• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

religion and sex before marriage - REDONE (1 Viewer)

will you have sex before marriage and are you religious

• yes i will have sex before, i am NOT religious

Votes: 112 39.6%
  • yes i will have sex before, i AM religious

Votes: 69 24.4%
  • no i will not have sex before, i am NOT religious

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • no i will not have sex before, i AM religious

Votes: 84 29.7%

• Total voters

santaslayer

HSC
I'm Cathoclic, although not religious at all. I don't believe in sex after marriage, that's when everything gets dull. :p
I'm relatively open, so sex after or before marriage isn't a big concern. :)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Asqy, must you be so anal and lecture everyone about the way the world is in each and every thread?

Let people work it out themselves.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I'm not saying you're wrong and don't patronize me. All I'm saying is this is a topic that can be argued over and over again and it's something everyone has their own opinions on. Nobody wants to come here and be lectured by someone who has nothing better to do.

But I'll do as you say and haul my ununtelligent arse back to NS because I can't stand to read anymore of almighty, godlike dribble.

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
Asquithian said:
1.Maybe because people dont like change or to be challegned..prefer to brainlessly float around basing their lives on lies.

2. opinions are important and so is discussion of them...otherwise the world would still be flat.

3. My post is very anti god.

4. Yes NS is entertaining if you like shows like Australians funniest home videos. The rate of good threads in NS is very low.
1. ill challenge you!

2. opinions are only as important as other people imagine them to be

3. yay anti godness!

4. who said a thread ever needed to be good?...entertainment is always more interesting than discussion. entertaining discussion being the holy grail of all threads :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
im not even slightly religious, and i would have sex before marriage, but at the same time, i think a physical relationship is something to be entered only in serious relationships and stuff, i think you should be committed to each other before shagging
but that being said, i have nothing against people doing casuals or anything either

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Asqui... you assume that by a religious (hate that word) person saying that abstinance prevents unwanted pregnancies/stds or whatever that they don't have a clue about the real world. Of course everybody knows about condoms and the pill and the like, but that doesn't guarentee anything. Just because a condom makes sex safe doesnt mean it works every time. Im not denying the use of contraceptive techniques, but the thing is you cant have sexual problems if you dont have sex ;)

In my opinion, sex before marriage is like a present from God. If you unwrap it to find out if its something you like, then you might be opening someone elses present. If you dont like the present you can try to wrap it back up, but no matter how good at wrapping you are, its not going to be like how it was. Basically, you ruined the collecters value for the rightful person... man that last bit sounds geeky.

Its been psychologically proven that people who move to the more physical steps in a relationship faster also tend to have more problems later in their relationship. Its not a set in stone thing, but if you take your relationship slow and wait till marriage then your relationship will probably be stronger for it.

I chose what I chose not because it's a rule... but because I love my God, and I love the woman who will be my wife, and i want to ensure that I do what is right by both of them. Not because I don't know anything about the "real world".

twiddla

Hey I'm religous and i don't obstain for the reason that i might get std's, get a girls pregnant etc. I think it just makes sense that a non sex based relationship is likely to work better than a sex based one cos it is built on what i would call a more solid foundation. therefore it makes sense not to have sex until you are absolutely committed to one another ie after you've taken wedding vows. Besides i think that unlike any other thing - if u have the strength to resist sex for one person and one person only - it is really going to show how much you love them and make them feel really special.

In my opinion, sex before marriage is like a present from God. If you unwrap it to find out if its something you like, then you might be opening someone elses present. If you dont like the present you can try to wrap it back up, but no matter how good at wrapping you are, its not going to be like how it was. Basically, you ruined the collecters value for the rightful person
I think the way wilmo has put it is spot on

Last edited by a moderator:

twiddla

Once u love one another enough to marry not many ppl are exactly going to run off to be 'sexually liberated' - while sex shld be a special thing it shldn't be everything in marriage, you shld marry for more reasons than that - your little list also seems like worst case senario's - the whole concept of needing to know someone sexually in order to know them fully to me seems a little extreme - you seem to be confusing the concepts of eroticism and love.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Asquithian said:
you are saying that you can know someone well enough to marry them without having sex with them. Which to me seems nuts
Also I think never having had a sexual relationship, they couldn't really know this anyway

Rory

HSC
My religion doesn't affect my views on pre-marital sex, I beleive in testing out the goods ;) lol that's what my mum has always taught me at least :)

meshy

neeja said:
interesting theories chook. however because of some peoples mentalitys, i reckon there will be a lower value placed on marriage. of course there will be less adultery if everyone waited till they were married, but divorce would sky rocket.
the reason for this skyrocket would be that people would be unsatisfied, and so they would divorce and marry someone else, be unsatisfied and repeat the process. much like some people do now with dating.
Why would they be unsatisfied? That's bunkum!

