Remember (1862) - Christina Rossetti (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
For this poem, easy to understand, I just need a few language techniques and themes to put in my listening task. Could anyone please identify some they spot? I desperately need some! Well here's the poem. Thank you.

Remember by Christina Rossetti

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day.
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.​

Edit: There's juxtaposition in lines 1-2 I think.. correct me on this.

Visual imagery of 'silent land',

The reference to the afterlife in 'when I'm gone away'.

What else?. Themes too :)

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
Than that you should remember and be sad.

Themes:
1) The nature/power of human memory
2) Immortality through the human memory
3) The instructional nature of humanity

Techniques:
> Rhyme scheme: ABBAABBACDDECE (I think) at line 9 the rhyme changes. This is indicative of the 'volta' (the change in tone highlighted by the word 'yet') which reveals the composer's change in perspective and priorities (the composer begins by telling the responder what to do but then changes to tell the them what not to do --> it's almost as if it's the responder's moral obligation to do as the composer wants).
> The tone is didactic (instructional) --> the composer is telling the responder what to do - use of verbs emphasises this.
> "hold me by the hand" --> alliteration --> repetition of 'h' sound --> 'h' sound is relatively weak which reflects the message of the poem: that is, it is not through the physical actions (holding of hands) that we attain immortality but through memory and the literary form of poetry (the preservation of our memory)
> Repetition --> "remember me" --> replicates the nature of memory, that is through repetition of the same thought through the human mind that a memory is created and not forgotten
> juxtaposition/paradox: "forget and smile" --> ignorance is bliss when the memory is of "darkness and corruption", "remember and be sad" is the same as "forget and smile" just the other side of the coin
> first person narration --> personalises and directs the responder to the composer themself, thus achieving the composer's purpose of their need to be remembered

To me the poet is describing their list of moral 'do's' and 'don'ts' that the responder must follow to do the composer's memory 'justice.'

Last edited:

beachee99

HSC
dude no offence, but you should be smart enough to identify the techniques. an inch away from cheating will get you no where in practical application.

If you really can not identify the techniques and its because of your teacher, either have a talk with him/her go over his/her head and ask the head teacher to be moved into a different class. OR Drop to standard

NOW lol
there is some show of demand or instruction ... heavily emphasised by the repetition of remember me

There is also a way of reading this poem, it leads to a view that she or he no longer loves or is loved and therefore can not bare to live when the times get sad. So they top themselves off to leave only the good. but i would not recommend using this as a major resposne without checking.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
beachee99 said:
dude no offence, but you should be smart enough to identify the techniques. an inch away from cheating will get you no where in practical application.

If you really can not identify the techniques and its because of your teacher, either have a talk with him/her go over his/her head and ask the head teacher to be moved into a different class. OR Drop to standard
He was just asking for some assistance. Why would he need to move down to Standard?

beachee99

HSC
Aplus said:
He was just asking for some assistance. Why would he need to move down to Standard?

think about it , if you can't analyse a poem yourself and considering it makes up a large part of the advanced course in comparison to the lesser standard course, drop down. Assistance is a bit of an understatement too. He is basically asking for the whole answer.

ha razizi, get off msn you gots maths ext

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
beachee99 said:
think about it , if you can't analyse a poem yourself and considering it makes up a large part of the advanced course in comparison to the lesser standard course, drop down. Assistance is a bit of an understatement too. He is basically asking for the whole answer.

ha razizi, get off msn you gots maths ext
The whole answer? Isn't that a bit ambiguous or misleading? Preparing for a listening task and asking for assistance on a poem we haven't looked at or studied in class doesn't mean I'm cheating?

I, myself identified language techniques myself so others can assist me (see first post). It isn't even a question in the practical application we under went in class last week i.e. Identify all the language techniques and themes in the following poem. So wtf are you on about?

Oh...and GTFO. If you're going to criticise and troll all my threads, especially the threads I made in the past, then you don't belong in this community to be honest.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Than that you should remember and be sad.

