend's account, but feel free to pm for any further info.

Last edited:

spence

HSC
I don't think commerce is offered for internal transfers

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
usyd commerce with honours, if you feel that you'll be able to get in, will probably be a better option that macq comm/law. i think straight commerce just doesn't cut it in today's world though.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
usyd commerce with honours, if you feel that you'll be able to get in, will probably be a better option that macq comm/law. i think straight commerce just doesn't cut it in today's world though.
what an ignoramus statement. pass some of what you're smoking please

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
as hikari clover suggested...why dont you just do a mid year transfer into usyd com if thats what you want?

in addition to what you mentioned earlier about a degree void of any other effects i.e. all other things equal....

man that is not gonna happen. they wouldnt really judge you based on where your degree came from. it would be a combination of that, extra-curricular, how well you perform in your interviews and academic results.

Mudz12

HSC
I think ill transfer to Usyd commerce in july (next semester).

I dont think i want to do Law.

More advice is welcome :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Commerce at USYD is not offered midyear through UAC.

Wait until end of the year and go apply again. You'll be judged on 50/50 UAI and your Macquarie yearly WAM (GPA).

Last edited:

kokodamonkey

HSC
apply at end of year for com/law sydney.. you need like distinction average though bro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)