I know it's a generalisation, but I think it's fair to say that how conservative someone is, is correlated with them waiting until marriage for sex.

So a couple bothered waiting that long until marriage to have sex, I'm sure they would be more inclined to "make things work" etc - they have a lifetime to figure each other out sexually, instead of throwing in the towel. I can't imagine too many ppl from conservative backgrounds having divorces, hence why divorce is only significant in western nations where ppl generally aren't conservative and are more open to having premarital sex.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes i will have sex before, i am NOT religious 26 48.15%
yes i will have sex before, i AM religious 12 22.22%
no i will not have sex before, i am NOT religious 2 3.70%
no i will not have sex before, i AM religious 14 25.93%

poll atm, pretty much what i expected in a way. about 2:1 for the top 2 and 1:7 for the bottom 2 categories

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Asquithian said:
1. You assume that you fall in love only once? Lotsa of people do fall in love only once but many dont.
I dont assume that. Maybe the person I'm in "love" with now isnt going to be the person I always love. Therefore it would be good not to have sex with her because she is the person who someone else is going to love for the rest of their life.

I would only marry her if I was sure that I was going to spend the rest of my life with her. For me, marriage isnt a ceremony, its a commitment i am making til the day I die, and i will not base a decision that big on something I havent thought through.

Asquithian said:
Later life sexual function and sexual compatability of your future husband or wife is important to sexual relations in marriage.
I agree. Sex is a major part of marriage. I want to save it for that because if I have sex with any of my long term girlfriends, marriage becomes just a ceremony... I have kept nothing for marriage and therefore i am devaluing the vows I make.

I said elsewhere that I am trusting God to find me a sexually compatible partner. I believe that he will find me someone who I can be intimate with. But if she isnt, I dont really care. I spent all that time before we were married getting to know the awesome person she is. If I dismissed her purely on the fact that she can't satisfy me sexualy, I would devalue the woman who I love.

Both things I do not want to do.

Asquithian said:
Im not sure how you can love someone completely and on every level without knowing them sexually beforehand...and as i said before sexuality makes us what we are. To not understand your partner before marriage in this respect is a bit odd...it can lead to sexual problems in this because you didnt have sex.
You do not love someone completely before you marry them. You love them enough. After marriage you are supposed to grow more in because you are experiencing something different to what you were when you were just in a relationship. If you use up all the things you save for marriage while your going out, you dont have anything special about it.

Its like buying presents for your girlfriend. Some people are crazy and have like one week aniversaries etc. Imagine if for your one week aniversary, you spent lots of money. For your next aniversary, you have to spend more and more. Eventually by the time your yearly aniversary rolls around, your out of money and you've already bought her the most expensive things. Instead of trying to outdo yourself, you should take it slow.

Asquithian said:
To suggest that by not having sex you will not have sexual problems is oversimplistic. But supressing your sexuality and the expression of it you are probably doing more harm since sex and release of sexual frustration are natural things.
Im not denying that we are sexual beings... we were created to be that. But you can be sexually frustrated going to fast and going to slow, both of which can lead to problems later in life. Personally, i prefer the going slow option because it ensures my sexual problems do not become someone elses (eg ex girlfriend's future husband) later. Of course if i do have problems it will affect my wife, but we can work through it together.

When i wrote that i was specifically talking about STD's and pregnancy. If i have an STD, by not having sex I cant pass it on. I also cant get one without doing it either. I know of only one person who got pregnant without having sex, and that was a divine conception ;) So if i never have sex then noone will get pregnant.

It is oversimplified but it works in those cases.

Asquithian said:
People worked so hard for sexual liberty and now neo conservatives in the church lying and scaring our teenagers into NO sexual expression...all we get are misimformed sexually scared and repressed teenagers who are missing out on the best years of their lives.
Now who's generalising? At no point in my church life has anyone got up and said that I cant express myself sexually if I want to... Noone should be allowed to say that. They especially should not be allowed to say that if i have sex before marriage Im going to hell. Its plain and simply not true.

I can do anything I like. I can have sex with as many people as I like and I will not go to hell for it. It is sinful because i am living in "passionate lust like the heathens", BUT there is no sin that God cannot forgive. I am not forced by the church to a life of restraint because it puts my soul in peril.

