repeating Year 12? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Look it depends on which university you're applying to. Some use the 50/50 rule, others disregard UAI altogether, yet others focus on the UAI and "consider" your uni marks.

Go look it up yourself. :p

nellyei

HSC
What about if i just take a year off and do the umat. provided i do well in hte UMAT how do i apply to unis like UNSW and newcastle. I mean UNSW had all that stuff about estimates and stuff, but i've already got a UAI!

Raginsheep

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Hmm I must say that unless you poor your very BLOOD into doing the HSC again, you are most unlikely to achieve a significant improvement. Repeating the HSC is an option primarily reserved for people who have gone through disadvantage or severe disruption (due to a promising sports/performance career or medical treatment etc), not for people who simply want to do better second time around.

Of every person I have known to resit year 12, none have come back with the 99.xx they were hoping for. Your UAI of 93.xx wasn't bad, and if you could go to uni and get some decent marks you'd be a very viable candidate. I'm sure there's another course which at least interests you (for me it was science and international studies) and doing something you enjoy is bound to make it easier to collect some marks, especially when compared to resitting the cursèd year 12.

Remember, the UMAT is only a one day affair, but what you study will steer a whole year of your life. If you really think it's more important to keep Adelaide and Monash available to you, fair enough. They weren't worth it for me, and I sure as hell wasn't going to put my whole life on hold for undergrad med when I had the GMPs* waiting for me anyway.

*Graduate Medical Programs

Getting 99.xx won't mean an automatic entry into med either. Like I said b4, someone repeated in our year, and still failed even with their 99.60+ UAI.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
but 99.xx is better than 80.xx..

damn tat would have been pwned.. 99.6 and doing it twice :O

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Vampire said:
So UAI becomes obselete?

as others have said, different unis have different requirements

but yes, if you go into uni with a 99+ uai and expect to get special treatment, think again. That other dude sitting at the front row who got 95.6 who studies his arse off getting HDs has a better chance of getting into med (overall) than the dude with 99.9 struggling to get that credit average.

micelite

<b>BOLD</b>
HSC
its like the funnel effect... as you go further into your degree at uni, it gets harder to get into med because there is a lot more competition.

if you desperately want to do med, repeat yr 12 and do it at UWS in 2007. UWS apparently poached one of the med professor from melbourne to teach there and will start their med program next year

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
micelite said:
its like the funnel effect... as you go further into your degree at uni, it gets harder to get into med because there is a lot more competition.

if you desperately want to do med, repeat yr 12 and do it at UWS in 2007. UWS apparently poached one of the med professor from melbourne to teach there and will start their med program next year
hopefully they wrangled a good one from Melb otherwise its all title

nellyei

HSC
btw is this info correct:

minimum umat scaled scores for entry to uni:

170 for newcastle minimum UAI 90
180 for Adelaide minimum UAI 90
150 and UAI of 100 for UNSw (they have that random table)
220 and above in percentiles (and a high UAI/ENTER) for Melbourne

Last edited:

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
nellyei said:
btw is this info correct:

minimum umat scaled scores for entry to uni:

170 for newcastle minimum UAI 90
180 for Adelaide minimum UAI 90
150 and UAI of 100 for UNSw (they have that random table)
220 and above in percentiles (and a high UAI/ENTER) for Melbourne
Newcastle is a minimum UAI of 93.8
I would assume the UMAT for Newcastle would be higher than Adelaide.
Melbourne has 3 streams of entry, with a good enough UMAT all you need is a 96 ENTER.
If your UMAT is good but not that good, you probably need a 99.65+
If your UMAT is lower than this you need a 99.90+

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I think a 170 might come very close to doing it for you at Adelaide.

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
nellyei said:
I finished year in 2005, didn't do well in the UMAT and thus didn't get into medicine at any universities.

Now i'm wondering what my options are.

I thought of just doing a degree (something i'm in interested in other than med) and while doing that degree i do the UMAT this year.

But what are my chances of getting into med by doing the UMAT as a uni student?
You could always do a degree and then do Graduate Medicine.

n2o_lonewolf74

HSC
hi,

i currently reside in NSW & was wondering what is the procedure to resit the HSC ?
do i need to reapply to my high school ?

any help is appreciated

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
micelite said:

Um, no?

The competition level stays about the same really, though it's a lot harder to get in between the HSC and graduating from uni because there are so few places for non-standards.

NichNich

HSC
Nelly, you sound like to be in the exact position as myself two years ago ^^

I finished year 12 in 2003, with a disgusting UAI of 93.65, and a scaled UMAT of a horrible 208. I was a total lazy bum in year 12, so this score would be expected.

I received an offer of Pharmacy at the University of Sydney at Orange Campus, but followed the advise of teachers and family to repeat year 12.

Why?

Because transferring into medicine once you start a uni course is extremely hard, and leaves you with less chance of getting into medicine at specific universities.

I repeated year 12 for two reasons. Firstly, I want to try again for med, and secondly, even if I didn't get into medicine, I would be able to improve my UAI, and hopefully get into another better degree. (I wanted Pharmacy, but at the main University of Sydney campus- which was another 2 UAI points off).

I studied a bit more for my HSC ( I was still lazy..) and worked for the UMAT, and achieved a UAI of 97.25, getting into medicine at Newcastle because of a significantly improved UMAT and a good interview score.

Unless you are happy with your offer you have (and want to take it and try to transfer to medicine) I would strongly recommend that you repeat year 12. You have an increased chance of getting into med, and also, if you didn't, you would be able to get into a better degree that you might enjoy doing more.

I found repeating year 12 did not disadvantage me. My UAI sucked anyway, so Uni of Melbourne was off, but I could apply to every other Undergraduate medicine university. I received interviews at all unis, and actually mentioned of repeating year 12. The interviewers found this very impressive- to see my determination of getting into medicine.

I received offers for dentistry, and an offer for medicine.

Speaking from experience, I strongly recommend repeating year 12, contrary to all the posts above. Repeating year 12 is WAY less stressful than to take another course at uni, and then apply to medicine again. You will be learning totally new things, and have to excel at doing good in something totally new. However, repeating year 12 was like a year off for me. I didn't start studying till May. I was relearning things that I forgot and have learnt, and it was very easy, giving me much more time to practise for UMAT. ^^

nellyei

HSC
omg thanx alot man, thanx alot NichNich! You won't believe how mad it feels to know that there was someone out there that was in a 'fix' like me.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
HAHAHA hey NichNich

u kno i thought u were goin to ace yr 12 compared to me.. lolz i thought id be doing yr 12 twice b4 u.. :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)