Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

boomalaka

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
thats not the reason its just one of the factors i did take into consideration when i was looking at all the colleges, i dont want to have friends in the year above me treating me as their slave, and i dont want to go into college with connections there because ill never move outside my comfort zone and one of the major reasons that im going is to make new friends and have new experiences etc...
if i didnt have friends at drews then sure i would proably apply but i do and thats how it is, Johns looks like an awersome college and definatly my choice
I know nothing will change your decision to go to Johns now, but you should be aware of a few things that are relevant everywhere.

Firstly, like you i thought college would put me outside a comfort zone. However I have found that like just about everyone else, college is just about the cushiest position you will ever have in your life, including living with the oldies.

Second, unlike high school where you enter at the lowest rung and work your way up. the opposite is true in college. In your fresher year, while you may have to do ocassionally shitty jobs and go through tough initiations (i personally got drilled during Zulu), all the seniors will want to get to know you and you'll generally be the bigggest partiers. I won't even mention thebenefits that being a good sportsmen are like.
So you wouldn't ever have to worry about being your friends slave. Your friends could actually serve as a bridge to being better friends with the sophmores.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
boomalaka said:
I know nothing will change your decision to go to Johns now, but you should be aware of a few things that are relevant everywhere.

Firstly, like you i thought college would put me outside a comfort zone. However I have found that like just about everyone else, college is just about the cushiest position you will ever have in your life, including living with the oldies.

Second, unlike high school where you enter at the lowest rung and work your way up. the opposite is true in college. In your fresher year, while you may have to do ocassionally shitty jobs and go through tough initiations (i personally got drilled during Zulu), all the seniors will want to get to know you and you'll generally be the bigggest partiers. I won't even mention thebenefits that being a good sportsmen are like.
So you wouldn't ever have to worry about being your friends slave. Your friends could actually serve as a bridge to being better friends with the sophmores.
Sweet!
Yeah college life would give you the opportunity to meet more people more easily as you are basically forced to meet everyone at the college and other colleges.
What are the major benfits of being good at sports? (just Rawson cup that it?) cause that is all what i thought but are there other benefits?
All this stuff gets me pumped for college life. Cheers

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
LaCe said:
Sweet!
Yeah college life would give you the opportunity to meet more people more easily as you are basically forced to meet everyone at the college and other colleges.
What are the major benfits of being good at sports? (just Rawson cup that it?) cause that is all what i thought but are there other benefits?
good @ sports = massive respect

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
boomalaka said:

True to an extent. Me, I knew absolutly no one before coming to drews (ok, well there is a few I sort of knew...). At the very start (maybe the first month or less) it put me outside my comfort zone. But yes, its certainly an easy life, no cooking, no washing linen, no travelling etc.

boomalaka

HSC
LaCe said:
Sweet!
We had one fresher this year who in the first Rawson event, cricket in, who scored a century off i thng 60 balls. That set him up for the rest of the entire year.
Additionally, the more sports you're involved in, the more celebrations.
And yes only Rawson sports matter.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
boomalaka said:
We had one fresher this year who in the first Rawson event, cricket in, who scored a century off i thng 60 balls. That set him up for the rest of the entire year.
Additionally, the more sports you're involved in, the more celebrations.
And yes only Rawson sports matter.
Sweet!!
Yeah cricket is my strength, so is soccer, but yeah the cricket should be good!

shes_jinxed

HSC
lol yes i know that college is a cushie life most of the time
but ive done the crapy first year at uni + working 5 days a week im more than happy to have a chushie life
speaking of which do many ppl at college have a job? I dont want to have to bail all the time because i have work but its not really an option.
I know I will be forced to move outside my comfort zone socially, because i basically went to uni with my enitre year 12 so havent been forced to make many new friends
and as for the sports thing, isnt Johns only good at netball? Is there any intercole waterpolo?
i just want this to be over so i can stop stressing about next year and go bludge for the holidays

shes_jinxed

HSC
boomalaka said:

Whats Zulu?
can you give us an idea of what to expect as freshers as far as treament from the seniors goes or is it better off we dont know :p

nearly done....

HSC
yeah, what is it actually like for freshers? also i won't know anyone else, do most people go in knowing other people?

shes_jinxed

HSC
nearly done.... said:
yeah, what is it actually like for freshers? also i won't know anyone else, do most people go in knowing other people?
i dont think so im mean sure there are some ppl from the same schools but its not like entire groups of friends go in together
your going to drews right?
i have two friends that are freshers there now and yeah they did know each other but that was it, and they have had an awersome time and made heaps of new friends
youll have a great time

nearly done....

HSC
that sounds good! :). what's with the formal dinners though? like wearing the woollen academic gowns. do they have to be woollen? isn't that really hot?

boomalaka

HSC
I wouldn't worry too much about how you'll be generally treated by the seniors.
The only time they exert influence is at the established rituals. Every college has different ones and it's better for you not to know them just yet.
Just know that atleast at Paul's you get pretty victimized but it's always heaps of fun.

shes_jinxed

HSC
ok again dont take what i say as gospel this is just what my friends told me
- the acca gowns are pretty freal if i dont say so myself but i guess everyone is wearing them, they are black and im sure they are hot you buy them at uni
- formal dinners are apparently ok you have to wear nice clothes and acca gown and if your late you have to bow at the head table (that would suck) and i think you can take guest every now and again or at least ive been invited

oh and as a drews fresher you will get very well aquainted with your acca gown in the frist week :p

- about formal dinners: they say they are compulsory but i have really late labs sometimes and a job etc, can you miss them?

Last edited:

deptada

hey i wanted 2 no how hardcore the colleges are...like is it just alchohol mainly? or do people do like pot/es etc as well

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
deptada said:
hey i wanted 2 no how hardcore the colleges are...like is it just alchohol mainly? or do people do like pot/es etc as well
Mainly alcahol. There are some potheads/pill poppers, but not that many.

walrusbear

HSC
there's a low amount of people do drugs outside of alcohol

pretty much everyone drinks a shitload though

shes_jinxed

HSC
sorry for the billionth question just trying to figure out what im getting myself into next year lol
Can you have ppl stay over night in your dorms at Johns? becuase ive stayed at drews but i was reading the handbook for Johns ( nerd i know ) and it says you have to tell the rector WTF is that rule actually enforced

deptada

so u can hav peopl over at drews? like do they just sleep in ur room? on the floor?

walrusbear

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
sorry for the billionth question just trying to figure out what im getting myself into next year lol
Can you have ppl stay over night in your dorms at Johns? becuase ive stayed at drews but i was reading the handbook for Johns ( nerd i know ) and it says you have to tell the rector WTF is that rule actually enforced
reality is nowhere near as strict as the guidebook says
i remember reading it and being discouraged

i have had many friends stay the night at johns. it's probably encouraged to let them know, but nobody does, and it's been no problem.
so no, it's not really enforced

technically people aren't even allowed to drink in their rules, and i'm sure there's not a second goes past in this place where that doesn't happen.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Really? Damn.

I was planning to deal my way through of full-fee degree :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)