Relevance of syllabus dot points (1 Viewer)

mrpotatoed

HSC
I notice some textbooks (jacaranda for eg) have a lot of information that I can't really relate to any syllabus dot points. Does this mean I can just ignore that stuff as it shouldn't ever appear in an exam? Or do the people who write the HSC exams interpret the dot points broadly and hence the textbooks compensate with extra information that we should infact know?

klee98

HSC
I notice some textbooks (jacaranda for eg) have a lot of information that I can't really relate to any syllabus dot points. Does this mean I can just ignore that stuff as it shouldn't ever appear in an exam? Or do the people who write the HSC exams interpret the dot points broadly and hence the textbooks compensate with extra information that we should infact know?
I've been doing past trials and so far i haven't seen any 'Jacaranda's extra info' related questions, but i slide them next to my notes nontheless. Sort of like a contingency

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
the thing with Jacaranda is sometimes it assumes you know very little. It is generally a great source for textbook.
But there is one area I have be told to avoid it for. Do not use it for redox reactions*, use conquering chemistry instead. Apart from that, it is a useful source. *Although I reckon it is okay for the research project/practicals.

When Jacaranda has practical write-ups I would recommend copying and pasting.

mrpotatoed

HSC
That would be chapter 4 of the textbook right? The stuff involving galvanic cells? Thanks for the heads up.

xenophanes

HSC
What specific extra information do you mean? Some of it can be chucked into long (6-8mk) answers in your trials/hsc.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
some of it is foundational stuff so that you can understand
sometimes it is additional examples beyond those required in the syllabus to illustrate a given concept
e.g. instead of just going HCl, H2SO4 and citric acid (as required in the syllabus), Jacaranda also covers nitric acid and some others.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
The syllabus dot points are significant as BOSTES (the ones who make the HSC Examination) base all their questions on that dot points listed on that syllabus- taking note of the all important verbs at accompany each dot points. I think what you said is plausible, each dot point does encompass a a plethora of concepts and textbooks make an attempt to cover relevant topics. However, as a HSC student, I think you will be able to differentiate the important, primary information needed for exams and the complementary information accompanying it. :)

Hope you can use your textbook and syllabus better now!:)

kabytto

HSC
The HSC exam is (mainly) based on your main science text books- so jacaranda and conquering chem.
The top brass use them as a source when writing questions.

As someone said above the dot points are the main focus, so you should memorise those parts of the textbook, BUT you should read through the entire textbook (or chapter) at least once before you hit the exams. Just my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)