Repeating year 11 at another school (1 Viewer)

zanny131

HSC
Hi guys, okay so here's my dilemma.

I am currently in Year 11, and have great intentions on pursuing acting as a career. I am experienced in the performing arts industry- mostly music- however am not satisfied with the level of tuition in the drama stream at my school.

I regularly attend NIDA courses and will be signing with an agency in the next 6 months, and intend on studying at NIDA post-HSC.

I need feedback and opinions on wether or not I should consider repeating year 11 and enrol for APGS (Australian Performing Arts Grammar School) or stay at St Pats and finish the HSC in 2015.

*I feel as if I am not challenged in the drama stream, after regular intensive work at NIDA. I don't want to sound cocky and say I'm better than my class, I just feel as if they're not as committed, experienced and concerned with the course as I am*

Kind Regards,

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are ranking first then it shouldn't matter...

zanny131

HSC
HSC Drama requires a group performance, and I feel Iwill be pulled down from my potential if i am not with likeminded people

enoilgam

HSC
Just to clarify, what are your exact reasons for wanting to repeat?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My suggestion would be to just finish Yr 12 at your school year, try and get as much experience outside during your Yr 12 year from masterclasses, NIDA etc. The reason I suggest you finish Yr 12 without repeating a year is so you can have a) the qualification to fall back on, b) get the flexibility a year earlier for a full time drama program or building your acting resume and c) HSC drama really matters diddly squat for being an actor so don't fixiate on your mark in it.

If you really want to do performing, the sooner you finish school, the sooner you can begin pursuing full time options and I think finishing school a year later than you have to would eclipse that imho. Especially when even if the slight difference of cohort would make a very minute difference to your HSC mark, because places like NIDA don't care about your ATAR, they care about your audition.

zanny131

HSC
Thank you so much for your feedback! I've decided to stay at my current school and sit the HSC in 2015.

I will be definitely continuing masterclasses at NIDA and soon other places (eg. Brent Street) and I am currently preparing to apply and audition for several managements after spending 2 weeks with actors & actresses my age whom have agencies already. My only real concern now is if i get work during my HSC course, and have to leave school for a couple days to work on set. Is there a maximum time allowed excused from Year 12?

Kind Regards,

A

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
My only real concern now is if i get work during my HSC course, and have to leave school for a couple days to work on set. Is there a maximum time allowed excused from Year 12?
There were a couple in my grade who got a trade while completing senior years. They would come to school 2/3 days a week, and work/go to tafe 2/3 days a week, so you might be able to do something similar. I'm not sure how it actually works though and what qualifications they ended up with from high school, so just see your careers adviser.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In that scenario you might also like to consider a pathways approach to the HSC where you can do a couple of subjects in 2015 and the rest in 2016.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)