Reliance on laptops/computers for Law? (1 Viewer)

cricketfan10

HSC
Hey, I was just wondering, for Law based courses and its work requirement at ANU, do people find themselves relying on a laptop or computer a lot? Is it possible to manage without one, or limited access to a computer (as i imagine would be the case living on campus)?

thanks

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
cricketfan10 said:
Hey, I was just wondering, for Law based courses and its work requirement at ANU, do people find themselves relying on a laptop or computer a lot? Is it possible to manage without one, or limited access to a computer (as i imagine would be the case living on campus)?

thanks
Presumably your law faculty has computers for students to use but it's so much easier when you've got your own. You don't have to worry about not finding a free computer during those times of the year when everyone else are also working on their assigments or exam notes, and you don't have to worry about time restrictions/opening hours/location.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
It's not crucial, as there are many computers on campus. That said, having your own is a big plus (for reasons already stated), and it will be an extension of your personal space (which may help you settle in).

Most people I know have their own computer, most law students bring them into lectures for note taking.

EDIT: note also that all law subjects that I've taken requires submitted assignments to be word-processed.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cricketfan10 said:

thanks
Most colleges on campus have their own computer labs. You'll find alot of people in law take notes with their laptop, but you don't need to, and personally I think that it's useless to take a computer to class anyway. You may want to buy a cheap desktop computer when you come down here, cheap monitors and computers will be fairly easy to come by.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
i dunno what makes law different, but i've sat a tonne of economics/finance units where i could probably see 2 people using laptops.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
jas0nt said:
i dunno what makes law different, but i've sat a tonne of economics/finance units where i could probably see 2 people using laptops.
For the same reason why so many law kids have Blackberrys.

A) They'll scramble for any perceived possible advantage.

B) They're self important douchebags and love technology which increases their own sense of self importance.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
B) They're self important douchebags ... which increases their own sense of self importance.
I agree. The only other group worse than self-important douchebag law students are the narcissistic 'bow-before-me' med students.

dolbinau

HSC
neo o said:
For the same reason why so many law kids have Blackberrys.

A) They'll scramble for any perceived possible advantage.
Out of curiosity, what possible 'perceived advantages' could there be?

piitb

HSC
if you havent used a blackberry then you wouldnt know

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
I bring my lappy to classes because I type faster than i can write, and more importantly, I have horrible handwriting.

Evilo

HSC
this is also in the faq section - bring a laptp if you can afford one, i doubt with law you would have diagrams so it would be pretty useful. Also you get wireless interenet in most lecture halls. Be warned if you dont have self control you will get distracted with a laptop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)