If i do chose to live a life like that, I will have to face the concequences of it though. Just like if i murder someone, i can still go to heaven, but i have to face the earthly justice and get life in prison/death. So if im sexually over active, i have to face the problems that arise from that life style. Then the person I eventually spend the rest of my life with has to deal with those concequences.

You must understand that the church does not dictate how I act because of rules set up to keep people from knowing the truth. I act in a way that parallels what the church wants because I know the Truth. If I was restricted by rules I'd want to rebell... but im not! I said this in my earlier post; I love God and i will love my wife so I want to live a life that shows I love them both.

If these really are the best years of our lives, why does Australia have such a high youth suicide rate? If getting paz makes parties so much more fun why dont people remember what they did the night before?

Again that is an over statement, but what makes these years so great?

meshy

Asquithian this is the first time I've seen you get kinda owned in argument.

If what you were saying is true, why would countries like the US and Aus have high premarital sex rates, and the HIGHEST divorce rates in the world. Conservative nations probably have the lowest premarital sex rates, and the lowest divorce rates.

"Sexual compatability?" Haha. Do you really believe people are somehow unchangeable computers who cannot over time (I mean, you have a lifetime with your partner anyway!) learn to please the one they're with?

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Asquithian said:
So you love them...you have sex because you really really really love them...

How do you know that that person is ther person who are going to love for the rest of your life? Do you really know...how do you test that you are going to love them for the rest of your life? Life is dynamic, you cant just suddenly say i will love this person forever...you might in a perfect world but many of us will fall in love more than once in our lives...

We will make mistakes...how are you know that loving someone isnt a mistake?

Dont answer with 'i just know'...or anything to do with God...remember religion is not logical its emotional...try and answer logically not emotionally.
How do I know I will love that person for the rest of my life? Because I made that decision the day that I marry her! "Forsaking all others" is one of the things I say, and it is something I will stick to. She is the one person I truly care about and know deeply, so I will not leave her just because some other person comes a long.

Obviously I dont have the rest of my life mapped out and I cant be sure of what will happen so nothing is certain. But I have the experience of all those who have made the same choices before me. My parents made the same decision i have made, and after about 26 years of marriage theyre still going strong.

Granted not everybody is the same, but if what you say about needing to have sex before marriage is true, I know a lot of people who should have had a lot of problems that don't. I have a lot of examples of people who chose the same path and do not have problems. So I have confidence that I can be the same.

Asquithian said:
that is so grounded in fantacy land its not funny.

"Sex is a major part of marriage"...but if she cant satisfy you if wont devalue her? POSSIBLY...BUT you will be very sexually frustrated and as most studies find sexual regularity is linked to happyness.

Relgion...emotional rather than logical.
What about all those people who for one reason or another have a life of celebasy forced upon them? Human beings are amazing creatures. When forced to live a lifestyle contrary to what is natural, they can adapt. Sex is only a nessecity for those people who can have it.

Asquithian said:
marriage is really just a formality consolidating legal ties between partners. Its a serious thing with many legal and financial responsibilties.

To say that after you have sex there is nothing more is a bit rich...so you can run out off exciting stuff in relationship.

So you get married and you finally have sex....you have lotsa of sex...you get bored...suddenly the marriagle isnt special...people get bored with sex while they are still married just like they do when they are not married...its just when sex gets boring after 3 months of marriage that people get divorces or commit adultary.

Id prefer to get that period over and done with before getting married...its about getting to know your partner before taking serious joint economic and legal responsibility.
If you do not understand Christianity, it is impossible for you to understand marriage. You see marriage as a legal binding. It is that now. But in my honest opinion, I wish the church never forced marriage (or itself) onto a pagan society because now marriage is no longer seen as a gift from God because most marriages are now conducted without him.

Marriage is a gift of God. It is symbolic of Christ's love for his church. That is a relationship which is so intimate and so strong that nothing can break it. For two people who love God to get married, it is symbolising they they are making the same level of commitment. They are not going to go chasing after the next best thing.

Sex isn't the be all and end all of marriage. As I said before, if i could not have sex with my wife I would still love her. If I got bored with having sex with my wife, I would still love her. Because of the decision I made to love her like christ loves me, I would love her no matter what.

Life itself is not all about sex. Sex has 2 functions:

1. It feels good. As with all things that feel good, you can have two much of it. Eventually its not going to feel like it once did. Especially if you do it a lot. Of course sex will get boring fast if you do it all the time. That would happen to anything. Thats why you have to take it slow and enjoy what it is.

2. To have children. Can you imagine if everytime you had sex you fell pregnant? You wouldnt want to do it very often ;) Sex can be boring if you dont want to have children because you are only doing half the job it is designed for.

