Repeat year 12 again?..... (1 Viewer)

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
Firstly i just want to point out the subjects im doing, Maths- 2unint, Advanced English, Business STudies, Economics, Chemistry - a total of 10 units

throughtout the whole year my assessment marks have varied significantly!
I have trials next week and honestly i think my performance will be just average.....

if after that i put the effort in and really do well in my HSC, say band 5z and band 6z do i stand a chance of a uai above 85?!?!?!...

.... Also ive been considering the option of repeating year 12... do you guys think its worth it? doing it again? i guess if i do ill have an edge and who knows maybe able to prove myself as 95uai student :D
And "IF" i do im thinking of doing it at tafe?.. instead of going back to school!
With the subjects that i have chosen to do, do i have a strong chance if i do well to reach above the 85uai mark?
BEcause say i dont get the uai i need to get into a course id like to do, and i do another course for a year and transfer.. wont that pretty much just be the same way as just doing the HSC again..?

Really need some feedback on this guys thanksss!

jirwin

HSC
as much as i would be disappointed if i was in the same situation i would do a different course because as magpam said, u can receive credit from those courses - so altho its an extra yr either way, doing the hsc again is NOT the same as doing a different course

MapleZ

HSC
i've also thought of doing this, if the UAI achieved isnt the greatest... but theres always options of doing it at tafe if you really think yo uwant to..

but there are other options, like transfering uni courses etc.. Anything is possible..

do you have a careers advisor at your school? if so you can talk to them abotu it and usually they'll give yo uthe heads up on all of that.

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
yeh your right magpam but i really need to come up with a safety net just incase i do bomb my uai and get a reallly reallly low mark. BUt at tafe i will surely have a really great chance of getting a higher uai since it'll be like doing the work again...???

Im not too sure about tafe... itll bascially cost me money just to do it for a year and if i redo hsc ill only pay $230 admision into tafe to do it... so i guess if i know what im doing at tafe is only to get into uni it seems like a waste of time! and moneyy

Yeh with the transferring uni course thing itll end up being a waste of money again just for doing a course for a year and then changing plus i'll end up starting all over again during my second year at uni....

Another thing is at tafe they have this thing where they do the 2years hsc including preliminary in one year!!!
so i could pick up like an extra unit of maths and maybe another sub too boost my marks...?????

.... im soo afraid that this idea of actually wanting to do well for my hsc has just hit me now.... :( im really disappointed.... because i knoe i could have put in sooo much more bloody effort but i slacked off .... and now feel like crying ;(

and only a week left for my trials and soo much catching up....

CHOWduh

slightly stressed..
HSC
I can't be bothered to read anyone else's reply but just seeing the title of your thread, I say NO! Don't do it. It's definitely not worth it.
Band 5's and band 6's will DEFINITELY guarantee you an 85!!
Just don't put yourself through the additional stress. Move forward and go through with different courses and achieve distinctions and what-not just don't go back!
You'll be fine. You have time to prepare so start preparing!
Best of luck for your Trials :]

HSC
if i were you i wouldnt do it. repeating year 12 is quite a risk really unless you completely stuff up and get a <50 uai, say. just because you are doing the work again it doesnt necessarily mean you will try and get better marks. i know if i did school again i dont think i would be trying any harder than i did in year 12 (not exceptionally hard). they count your second mark second time around and if you slack off and get an even worse mark you've set yourself back yet another year.

what exactly do you want to do at uni? if your course is competitive you can try and go into a degree thats similar, get good marks and then transfer and hopefully carry over some credit points so it will lighten your workload slightly leaving you a lil less to do when you finally transfer.

band 5's and 6's in your uai pretty much guarantees you a 85 uai imo. so if youre getting around those marks in your assessments youre set.

for now, i advise you to put off all the thought on not achieving the uai you want and focus on improving your marks/ranks in trials. there is still plenty of time, good luck! :)

pursya17

HSC
take a deep breath and have a look at your options. Maybe you should just give it your all in the trials and then make your decision after you see how you did. If you put in some solid work you may suprise yourself.
Just don't decide on repeating before the trials because then your already going to subconciously not care as much about how you do, when perhaps you might have done alright in the first place and not have had to repeat. Try for the trials, see how it turns out and then make your decision.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
you're mindset is probably not helpful.
Ie approaching all ur assessments with the attitude 'it's ok, i MIGHT just repeat'

I too had considered repeating back in the day[before hsc had even started..] and after speaking to coordinator about it [after nearly being slapped] she told me that studies have shown that people who repeat generally tend to do worse.
Ofcourse i presume you might sit there and say 'well, i just wont be a statistic, i'll be an exception to the rule and actually go better', just as i said to myself.