Themes:
1) The nature/power of human memory
2) Immortality through the human memory
3) The instructional nature of humanity

Techniques:
> Rhyme scheme: ABBAABBACDDECE (I think) at line 9 the rhyme changes. This is indicative of the 'volta' (the change in tone highlighted by the word 'yet') which reveals the composer's change in perspective and priorities (the composer begins by telling the responder what to do but then changes to tell the them what not to do --> it's almost as if it's the responder's moral obligation to do as the composer wants).
> The tone is didactic (instructional) --> the composer is telling the responder what to do - use of verbs emphasises this.
> "hold me by the hand" --> alliteration --> repetition of 'h' sound --> 'h' sound is relatively weak which reflects the message of the poem: that is, it is not through the physical actions (holding of hands) that we attain immortality but through memory and the literary form of poetry (the preservation of our memory)
> Repetition --> "remember me" --> replicates the nature of memory, that is through repetition of the same thought through the human mind that a memory is created and not forgotten
> juxtaposition/paradox: "forget and smile" --> ignorance is bliss when the memory is of "darkness and corruption", "remember and be sad" is the same as "forget and smile" just the other side of the coin
> first person narration --> personalises and directs the responder to the composer themself, thus achieving the composer's purpose of their need to be remembered

To me the poet is describing their list of moral 'do's' and 'don'ts' that the responder must follow to do the composer's memory 'justice.'
Boredofsc, that analysis is excellent! I really mean it, it is exceptional for a student still studying preliminary english. It's a shame that you're not doing english extension; you have an insightful grasp of textual analysis and elevated understandings.

Just to add to your points.

1) Repetition of first person pronoun ‘I’ establishes the insecurity of the speaker, heightened by the anaphora of ‘gone away,/gone far away’.

2) The alliterative monosyllables of ‘hold me by the hand’ reinforces the anxiety of the speaker’s psychological state, revealing the underlying tension that belies the poet’s cathartic experience.

3) The dominance of caesuras emphasises the disjointed nature of the human mind, particularly when confronted by universal issues of reflective pathos.
Etc etc

I think it is hard to credit the verse as ‘didactic’ purely because the poet represents a subjective state of mind that is far from being objectively ‘instructional’.

Basically, I believe the poem addresses the cycles of flux in human memory, which is a reflection of the philosophical ‘human condition’. This philosophising is expanded upon in the climactic antithesis of “Better by far…Than you should” which forcefully conveys the instability of such musings and returns the poem to its initial underlying tone of melancholy (after modulating into a minor key of muted concern).

Re: Razizi, you're initial observations were more or less correct as well.

bored of sc

HSC
Wow! ^^^ Thanks for the compliment! A very nice surprise. It makes me feel priviledged to be thought of in such a way by a such person (assuming from the caption you are doing an english/law degree).

Last edited:

nikitadhami

HSC
i see bored of sc has pretty much analyed the whole thing.

i always find it useful to kno the background of the writer wen analysing a poem.
its easier to "predict" the techniques......
ie. if u read up on a particular writer and see that a lot of there poems use a certain technique or their style of writing, then u r always on the look out for such devices in the poen u are analysing.

it serves well to kno the background of the writers life too.
an example of where that cud be useful is, virginia woolf. we can always see her mental state reflected in her writing.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Wow! ^^^ Thanks for the compliment! A very nice surprise. It makes me feel priviledged to be thought of in such a way by a such person (assuming from the caption you are doing an english/law degree).
Do you mean, privileged? Don't make me retract my comment. :p

'Such a person', so you don't know me? Well looking at the date of your first post, i could understand why (i posted most frequently prior to last year).

Just know, that if you ever have any small questions for english you can post it up here and (time permitting) i should be able to answer them. :wave: Hoping to see more egs of your intuitive english abilities around these places also.

bored of sc

HSC
Bobness said:
Do you mean, privileged? Don't make me retract my comment. :p
Bobness said:
Yeah. :shy:

Bobness said:
'Such a person', so you don't know me? Well looking at the date of your first post, i could understand why (i posted most frequently prior to last year).

Just know, that if you ever have any small questions for english you can post it up here and (time permitting) i should be able to answer them. :wave: quote]

That's great to hear. Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)