religion textbooks (1 Viewer)

kate86

Hey wat textbooks do people use that do Studies oF religion 1 unit? do people use textbooks at school or even study guides, like excel or macquarie revision guides?

untamedanimal

I use 3:

1. This little blue one that I use in desperate situations
2. Macquarie
3. This cd rom text book given to us. It was written by an actual SOR teacher and its the main source i use. Apparantly this teacher gives it to his students and all of them got atleast 40/50.

Rahul

Dead Member
i used a couple of texts and then study guides.

dont know the names of them, coz they are in a box in the garage:p
but i think they were living religion and sudies of religion(??..not sure, it was pretty chunky).
also i used the study guides, the macquarie guide wins hands down.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Hey Untamed,
would you be able to PM/send me the details of that CDROM you were talking about? Im curious......
Thanks

Rahul

Dead Member
i think i received bits of it too when i did sor last yr.

but my teacher was a bit tight in letting us have a copy, so he just used to hand out sheets/b'lets of the stuff we did, as we were doing it.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
LOL- I think I know the CDROM but there might be another one. I was more curious about the every student got 40/50 statement as if its the CD Im thinking of, thats not true (the teacher who wrote it was a 2 unit only teacher and my niece was in his class......) he was never there hence the typed notes!!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
So anyway, animal please get back to me OK....... (wish you had an email/PM option!!)

kate86

oh ok... the reason i was asking was because my school doesnt supply religion textbooks so im thinking its about time i bought something, probably just a study guide. what do people think of excel and macquarie?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Just get the macquarie. Excell is a waste of $$ especially the small purple one as it doesnt cover all the topics. The big one is slightly better but the info is average.....

Probably would be better off doing your own research and using the syllabus as a guide IMO if you are going to settle for one text......

Rahul

Dead Member
between excel and macquarie, better to get the macquarie...

although, as snapperhead mentioned, it is a very good idea to use the syllabus and a solid text as the basis for your notes.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
we use a Living Religions book in class... well i never take it to school but we are expected to do readings from it before class. Our teacher also gives us booklets with relevant info she photocopied from other books.. e.g. for the 2u foundation study or whatever it is on Reigious Rites she gave us a booklet on rites of initiation for judaism, another booklet on rites of initiation for christianity and another two booklets on another rite. She also gives us info she has written up herself in class, and we have a sharepoint thingy on the net so we can get info from her while we're not at school.
hmmmmm, resources on the net....
care to share??
LOL

kate86

yeah i do use the syllabus as a basis for all my notes for all my other subjects. but with religion we don't actually get given much work, (a lot of the work we get given is irrelevant too) so its hard to try to use the syllabus as a base to writing study notes on work we dont actually have. thats why i want to get a study guide because im falling behind...

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
use the macquarie revision book

i would never advice anyone to buy excel books for any subject! NEVER!
there are so many better books out there

living religion is good but lacks a lot of CR study which is covered quite well in the macq rev guide.....but even then you will need supplement text to help you out

untamedanimal

About that CD-Rom i cant find the name of the author but i can see that it was published by Emmaus Publications in 2002

I'll ask my teacher when school starts because he knows the guy

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
we use the excel one, but it's crap
so we got the macquarie revision guide and it covers the christianity bit pretty well.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by untamedanimal
About that CD-Rom i cant find the name of the author but i can see that it was published by Emmaus Publications in 2002

I'll ask my teacher when school starts because he knows the guy
Is it like a "textbook" with information (sort of follows the syallabus) and activities and at the end of each chapter is a fairly comprehensive bibliography??
If so, its a guy by the name of Jakob Sorenson (or something like that.). He's the principal of the Catholic High School up at Port Macquarie. He got busted for plagarism (mainly stole Peter Mudges stuff from Living Religions-Mudgey's a mate of mine along with Excel). I dont think you can buy the CD's any more because Peter demanded compensation and that other guy couldnt afford it!!
The info is OK- Just becareful of some of the sources.....

BTW Do you have both the yr 11 and Yr 12 stuff? Im curious to have a look at his Yr 11 stuff, especially the unit he "wrote" on Islam...... if you have it that is......

philly17

How many teachers are on this site? like i'm just wondering cose snapperhead u are very handy lol

untamedanimal

My teacher said the name once cause he knows him but i dont think thats the guy he said. I dont have the CD-ROM, its my teachers, i just get copies. And my teacher does have the prelim one

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
if you can score copies, I would be vety interested in having a look. Maybe we can arrange something.....pm/email me

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Philomena_86
How many teachers are on this site? like i'm just wondering cose snapperhead u are very handy lol
Officially there are about 8 of us who are registered as teachers but I know at least 5 other teachers who lurk and post as "students". I'm the only SOR teacher (I think), CM_Tutor is in maths and chem, Buchanan is in maths and chem (?), Andrew_Blackwel in in IPT and SDD and there are a couple of others in Maths, IPT, SDD and English but I dont know if they still post.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)