Researching a Criminal Case (1 Viewer)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
I have an assignment due in a few weeks that I need to start ASAP. I have to identify a ciminal case that has occured in NSW in the past 10 years. It must be an indictable offence, and I have to talk about the effectiveness of the legal system..

Does anyone have any suggestions where to start for something like this? Any help appreciated.

ToKooL4SkooL

HSC
I have the exact same assignment. I havent got any ideas either.

santaslayer

HSC
The senetencing of the gang rapist leader to 55 years?...thats a case u could go on foreva about!

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
yeh, thanks santaslayer.. ill look up on that.. but i wasnt really asking for a case.. just the best way of approaching research assignments like this.. im not sure where to start... i might use that one tho, ill do some googling see if its interesting..

Last edited:

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Trigger189
I have an assignment due in a few weeks that I need to start ASAP. I have to identify a ciminal case that has occured in NSW in the past 10 years. It must be an indictable offence, and I have to talk about the effectiveness of the legal system..

Does anyone have any suggestions where to start for something like this? Any help appreciated.
Start by choosing a case, some ways which can help you choose is by other ppls opinions, media, and my favourite LIAC library--> go to LIAC it is excellent! They've got a note book full of indictable criminal offences mainly in the past 10 years, they have the name, a brief outline and a coding number...THEN tey have 2 fat folders for each case in that book, look up the coding number and you can find heaps of newspaper clippings and media sources

After that, i suggest you to go austlii, great website, and search for the case. Then print out the document and read it- dissecting each part and using diff coloured highlighets or somethign to highlight information which goes under topics such as "factors of criminal behaviour" "defences" "effectiveness" "type of crime" and any other syllabus dot point that is listed in your assignment rubric.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by ~*HSC 4 life*~
After that, i suggest you to go austlii, great website, and search for the case. Then print out the document and read it- dissecting each part and using diff coloured highlighets or somethign to highlight information which goes under topics such as "factors of criminal behaviour" "defences" "effectiveness" "type of crime" and any other syllabus dot point that is listed in your assignment rubric.
Im not trying to start anything here.....but the typical case goes for at least 45 pages+, if you are willing to print that amount then go for you life, if not then a local law library would be sufficent.

NOTE: i wouldnt recommend reading from a pdf file, you'll need to replace your eyes after that! :p

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
OMG that was a huge help! Thats the exact advise i needed. Thanks. Only problem... what the hell is the LIAC library.. where is it located... im hoping somewhere accessible to me *fingers crossed* if not... do y'know if any other libraries have similar facilities?

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Trigger189
OMG that was a huge help! Thats the exact advise i needed. Thanks. Only problem... what the hell is the LIAC library.. where is it located... im hoping somewhere accessible to me *fingers crossed* if not... do y'know if any other libraries have similar facilities?

I went to the State library: just catch a train to Martin place and its an easy walk straight up from the station. Then you go inside, and you'll see a room which has LIAC on it

clerisy

HSC
Did you get a LIAC guidey thing for Legal Studies students from your school-- if not your teacher should have one (not much help when it's holidays, but anyway). It's got a basic overview of major cases and ways to go about researching them.

The State Library's the most straightforward means of accessing LIAC. A lot of local public libraries are supposed to have access though (of course, my dodgy ones don't, but anyway), so if State Library's too difficult you might want to check there.

tuppence

Crime Assignment Done

Hi. Ive done my crime assignment for this year. i did it on a case called Ryan V Regina. it was a priest paedophile case. although it doesnt sound great there are so many issues in it. If u want to see detailed notes of all cases in Australia go to www.austlii.com or something like that.

First start with dates and courts and the name of case
Then parties involved
Describe the facts of the case
Explain the issues presented before the court
The effectiveness of court in achieving justice and courts decision

i got 48 1/2 out of 50. message me if need help

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Yeah i did a speech on R v SLD (central coast murder)

PM me if u want help i got full marks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)