• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religious affiliation (2 Viewers)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city was pure gold, as clear as glass. 19 The wall of the city was built on foundation stones inlaid with twelve gems: the first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. 21 The twelve gates were made of pearls – each gate from a single pearl! And the main street was pure gold, as clear as glass.
Revelation 21:18-21, last book in Bible

i think this particular part is describing what is known as the New Jerusalem... God's heavenly kingdom coming to the new earth after people have been in heaven for 1000years.

23 And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. 24 The nations of the earth will walk in its light, and the rulers of the world will come and bring their glory to it. 25 Its gates never close at the end of day because there is no night. 26 And all the nations will bring their glory and honor into the city. 27 Nothing evil will be allowed to enter – no one who practices shameful idolatry and dishonesty – but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.
Rev 22 gets even more exciting, its the very last chapter

Last edited:

Paz

Chookyn, do you believe that Chrisitianity is the only true religion? i.e do you denounce all other religions that are seemingly in contravention with Christianity?

Doogsy

chookyn said:
for non-believers, earth is the only heaven they'll know

for believers, earth is the only hell they'll know
In this statement what you are saying is that Earth sucks. It is the worst place possibly imaginable. If there is a heaven waiting for us, why should we ensure Earth's beauty is maintained, if its the scumhole of all gods creation?

waterfowl

HSC
Doogsy said:
In this statement what you are saying is that Earth sucks. It is the worst place possibly imaginable. If there is a heaven waiting for us, why should we ensure Earth's beauty is maintained, if its the scumhole of all gods creation?
I think what they were saying is that when comparing Earth to Heaven, it isn't that great.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
thats a bit of a stupid statement in my opinion

i dont know all about god, but i think there is something beyond

plus i doubt if u idolise the right/wrong religion you will not be allowed into heaven (if there is such a place)...im sorry i hate that when religions get compared because in the end if there is a god he loves everyone and not just the people who worship him

in the end i dont think it is the place of humen beings to know anything about god or the afterlife, all we can do is imagine....and depsite what any bible, torah or koran says i dont buy it- they are good moral guides filled with stories, but sometimes people forget what its all about

no1 has the answers in my opinion

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
define heaven? Heaven is different for everyone...proves that it is only a construction of your mind
How can you be so sure that heaven is different for everyone? :rolleyes:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i think he is saying that people hold different expectations

some people believe that heaven is a paradise with 70 virgins- which some poeple laugh at..........for others heaven is playing air hockey against hendrix

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
how can u say ur agnostic if u dont believe in god??

im agnostic and i think ur confused as to what it means to be agnostic

Sophie777

Lucky I don't care what you think.

I don't believe in the christian God, God of islam or any other God of organised religion. But, I am unsure as to whether something created the world.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
that means u have no belief

u either acknowledge god exists somewhere or u dont

and dont get offended just because ur confused about being an atheist- religion is suited for every1, but dont preach it is my opinion if ur wrong

ie dont say its impossoble for him to exist then question who created the world, thats confusing to other ppl

Sophie777

Are you not reading what I am saying?

Your God does not exist, the God in the bible does not exist.

But something created the world. I am actually not at all insulted by you callling me an atheist, I would rather be that with actual facts than just blindly follow something and be unable to prove as to why.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
firstly i dont believe in the god in the bible- im agnostic

i have my own perceptions about what god is and the purpose of life

second im annoyed because ur saying ur agnostic, while clearly having irrelevant ideas about life.

yes organised religion is stupid, but dont get sidetracked

Sophie777

You are a moron. Stop thinking you are smart. Stop defining the word agnostic so that you don't have to face the real issues. I am not wasting my time on arguing with you any longer as all you use are useless assumptions of your own beliefs without giving any statement or evidence as to God existence.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i dont think im pretending to have all the answers for every1 when i say every1 has their own perceptions. this is my belief

just because u cant even understand a simple notion like being agnostic dont bshit every1

Sophie777

Oh. Right. So this is where your argument lies? In whether I understand the meaning of being agnostic. I am unsure. And, I will have you know that I would rather worship Satan than ever have a conversation with you in real life. YOu don't listen, you come back with the same things everytime and you are criticising my misunderstanding of a term? For what reason? How does this matter to you? I will now call myself unsure?

"An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time. "

Oh my, Josiekiller. I think we may have come across something.... YOU ARE NOT AGNOSTIC. you claim there is a God, agnostics claim that nobody can know the truth. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH...!!!!

http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/humftp/E-text/Russell/agnostic.htm

timrie6

HSC
N/A
maybe you guys should agree to disagree
people of differing religious beliefs won't have much luck changing the other's mind in my experience

Last edited:

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I would rather worship Satan than ever have a conversation with you in real life
cmon, that was a bit harsh, josiekiller is awesome to talk to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)