You do not make a lifetime commitment for three months of pleasure. When you make a decision as big as marriage, you do not call it quits whenever the feeling goes. If your only in it for the feeling, then dont get married. You are not going to be together forever with that attitude. But hey I guess thats what you want.

Asquithian said:
its oversimplified and an easy answer...its like asnwer a question with 'i just know' or 'i feel like it'

1. Children come from sex...divine intervention is ribbish...if you believe that...stop and think...think really hard about how much that sounds like a fairy tail.

Abstinance has never worked. Saying STD's will decreased and teen preganancies will decrease when you tell kids not to have sex JUST DOESNT WORK.

it may work personally for you because you have blind unquestioning faith in the bible (a book written by chinese whispers) but for the rest of society it rarely works.
Sometimes easy answers are the best. Take bush medicine for example. Would you ever think to go to a tree, scrunch up its leaves and smell them to cure a cold? No. We always try to complicate things.

I know you dont (and a lot of other people dont either) believe in divine conception, but I do. And it doesn't bother me that you don't. It's hard to believe. But I believe in a God who is capable of raising people from the dead, and as such is capable of doing it. I said it as a semi-joke anyway.

If i tell my kids not to have sex, they will probably do it. I wasnt sugguesting that anyone needs abstainance. I was say the simple fact that if noone had sex, then diseases wouldnt spread and people wouldnt get pregnant. I never said it was something people could do. But if you are denying the fact that without sex STD's and unwanted pregnancies wouldnt happen, I think you need to think loligically.

My faith is not unquestionable... considering I had to question it to put my faith in it. The bible is not a book of chinese whispers. I think you need to do a bit of reasearch from people who are not totally opposed to christianity. You'll find the opposition makes up as many things as they claim the bible does.

Just because I believe in God, it doesn't mean I can be abstinant for my entire life! Do you think it would be easy to say no if someone you were keen on came up to you and said lets do it right here right now? Hell no. It would be hard but I would have to say no because I want to respect whoever it is I marry. Although it may be her, I wouldnt take a chance.

Asquithian said:
Dont look now but it is dictating how you act.

You know the truth? How can you know the truth if you have faith in it. How can you question something if you have total faith in it? You cannot successfully question something if you have total faith in it...if you already know the answer before you even try to question it?

You are not restricted by the rules because you dont challenge them and are happy to accept them.
You ALWAYS use this point. I keep telling you that you CAN question what you have faith in and MUST question it otherwise you have faith for no reason. Before you put your faith in something you must question why you would. Why do you believe what you believe? If you were shown two black boxes, one had eternal salvation the other had eternal condemnation, which box would you chose? You must choose one and you must have a reason for choosing it. Obviously you have to question why you would pick one box over the other!

How can I break rules which don't exist? For there to be rules there has to be something I have to do before I can not do it. When there is something I HAVE to do, it isnt christianity, it is religion. I am not happy to accept religion, but I am happy to live how I want which is also happens to be in accordance with what the church values.

Asquithian said:
Spoiled...taking the easy way out? They think their life is tough without considering that people in other parts of the world do it much tougher and are happy. We demand alot from some of our teenagers these days...we have serious responsibities...for some people many more than in past generations.

I think our teenagers should have it told to them...not sugar coated in a perfect world relgious fairy tail not often doesnt occur for most people.

They find out the church is a lie and has been lying to them for a long time?

Getting pissed? at a party is fun because people like to escape from the realities...most people can remember the night before.

much like how people like to go to church and surround them with other people who can agree and reaffirm their belief in a peer pressure surrounding.
Cowardly? You dare to call people who commit sucide cowardly? You said it yourself they are under a lot of pressure. Some people cant handle pressure as well as others because of a chemical imbalence in the brain. For someone whos mind convinces them things are a million times worse then they are to crack under the pressure you call it cowardly?!

The church lies? Im glad I dont go to any of those such churches! I find it hard to lie about something that so obviously says these people form 2000 years ago are just like you. They have the same social issue the same confusion and desires as you, they just lived elswhere. When you start making up lies you are telling the world about your own personal brand of Jesus, and that is not what the bible is about.

Thats interesting... parties/bars are churches in themselves. I've been told that and I can see how its true.

Asquithian said:
These years should be great because it is when we learn and when we decide our own values and what is right and wrong. To have it fed and to accept it is dangerous.
You do not need to be fed whats right and wrong. You have your own sense of decency to tell you that. You think murder is wrong, you think rape is wrong, you think lots of things are wrong. Not because you were fed it from an institution, but because you knew it all along.

We do not need to be told what is right and whats wrong because we have been given a sense of justice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)