Reminder: Tax File Number (1 Viewer)

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Just a reminder to students who are beginning university.

Universities tend to ask for students to disclose their tax file number (TFN) in regards to payment for courses (e.g. HECS debt). To prevent any panic, I suggest all prospective students to obtain a TFN as soon as possible. If you have misplaced your TFN, I suggest you contact the ATO to recover it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Repped! Giving your TFN is a legal requirement if you want to pay your fees through HECS-HELP - if you haven't told them by a certain deadline they'll require you to either pay upfront or lose your place in the course.

If you have applied for a TFN in the past (most people apply through their schools in years 7/8 or so) and you've lost it completely they can usually tell you over the phone so it shouldn't be a huge deal, but get it organised before enrolment.

edit: and stickied, yay for finally getting mod powers in this forum.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed. This is a vital consideration which a lot of people forget and also why I recommend people get it through their schools when they are in year 10/11/12... which is infinitely easier than trying to do it without the school to help (i.e. finding a JP).

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
um if u do lose ur tax file number call 13 28 61.

but do keep in mind that you are looking at a 30 min wait on the phone if u lose it. It then takes an additional 3-5 minutes once they collect your details to find it.

so if u lose it, call them up quickly and dont leave to last minute as chances that many kids could have lost it and will call up last minute too. This will make the waiting time longer. Also ATO gets some regular calls daily so that extends the waiting time even longer.

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC

but do keep in mind that you are looking at a 30 min wait on the phone if u lose it. It then takes an additional 3-5 minutes once they collect your details to find it.

so if u lost move quickly and dont leave to last minute as chances that many kids could have lost it and will call up last minute. This will add to the waiting cue so you could be waiting as long as an hour!!! not to mention the regular calls ATO receives...
I couldn't understand a thing you just said.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
sorry hope that makes more sense now

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll call the ATO tomorrow, I can't remember mine and I'm sure I can't find the letter with my tax file number on it.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
try to call as early as possible preferably before people start working. so just before 9 or 10

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

so if u lose it, call them up quickly and dont leave to last minute as chances that many kids could have lost it and will call up last minute too. This will make the waiting time longer. Also ATO gets some regular calls daily so that extends the waiting time even longer.
It took me all of 5 minutes to complete the process and I didn't even have to wait.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
^u kidding me... it took me 30 minutes and man others 30 minutes.

so u must be one very lucky person

cause the average wait for ATO is 20 minutes

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
^u kidding me... it took me 30 minutes and man others 30 minutes.

so u must be one very lucky person

cause the average wait for ATO is 20 minutes
Rang the number, pressed 1 then 1 again after listening to the prompts... and was told the call could be monitored, then the phone was answered. Easy as.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
^ i did exactly that and they said the cue is approximately 20 minutes, your call will be answered shortly

germansuplex

HSC
Wow, nice heads up for anyone.

It might be a bit late though, for anyone who hasn't obtained their TFN yet...Since the ATO is so slow.

Odyssey3

HSC
Wow, nice heads up for anyone.

It might be a bit late though, for anyone who hasn't obtained their TFN yet...Since the ATO is so slow.
I lost my TFN and called up last Thursday and I received it in the post on Monday.

Now, I don't know how long the process would be for acquiring a new one altogether if you previously haven't, but I was quite pleased with the speed at which they dealt with my concern.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
They tell you it takes 28 days for a TFN to be issued, and there's >28 days till enrolment closes, so anyone who doesn't have a TFN should be sweet :)

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I think this thread may worthy of a bump considering that many students have finished their HSC by now. With the spare time, it is good to get something like this out of the way.

HSC
I am actually filling out that form right now. I don't understand what i am supposed to fill out on the fourth page of the tfn application form. can someone help me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)