Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

Artemis.

HSC
Yeah if anyone knows the answer to both the questions artist91 asked I'm curious too.

AltheaD

HSC
also can you leave all of your stuff at college in the easter/sept hols?
In answer to your first question about internet costs, the colleges use the university internet which is pretty cheap if you only use it for work and e-mail - 2c/mb for external traffic plus you get about 6mb a day of free browsing before the paid usage kicks in, a list of costs can be found on the Usyd Switch website.

As for leaving your stuff over the holiday periods, the Easter period is covered by your fees so you can leave your stuff in your room. During the semester break, if you haven't elected to stay at college or retain your room, you will have to move your things to a box room - it's pretty easy and useful to thin out the crap you accumulate over semester.

Again, I only answer for Women's but I imagine the other colleges are the same - the handbook is fairly informative, tedious but informative.

sophieisticated

HSC
I'm going to John's this year (as a fresher)!

Have you guys been sent information (apart from the stuff that comes with the offer) yet?

sophieisticated

HSC
If that means that you're under 18 then me too! I wasn't worried before but now that you mention it... maybe I should be?

pink-hickup

HSC
lol yeah I'm not 18 until mid April... and from reading some of the other posts it seems that the baby freshers are the ones picked on most, and apparently we need to invest in a fake ID if we want to enjoy O-Week fully lol

sophieisticated

HSC
Well I'm not 18 until the end of July which is truly lamentable so I'm thinking I'll probably be one of the youngest there - I hope we don't get picked on too much, underages have rights too! Apparently the colleges organise things for the <18s to do during O-week, and a lot of the stuff that the union puts on is all ages (except for the Big O :(), so I'm not going to get a fake ID.

I just hope that this doesn't mean my o-week will be twiddling my thumbs in my room or playing in a sandpit or something!

pink-hickup

HSC
What's the Big O? And yeah no playing in sandpits for me thank you lol I hope the underage activities won't be crappy because I want to do Big Girl Stuff! lol

shsshs

HSC
Scholarships for Drews come out halfway through Sem1.

Scholarship for Pauls come out with the offers.

From memory, the only time I needed ID last year in OWeek was the Wesley Party. I remember every1 rocking up with their driver licenses taped to their arm to get in.

Im pretty sure every other event held in college grounds didnt need ID - (alcohol is free and their DEFINITELY isnt any 'responsible service of alcohol'), but you WILL end up going to the Marly (Marlborough Hotel) and the Grose on a lot of nights, so get some ID.

Yeah there are 'dry events' as an alternative to the parties but they are attended by like 3 people (usually nondrinking Christians) - so yes, try and get some ID if you want to get loose.

Baby fresh you will fukn die (well at least you would if you went to Drews or Pauls). Freshers are so shit.

shsshs

HSC
yeah nonfreshers move in the day before (Sunday) Uni begins (unless you go to UTS)
fresher one week earlier obviously.

I only know of fresher pain from a St Andrews perspective...but it involves:
- all the freshers crammed tightly in a square on their knees for hours being shouted at with beer thrown on them and goon poured down throats.
- aca gowns pulled over our heads so we cant see and then crawling on our knees in a shitload of pain
- the infamous "Brick and Gown"
- 'Walkabout' where ppl have literally died: fed goon until you are passed out, and then driven 4-5hrs by car to the middle of nowhere and left there with no money/clothes/etc and expected to make your own way back to college. i got dropped 2 hrs west of bathurst on a highway.
- many many other painful things

...but dont worry youll have fun

pink-hickup

HSC
How do they actually make you do that crap? Why can't you just tell them to piss off lol

I'm there out of necessity, not out of a ridiculous need to be accepted by anyone, and since they can't exactly throw me out, why couldn't I simply tell them to get stuffed lol I'm boarding, not joining a sorority...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)