• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

religious influence in australia?? (1 Viewer)

ichig0

HSC
Hey pplz, i need to prepare a religious profile / snapshot of Australia c 1800, 1851 and 1901.. i've found statistics for 1851 and 1901.. but thats the furthest back i could go! i can't find anything around the early 1800s!!! I've find info about the coming and goings of religions in australia.. but no real stastics or census around that time... ><"
its for an oral assessment due first week back to school~!! help plzzz? :confused:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
ichig0 said:
Hey pplz, i need to prepare a religious profile / snapshot of Australia c 1800, 1851 and 1901.. i've found statistics for 1851 and 1901.. but thats the furthest back i could go! i can't find anything around the early 1800s!!! I've find info about the coming and goings of religions in australia.. but no real stastics or census around that time... ><"
its for an oral assessment due first week back to school~!! help plzzz? :confused:
try the abs website....
from the site
------
HOW AUSTRALIA TAKES A CENSUS

The first population counts of Australia were known as musters and were made as early as 1788. Musters involved all members of the community gathering at specified locations to be counted. These were important as a means of matching food and other supplies to the number of people needing them. The first census in Australia as we now know them was held in New South Wales in November 1828. Each of the colonies conducted their own censuses until 1886.
On 3 April 1881, the first simultaneous census of the British Empire covering the United Kingdom, India and the Crown Settlements (including Australia) was taken. This census produced the first set of colony population figures for the same day.

A census conference held in Sydney on 26 February 1900 arranged for an Australian census conducted on a uniform basis to be taken on
31 March 1901. Minor differences in the interpretation of definitions arose between the States and the method of presentation of the results differed considerably. The responses to the census questions were not tabulated in all cases and there was no co-ordinating authority to bring the results together to form a total for Australia.

http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3110122.NSF/0/ce63ddda040df8c54a25645100021141?OpenDocument
-------

ichig0

HSC
hey thanx for that..
i just went to that site..but there are no statistics or tables??
i asked the librarian about the the abs site but he said it wont be much of a help if i wanted to create a religious profile or snapshot..because the census put up are more recent ones... ><"
...or are there hidden statistics in those paragraphs.. :confused:

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Try the state government sites

"In the 1880's & 1890's a numvber of new religious groups came to Australia: the Christdelphians in 1877, Theosophical Societies, Plmouth Brethren, Mormons & Seventh-day Adventists in the 1800's. while each made a small impact, none significantly affected mainstream religions."

"In 1880 the first Salvation Army Corps was established in Adelaide by local people. Groups in other colonies were established soon aftwerwards"

Thats all i have no real stats sorry, i had a look on the net before and nothing really, if you wanted the 1880 US census though i could have given you a few links *rolls eyes*

ichig0

HSC
Tenille said:
Thats all i have no real stats sorry, i had a look on the net before and nothing really, if you wanted the 1880 US census though i could have given you a few links *rolls eyes*
US? or AUS? if AUS then yes please... ^^
thanks for looking that stuff up btw.. appreciate it. =]

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Nope US lol i don't know why it came up to tell you the truth sorry.

why i said to look at the state sites is because Australia was not technically a country in 1880 they may have some stats for each individual state, i know it might be pushing it a bit but you never know :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Go to the ABS main site and do a search...they have data going back to the first census, you just have to look....

ichig0

HSC
Tenille said:
Nope US lol i don't know why it came up to tell you the truth sorry.
why i said to look at the state sites is because Australia was not technically a country in 1880 they may have some stats for each individual state, i know it might be pushing it a bit but you never know
haha! oh yeh.. true..ahh!! why can't it be about the influences in australian society from 1901 to the present or something!! :mad:

snapperhead said:
Go to the ABS main site and do a search...they have data going back to the first census, you just have to look....
snapperhead said:
all i see are paragraphs... i need actual facts and figures but there seems to be none of that... not of the early 19th century anyway... and like Tenille said.. Australia wasn't technically a country till 1901... so would there be a census of AUSTRALIA before then?? =/

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
ichig0 said:
haha! oh yeh.. true..ahh!! why can't it be about the influences in australian society from 1901 to the present or something!! :mad:

snapperhead said:
snapperhead said:
all i see are paragraphs... i need actual facts and figures but there seems to be none of that... not of the early 19th century anyway... and like Tenille said.. Australia wasn't technically a country till 1901... so would there be a census of AUSTRALIA before then?? =/
man...no offense but do a search..... Its not going to jump out at you....
http://abs.gov.au/ there is a search function on the bottom of the page....

As the piece of info I found for you states, they were doing "musters" or census as far back as 1788 but the first major one was in 1828. The ABS does have these details but *YOU* have to find them on the ABS website.

Alternatively, use some lateral thinking and visit the various denoiminations websites and see when they came out to Australia. Despite what Tenille said, Australia not being a "country" has nothing to do with a religious snapshot of Australia back when ever.....
or just use google.com.au and select various keywords...again, I tried using 3 or 4 different search terms and came up with heaps of info...

*thinks* some people just dont know how to research.... *storms off*

go here ...and dont say Im not helpful...

Last edited:

ichig0

HSC
thanks for your time ... but i've got heaps of info about the changes of immigration tends n stuff ... but what i'm looking for specifically are tables and figures.. but there seems to be none of that...
i found a page that showed WHEN the first census took place [Nov. 1828]... but thats it. theres no actual data or table or stastics on it.

i apologise for getting u frustrated but im just as frustrated here as it's due next week!

+ i've been to that site you gave me lastly... i was looking at it with my teacher too.. and the information there is too recent.. i mean.. yeh theres info on the history of australia.. and the immigration trends and i've taken that in already... now i need statistics, and that site doesn't provide any for the 19th century...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~!!! >=O

thanks anyway.. maybe snapperhead you should stop.. it'll just annoy u more.. ^^; thanks a lot.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
the site was meant to be a starting point...if you look at the individual groups mentioned, you *should* be able to build your own data. Combine this wit info from other sources and you should get some idea. I really dont think you will get the accurate figures you are looking at ant other way in such a short period of time......
Best bet is to filter thru the various resources and put it all together

BTW I wasnt/am not frustrated...its just a running joke with SOR newbie posters.... have a look at some of the previous threads. The standard response is usually:

:)

Last edited:

ichig0

HSC
juventino said:
I'm his sidekick, and get angry at newbies that rock up and ask us to do their homework.
well i apologised and asked him to stop "doing my homework" if that's how u viewed it to be...
i can't help it if i've already got most of the info he's offered, but you know i'll be glad to help other pplz "do their homework" from BoS if they asked.

and i thank you snapperhead for your help.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
yay!! I gots me a sidekick...... Do you wear the mask or do I? (ala the lone ranger)

*gulp* didnt mean to to cause a ruckus......as I said, its just a running joke with new posters. Be glad redslert didnt see this one!!!

Now children..... dont make me come down there !!!:mad: ;)

Chill.......
lol

<---- is going to bed*

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
hehe haven't been reading up on the forums for a while
hmmmm i seem to procastinate on these forums more during study time, compared to now on my holidays :p

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
hehe haven't been reading up on the forums for a while
hmmmm i seem to procastinate on these forums more during study time, compared to now on my holidays :p
same.... marking and preparation...whats that???

BTW: did you see the new "bart board". If not, check out the thread "this ones for redslert"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)