Related Text for Physical Journeys (1 Viewer)

karly.

HSC
hey im doing physical journeys atm too.

the related texts we have are;
Beneath Clouds (a film)
A Road Not Taken (text, in the blue stimulus booklet)
Lionheart (a book)

and there is a few others.
when i get the rest of them down, ill pass them on.

deathtothehsc

HSC
Try "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Walter Salles..

its actually pretty good i mean sure its in another language but there in subtitles and in the end doesnt that make all the difference? :burn:

Chetzie

HSC
would a magazine article about lets say... shackleton or one of the people that went to antarctica be a good thing for physical journeys?

could i use an extract or something for my related text of own choosing?

help would be appreciated =]

thanks!

TKM30N

HSC
heyy som1 help me comon
..lets be srs i got no RT for rabbit proof fence
som1 give m some suggestions and comment if
u happen to have anything on stolen for experience through language or dialoguee

thankss.. peace:p

MissGloss9590

HSC
I chose "Remember the Titans", "Beyond the Wave" by Trisha Broadbridge and "Top of the World" by Dixie Chicks.
They got me really high marks and I'm taking them into the exam (hopefully I will remember how to relate them to Away)

:)

charlee.

HSC
N/A
hay can anyone help me. im doing lord of the rings for my related text for journeys. does anyone have any notes they can send me or have any other related texts they can help me with? i did it ages ago and lost all my info. thankss.

donniesweet

The Iconoclaster
HSC
Hey my prescribed text is "Away" and I was going to do "Ice Age" for one of my related texts. Is that a good choice?
And I'm having trouble finding another related text. Any suggestions?

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
donniesweet said:
Hey my prescribed text is "Away" and I was going to do "Ice Age" for one of my related texts. Is that a good choice?
And I'm having trouble finding another related text. Any suggestions?
Don't do Ice Age. It's perceived as a kiddy film and markers don't like that. You're better off doing a more "adult" film like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There's an entire thread devoted to related texts for Physical Journeys. Look at that.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
o.bi.sess said:
Don't do Ice Age. It's perceived as a kiddy film and markers don't like that. You're better off doing a more "adult" film like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There's an entire thread devoted to related texts for Physical Journeys. Look at that.
On the contrary one of our English teachers who marked the AoS paper two years ago approves of 'Finding Nemo' as a related text.
=\

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Forbidden said:
On the contrary one of our English teachers who marked the AoS paper two years ago approves of 'Finding Nemo' as a related text.
=\
Eh... really? o_O That's weird. I think I would've gotten my head bitten off if I tried to use one of those animated texts as a related. Although I do get why Finding Nemo is a good choice, it's just the "kiddiness" that puts me off.

That and my friend (who is ranked second and very protective of her ranking) would've strangled me and staked my head if I tried. Ah, such nice friends I have. T.T

donniesweet

The Iconoclaster
HSC
o.bi.sess said:
what else do you recommend? anything else that's not another movie

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Hey the movie 'Almost Famous' works pretty well with Away as a friend of mine is in Standard and doing that text and choosing Away. Since I also like the movie is it remotely possible that it works with Skrzynecki?

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
donniesweet said:
Oooops sorry for recommending another movie, but can someone answer my question please, esp. about what poem Almost Famous relates to.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
donniesweet said:
Newspaper/magazine articles are always good choices. Flip through National Geographic. They have the best articles for physical journeys, I found. Just go to your local library, grab a stack of them (maybe for the last three months) and take a browse. I found one of my related texts in the magazine and saw plenty of others that would've done just as well.

FLYHAWK14 said:
Oooops sorry for recommending another movie, but can someone answer my question please, esp. about what poem Almost Famous relates to.
Sorry, have never seen Almost Famous. If you give a brief summary, maybe then I could help?

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
o.bi.sess said:
Newspaper/magazine articles are always good choices. Flip through National Geographic. They have the best articles for physical journeys, I found. Just go to your local library, grab a stack of them (maybe for the last three months) and take a browse. I found one of my related texts in the magazine and saw plenty of others that would've done just as well.

Sorry, have never seen Almost Famous. If you give a brief summary, maybe then I could help?
Plot summary: William Miller is a 15 year old kid, hired by Rolling Stone magazine to tour with, and write about Stillwater, an up and coming rock band. This wonderfully witty coming of age film follows William as he falls face first to confront life, love, and lingo.

I know there's more but that's the basic plot of the movie

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
FLYHAWK14 said:
Plot summary: William Miller is a 15 year old kid, hired by Rolling Stone magazine to tour with, and write about Stillwater, an up and coming rock band. This wonderfully witty coming of age film follows William as he falls face first to confront life, love, and lingo.

I know there's more but that's the basic plot of the movie
You really can't link it superficially to Skrzynecki, like saying that the protagonists go on the same type of journey. However, you would be able to link it through concepts about the Journey - eg obstacles faced on every journey, benefits of the Journey, changes undergone because of the Journey.

Remember, the AoS paper focus is on concepts, not the text/journey itself. As long as you're able to link the texts through an idea about the Journey, then you're good, even if the Journeys are really, really different.

From the plot summary, I would say that the main concepts presented about the Journey in Almost Famous would be:

1. the journey leads to new experiences

2. a journey cannot be predicted

3. a journey leads to changes in the individual(s) undergoing the journey

For Skrzynecki, the poems that have the same concepts would be:

New experiences: Crossing the Red Sea, leaving home, a drive in the country and Postcards (to an extent)

A journey cannot be predicted: Immigrants at central station, migrant hostel, crossing the red sea (to an extent) and a drive in the country (to an extent)

Changes undergone by protagonist: Feliks Skrzynecki, migrant hostel, crossing the red sea (to an extent) and leaving home (to an extent)

Now, I didn't study Feliks Skrzynecki and Leaving Home in great detail, so take any advice I give about those two poems with a grain of salt. There are probably plenty more concepts in the film that I don't know about and many other ways of linking the two texts than through what I said.

I also have a feeling that I left out a few poems, but I can't remember what they are (or the complete list of Skrzynecki poems for that matter), so don't think that this is be all and end all. I also haven't seen the film, so all this is just my opinion about what the film is about and I could be completely, utterly and horrifyingly WRONG!

Linking the texts is ultimately up to you and if anything of what I said seems hinky, then it probably is. ;)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
'She's Leaving Home' (song by the Beatles) is an easy related text for phys. journey...
you can comment on the protagonist's transition from adolescence to adulthood (through chronology, etc), the different perspectives of journey b/w antagonists&protagonist and so on. you can analyze the phonological techniques like transition of melody, instruments, stress, etc. it doesnt take long to analyze too!

EDIT: the book by john steinbeck, Of Mice and Men is another good related text (because its classic)..

Last edited:

Rythmic

HSC
The movie, "Into The Wild" would be a decent option, however I would also advise against doing it, as a) I'm sure plenty of people will use it and b) you have to be good at analysing film/visual techniques.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)