Related material for Coleridge? (1 Viewer)

PurpleSky

HSC
Hi, I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to use as related material for Coleridge.
It's hard to determine exactly what texts undergo an "Imaginary Journey" and its been even harder to find texts that relate back to nature, isolation, self-realisation etc (the issues Coleridge deals with).

I dunno, if anyone has any ideas plz post them up. Thanks.

Lileane

HSC
If you can't think of anything exact to match the themes, maybe broaden the scope of your key words. When you talk about nature, is it physical nature, or could it also be human nature? For example, Coleridge's LTB could both be about the beauty of nature, as well as human nature in his relations with his friends, the way he feels about being trapped in a "prison," why he feels that way. Is isolation physical isolation, or mental/interpersonal isolation? Is the poet being isolated or is he isolating himself? etc etc.
In your related texts, you probably already know this, but they don't necessarily have to involve a character going on an imaginative journey, the story itself could be the imaginative journey of the author, as well as that of the responder.

ang3licjuliet

HSC
i agree. it is very hard to find related texts with coleridge and imaginative journey, especially when u want to find a text that is unique

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
if u r really really really stuck, you might like to have a look at some other Romanticist poets or writers. they would talk much about the same thing as coleridge would. but then, this would limit your scope of related texts.

niteshade1312

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
if u r really really really stuck, you might like to have a look at some other Romanticist poets or writers. they would talk much about the same thing as coleridge would. but then, this would limit your scope of related texts.
I wouldn't advise to do that. You shouldn't use a related text that is already in the same form. I used a painting and a movie, both using aspects in common with Coleridge and Romanticism. It doesn't have to fit perfectly, because you definately won't find one. If you have certain aspects that you want to highlight, then find a related texts that highlights this aspect aswell.

Pity all that hard work and now I can't even remember the aspects I tried to highlight or my thesis.

kitty_purrswell

Butter your own muffin
HSC
I found that the Tim Burton film 'Big Fish' was a fantastic supp. for Coleridge and Imaginative Journeys. Coleridge sees the world according to pantheistic ideals, i.e his interpretation of the world in which he lives is based around the divinity of nature. This is quite noticeable in Lime-Tree Bower and Frost At Midnight, where the persona is transported into the metaphysical realm as a result of the beauty of nature. Like Coleridge, Burton uses the beauty of nature and the human mind, in order to escape from the harsh realities that face each character in real time.

Anyway, give it a go if you haven't seen it. I haven't really heard of anyone doing it as a supp. material as yet, though I could be wrong.

Hope that helps :)

fat_penguin

HSC
you could use Finding Neverland.. i'm not sure whether it's all that original or whatever, but since it's a pretty new film, i'm sure not that many people have used it yet..

it relates pretty well to all your themes... the whole Neverland thing for Coleridge's pantheistic views, the main characters are really isolated in the beginning of the film, and it's all about learning to use your imagination to liberate yourself, hence the self realisation part.. and yeh as you can see it has a very strong imaginative journey theme going there.. so yep! that's my suggestion =)

if you do decide to use it and get stuck, i dunno what kinda help i'd be but i used it last year, so feel free to ask :)

laptopman_01

HSC
I dunno if you guys feel the same but I have found that Coleridge sort of challenged the conventional views of reality at the time through his poem 'Kubla Khan' and I am using this argument to support the use of the Matrix films as supp texts. The Matrix challenges conventional views of reality and thus sends the responder on an imag journey to find the metaphysical meaning behind the films.

If what I just said makes no sense then please don't blame me as I have only just got home from a 14 hour trip.

glitzgal

HSC
Hey There,

Well, I don't believe that it is that difficult to find an imaginative journey that can relate back to Coleridge, its just depends on you interpretation of things, such as: What is imaginative journey to you?

Anyway, I did a stereotypical imaginative journey "The Wizard Of Oz", for comparison to This Lime Tree Bower My Prison, the key linking theme being appreciation and isolation.
And I did Edgar Allan Poe's infamous poem "The Raven" for a comparison to the dark and quiet poem Frost At Midnight, the key linking theme being sorrow and separation from ones love (whether it be ones lover or love of nature)

Hope It isn't too late to help you. Everybody elses responses were probably more helpful.

tah tah.
love bec

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)