But having been through 3/4 of this year or whatever we're at now.. i couldn't stand the thought of repeating again.

And perhaps doing the HSC in a different environment might give you more initiative but i'd argue it'd be harder to focus/concentrate on going really well at TAFE as opposed to just doing your HSC at a normla highschool.
[ok. heres where i get slandered ... 'juz coz dey go to tafe duznt mean dat dey dont care bout skool as much az normal skool people'.. Not in all cases but i'd say generally.. and yes i know some people go thru hard times and have no other choice but to go to TAFE but my point still stands to reason; high school is GENERALLY a more competitive learning environment (and this kid wants a 85-95 UAI]
]

Like i said, i myself was considering repeating if i didnt get the UAI i wanted/needed.
But ive since resigned myself tot he idea that if im not prepared to put in the effort the first time than theres no way i could do any better the 2nd time round.
I'm doing another year of high school [in germany] as opposed to repeating.
AND THEN its most probable that i'll have to do a year in some course and then [hopefully] transfer over to what i want.

still i'd rather opt for another 2 years as opposed to just another year ofthe HSC.

sorry this is rather incohhernt, i'm v. tired.

goodluck.
just give it everything you've got right now... then you might be suprised.
don't give up and say 'oh i;ll just reapeat'

darksouljah

HSC
LOL . just dont repeat.. waste of time..

you can do hell of a stuff in tafe, learn something knew there and get creditted to uni to do a bachelor degree>>

and then do really good in 1st year of uni to get transferred to a better uni>

you need a plan.>

i just dont think repeating would help you succeed...

If you repeat, theres a highly chance you wont be able to get the UAI as predicted.. This may be due to:
  • you being bored to studying the same subject as last year
  • you being over motivated
  • again> gotaa deal with HSC pressure!!!
  • will be hard to get a job around the HSC n trialz time
This is just my idea.. you dont have to accept it.. just helping:D

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
yeh as much as i value my education im feed up with school. i've lost motivation and im over stressing. for this reason i agree with darksouljah... y put yourself in the same postion nxt yr as you are now, cos its not like you;ll be abel to hand in old assesments and claim them to be new!

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Also, if you repeat, you'll have already learned the stuff, so you'll probably get bored with it and not try as hard, and then realise how much you've forgotten when you go to study right before the exam...

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
yeh, you would and you'd be treated differently to. these two chicks came back to my school to repeat their yr 12 cos they screwed around when they were their the first time and wanted to retry and they drove nearly everyone nuts... one of them kept saying that 'im 19, i should have to ask if i can go to the toilet or if i can leave during my breaks... my boyfriend is coming here to do his teacher traning so we have to act like we're not going out.... excuse me but im here to learn, SHUT UP!!' and my personal favourite 'miss i dont want to do that because its just redoing the stuff ive done, im going to do this if you dont mind, if i need help i'll ask but im almost certain i'll manage it'.... needless to say they were only there for about a month or two before dropping out... best day that was to.. she was nasty!

Russdog

russell
HSC
If I repeated, I'd do it at another school. I'd also want to redo year 11 and choose all my subjects over again. It'd also be pretty sick being 18 in year 11. But I wouldn't.

cl3nta

HSC
I'd hate to redo the last two years. I just want to get into uni and get out of school!

mixt

HSC
has anyone here actually gone thru yr12 again and will talk about how it was?
cz im thinking of repeating yr12 too cz i dont think uai will be high enough

but in regards to repeating, it really depends on your individual situation, and you cant generalise saying "dont do it" it might not apply to you

look at what you want in uni/tafe, see if you really need to get a higher uai, and see if you can handle doing yr12 again

HSC
what if you dont fulfill the requirements for a UAI, can you still go to tafe and stuff?

pixxietat

HSC
I half repeated and i say its worth it, at least for the peace of mind. I had lots of trouble at home and found it really hard to get to school because of anxietyand depression, so after i got my trial results back last year i decided to do PATHWAYS. I picked my best three(but it can be however many you want) subjects from last year and finished them and i'm redoing and completeing the other 3 subjects this year.
i dont get looked at funny and when the other kids in my new grade find out i have free periods to study in and a less hectic schedule they consider doing it too. Im going really well this year and i achieved all band 5's for my sujects last year which is great considering that i was never at school to learn anything.
my school let me redo the subjects at the school and are really supportive.
I recommend pathways if ur thinking of repeating. that way you only have to focus on going well in a few subjects in your hsc this year and a few next year, plus many of the assessments you would have already done, thats a pretty big advantage. not too mention there are no tafe fees involved.
im really glad i did it and so is the other boy in my grade who's dong it also.
ask your careers advisor and your school counsellor about it, they'll lead you in the right direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)