Reply From Board About Crime Section (1 Viewer)

Smartie87

HSC
I just recieved this reply stating what will occur.... it is a formal statement from the examiners

There has been a mixed response to the Legal Studies paper: some people are indicating that part of Question 17 was too specific and may not have been covered by all students.

Some students may not have encountered the groups specifically referred to in the question, but could have answered the question by relating their knowledge, with the aid of the extract provided as stimulus, to the groups in the question.

The aim of the examination is to allow students of all abilities to demonstrate what they know. If it appears that a question in an examination has prevented this, then the Board takes this very seriously, and puts a number of procedures in place.

The Chief Examiner and Supervisor of Marking will consider students’ responses and if necessary modify the marking guidelines to ensure every student gets an appropriate mark. Each response will be monitored carefully throughout the marking.

The judges at the standards-setting operation will ensure that the question does not affect the number of students who can achieve a Band 6 result, or any other band result.

The procedures will be closely monitored by the Board’s staff, and the final results will be carefully audited by the Board’s independent technical advisory group.

Carol Taylor
Director, Assessment and Reporting
Office of the Board of Studies

Smartie87

HSC
any one else find this to be bullshit? i applied as much of the syllabus content as i could but not enuf for 19 marks. its not fair either way to ask a question so pathetic as that when clearly, there could be advantages held by ppl who actually studied this for their special study

DarkPrince_87

HSC
sounds good....so does that mean a selected about of people have to get band 6? coz i didnt know that there was a limit to how many people had to achieve each band

Smartie87

HSC
no they are covering their arses again!!!!!! its not fair to us ppl who studied according to the syllabus. they r all screwed up. im callin this woman tomorrow

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
with the aid of the extract provided as stimulus
Did anybody actually find that stimulus helpful? For Question A, sure it was required, but it wasnt really relevant to the other sections in many ways. Maybe D...possibly.

Last edited:

Smartie87

HSC
no way. a few stats and thats it. theres only so much u can say about that.

oh well i had hope until that email... goodbye law degree

lukey15#

HSC
legal studies students have been?????????

"The judges at the standards-setting operation will ensure that the question does not affect the number of students who can achieve a Band 6 result, or any other band result."
From this qoute above why just specially band 6 what about the other sudents who get lower bands they need good grades to not just band 6ers.
I thougth question 17 was an absolute joke they must have realised before the exam that they were ripping us off. We learnt about the focus study crime but got tested on something we had'nt even learnt.

THEY MAY HAVE WELL HAVE GIVEN US A QUESTION ON PHYSICS IN THAT SECTION.

And then theres the issue of unfairness issue as raised above.

Last edited:

roadcone

HSC
Rafy said:
Did anybody actually find that stimulus helpful?
well for the first 2 marks it was, but after that ah surprisingly enough no... go figure in a stimulus based response

DarkPrince_87

HSC
i didnt find it useful at all...im lucky i wasnt aiming to high for my bands in legal studies...i thought i needed 90 to get a band 6 and i was hoping for an 80 for band 5....i woulda been really happy with a band 4 as well but by the looks of it iv probly got a band 5 if not a possible band 6, the crime topic was shit and well just have to see how it turns out, i hope BOS make the right decision tho otherwise there will be so many ppl with the shits

nwatts

HSC
Rafy: Do you have a link to the article quoted in your sig?

Also, why are people so worried? If everyone found it difficult, then no one will be adversely affected.

Smartie87

HSC
nwatts said:
Also, why are people so worried? If everyone found it difficult, then no one will be adversely affected.
cuz some people learnt this for their close study of a legal issue, some ppl blabbed on to try and get marks, while others left it blank. to me its the same as asking a 4U maths question in a general exam

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Smartie87

HSC
im starting a petition!!! ppl have talked bout it, well im actually gonna do it!! so please post below with ur name and skool and i will personally put it together. come on kids

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Hey at least you got a reply
I haven't got that preprepared response from them yet :rolleyes:

and no Rafy besides a which was 2 marks, the stimulus was not helpful...

jdrockefeller

HSC
Where did you send that email? I wanna send an email as well, but I'm not sure where to hit up.

caaaz

HSC
legal

"Also, why are people so worried? If everyone found it difficult, then no one will be adversely affected. "

i agree! i think everyone shoudl stop worrying about it. there is nothing we can do at the moment, jsut let them figure it out and concentrate on other exams!

Kirika

HSC
yeah they sent me that bs too! i was not impressed... with the aid of the stimulus material my arse!! yeah if it hada been in eng i coulda bullshited my way through but no, it was legal its meant to be based on FACTS! grrr.... it makes me so angry. i wrote an email to SMH, prolly wont be put in, if its not well i'll send it on to the tele! gee these board people need to learn that they have to stop covering their arses and face up to the facts- they made a mistake in the exam prep and now they need to fix it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)