• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

report (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
grkstyle i posted a basic outline to how i wrote mine in the crit section

with the journal, i basically briefly mentioned it as a tool to help clarify my thoughts... i also quoted it when i was talking about the difficulties i'd overcome etc. i think it's good to acknowledge your journal, but spend most of your time talking about the research itself and how it's helped/hindered you

J

jhakka

Jeez, how many words did you have? Ours is only 1000 (not including bibliography), and I had absolutely had no space to talk about journal, etc. Only research. How, why, and effects.

HSC
Originally posted by jhakka
Did we have to talk about our journal, chouji?
english stage 6 syllabus:
To provide the basis for the Major Work, students undetake ongoing, systematic and rigorous investigation into their chosen area. This investigation process is documented in a journal that demonstrates the processes of inquiry, interprets, analyses and reflects on teh knowledge and understanding gained, and explains the stages of the composition of the major work.

don't HAVE to... it's a pretty big dot-point to miss if you wanna get top bands though...

J

jhakka

Originally posted by whiterabbit
english stage 6 syllabus:
To provide the basis for the Major Work, students undetake ongoing, systematic and rigorous investigation into their chosen area. This investigation process is documented in a journal that demonstrates the processes of inquiry, interprets, analyses and reflects on teh knowledge and understanding gained, and explains the stages of the composition of the major work.

don't HAVE to... it's a pretty big dot-point to miss if you wanna get top bands though...
Is that for the report or the reflections statement?

Here's the criteria sheet I got. Maybe it's different in other schools.

This is the front.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by jhakka
Jeez, how many words did you have? Ours is only 1000 (not including bibliography), and I had absolutely had no space to talk about journal, etc. Only research. How, why, and effects.
we had 1,500, so i had a bit more room, but i still think it's important to mention it somewhere.

J

jhakka

Well after looking at some of the samples on the Bored of Studies site, I've decided to rewrite mine. It's nowhere near as good.

life4_rent

hey dudez!

report's not too bad.. just include a lot of sources and crap on abt them as much as possible.. but always relate it back to the criteria point...

omg.. so many questions.. we neva got that! we only got the criteria sheet, went thru it once & went off and did it! geez.. i think our school purposely ignores us so they can sit back and laugh wen we stuff up.. grrr...

we got 2000 word max on ours.. only just handed it in. i spent two nights on it, one typing, and one editting.. hope i did ok.. im aiming for 20/20 for this one.. =)

how're everyone's major works comign along btw? pssst, im behind in composing by about 3 months >.<

-maggie xox

persephone

HSC
my report's due first week of term 3 and i have no idea what i'm supposed to do. I don't even know what headings to have, etc. Please help!!!! Haven't started the report. But my short story's almost done!

*Gizmo*

HSC
mines due first week back as well....i have only just started... hmm im stumped on the first question as well. I'm doing poetry and i really dont have a title for my major work yet. hahaha so im just crappin on about how i havent got a title yet but its still a work in progress.

My teacher thinks we should have all finished our major work to do the report...do you guys agree? cuz im no where near finished, but its due first week back so i have to start now...

any thoughts?

persephone

HSC
how do you write a report? do you do subheadings? but then what kind of subheadings? mine's due soon! help!

pitted

HSC
N/A
How To Write Your Report

how do you write a report???? well im not exactly sure but here is what i am doing. its pretty much exactly like the reflection statement i.e. write about your experiences, research, what you have learned, the links to extension and advance english (preliminary and/or HSC).
of course your one may vary, subtitles will help you at least in your first draft but more than likely leave the subtitles in unless they are a requirement.
what you should really do is ask your teacher or at least read your assignment sheet (that is if you have one) since there may be stuff on it that i have no idea.
and if i am wrong tell me!....before its too late
ciao

J

jhakka

If it's any help to anyone, I put my report under the following headings and subheadings:

-Introduction: My Major Work
(a short description of my Major Work)

-Impact of the Journal
(self explanatory)

-Investigation
--Investigation of genre
--Investigation of text types
--Investigation of the writing process
(each should be self explanatory)

-Conclusion
(a nice couple of paragraphs talking about how important research is to the development of my major work)

All you really have to do is make research look really great, even if it didn't do much for your work. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
persephone said:
how do you write a report? do you do subheadings? but then what kind of subheadings? mine's due soon! help!
i would say, no, don't use subheadings. only because i have yet to see an exemplar reflection statement use them... i think it looks more sophisticated if you can link it all together

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
glycerine said:
i would say, no, don't use subheadings. only because i have yet to see an exemplar reflection statement use them... i think it looks more sophisticated if you can link it all together
True that, integrated responses that have a sense of stucture always impress markers.

zerzillia

grk_styl said:
Wanna help me? lol Did you just talk about influential composers and your process from initial ideas to the final product?
i haven't been on for so long! sorry if this doesnt help, but anyways:
i'd love to help anyone out! i didn't just talk about influential composers (but that was part of it, yes) and in my report, i didn't really talk about the final product because it wasn't finished. (still isn't! OMFG...)
do it in an organised manner and you should try to cover everything. it's basically all the work you've prepared for your viva and your proposal should help. if you're like me, my proposal is very different from how i see my major work now, so you can discuss the changes and why it is so.

everyone had such nice word lengths! mine was 2500 words max. i had trouble trying to keep it down...hehe.

like glycerine said, don't use subheadings in reflection statement! but we could use headings in our report (in fact, our teachers listed what we had to do, so that was good). i think headings are good in the report but not in the reflection statement because the reflection statement is suppose to be more integrated, like a journal entry. but "reflective". >_<

gizmo said:
My teacher thinks we should have all finished our major work to do the report...do you guys agree? cuz im no where near finished, but its due first week back so i have to start now...
everyone's at different stages.
we have finished all of our internal assessments and our first draft is due along with our reflection statement on the second day back. :( i haven't done it. hmmm......

pitted said:
how do you write a report???? well im not exactly sure but here is what i am doing. its pretty much exactly like the reflection statement i.e. write about your experiences, research, what you have learned, the links to extension and advance english (preliminary and/or HSC).
of course your one may vary, subtitles will help you at least in your first draft but more than likely leave the subtitles in unless they are a requirement.
what you should really do is ask your teacher or at least read your assignment sheet (that is if you have one) since there may be stuff on it that i have no idea.
and if i am wrong tell me!....before its too late
ciao
i think a report is slightly different from your reflection statement. reflection statement needs to have that flow which makes it more like a journal entry (on the surface, hahaha.....).

what you said is basically right.

so good luck to anyone doing it in term 3!
i have done mine. if you have any questions, feel free to post here. the oldies (03ers) may be of help to us (04ers). XD

*Gizmo*

HSC
How long does everyones have to be....

ours is something like 3000 words...is this the same for everyone? :S i think thats tooooooo long personally but....meh....oh well lol

KarmaKitten

HSC
zerzillia said:
thanks MissSavage29 for posting up the questions! i will look to it when i start my report....

KarmaKitten -> you have the same type of assessment tasks as me! you from my school? >.<;

I dont think I am!
St george?

korry

HSC
N/A
ours has gotta be 500 words but it's harder because you have to fit more in and make it really concise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)