Representation & Text - Telling the truth (1 Viewer)

Iceman

Hi Hi, it's me again ;)

Just wondered if anyone has anyone good material/examples for 'Telling the Truth'. I'm doing Frontline, so if anyone has any extra material that can link to Frontline, that'll be great :)

Thanks in advance!

ben

Well here's what I think I'll use:

- Case Study - Overboard (Newspaper articles on that refugee issue thing)

- Erin Brochavich movie

- The Games (TV Series very similar to Frontline)

Alex

I was told about this program called 'Mediawatch'. To be honest I haven't watched it yet and it is on either ABC or SBS. I was told it criticises some of the media somehow, not quite sure. Look into it if you want.

ben

Oh yeah - Media Watch!! Dammit! I meant to watch that today (it's on Monday night and repeats on Tuesday!)

I only saw about a minute of it on Monday night (during the ad-break in Seinfeld on TV1). It was really boring and the host was been pretty annoying - going on about "how wrong the media is". Probably a good text then.

Alex

If you are doing frontline you can look at that lesbian problem with the Womens Australian Rugby Union team and relate it to 'Add Sex and Stir'.

OR

There was a siege not too long ago and guess what, you can relate it to...... 'the siege'.

Supplementary Material (as I've been told) can either be referring to the representation (or misrepresentation) of fact to give every persons' truth OR something that ties in contextually with the actual programs (examples above).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The film Wag the Dog and the novel The Mastership Game (Scott McBain) both make great supplementary material for Frontline.

I think someone mentioned a while ago that The Handmaid's Tale (novel, not sure of the author) is also quite relevant.

ben

Wag the dog was the film my English teacher recommended

but i remember falling asleep watching it when I was 12 or something lol

Doylie

The Handmaid's Tale

Lazarus, its by Margaret Atwood. I don't know about using it in 'telling the truth', its actually a text that i studied in year 11 for 3 unit. Its a Dystopian world in the future where the govt. has been mass murdered.. quite boring actually..

gabitive

HSC
N/A
yeh
it just so happens to seem
that all the texts we study at school
are quite boring actually
and if they aren't
the BOS will be able to fix that

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Oh hrmm I must have been thinking of something other than The Handmaid's Tale.

Individual episodes of current affairs shows such as Today Tonight can also be used, don't forget.

Striker

anyone have any suggestions to other text types instead of movies or tv or newpapers?

i'm struggling with this module; i don't really get it.

staree

HSC
N/A
last year I used the movie The Quiz Show
Very relevant and based on a true story.
And I would doubt that lots of people would use it as well.

ben

oh - "The Quiz Show" - i remember that movie - it was really funny

Last edited:

ben

I don't know how many we are suppose to have...

In the Area of Study our teachers have said to have 4 (2 of your own). I mean, any more and you'll probably be too brief with only 40 minutes!

So many we should have 3-extra ready for this one? I'm not really sure though. I also don't know how many of the Frontline episodes we are suppose to use!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ideally you should probably talk about 3 of the episodes in-depth and have at least two pieces of supplementary material prepared. The question tell you how many to use - if it says something like "at least ONE", obviously use 3 (don't do any more than that, if you still have spare time it should be put towards discussing the episodes themselves).

chuga

it might be useful to consider the truman show, it was recommended by our teacher. btw does anyone have any other suggestions for supplementary texts for this module. i ave an assessment due first week back and we have to use a visual text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)