• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Resources Super Profit Tax Thread (1 Viewer)

Do you support the RSPT?

• Total voters

Ziva

Banned
HSC
why exactly do you guys oppose this so much?
Discourages FDI as our competitive advantage is lessened.

Oh look lets tax one of our main industries a bit extra SO WE CAN TELL THE AVERAGE JOE BLOW THAT WE ARE THE BEST ECONOMIC MGT TEAM EVER - WE ARE BRINGING IT BACK TO SURPLUS BABYYYYYY COVERING ALL THAT EXPENDITURE MISHAP AND ALL

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
that's all?

did the previous structure maximise foreign investment?

would it be better to cut taxes on mining instead?

TacoTerrorist

HSC
peikoff said:
1. Please note that Capitalism is a political philosophy, not an economic state of affairs. Capitalism is the political philosophy of private property no less nor more. Capitalism of itself makes no reference to how someone should live. It does not tell them to go into business, to get a job or anything of the sort. It is a system of private property nothing else.
Intrinsically that is the case. However, that system brings certain connotations. These connotations do tell us how we should live. There is an entire industry telling us how we should live. Consume, consume, consume! Work hard and one day you too can be a millionaire! Hey! Put down that Howard Zinn book and watch this mindless bullshit on television! My point is, the system entails a set of ideals that it essentially forces on those who live under its boot.

peikoff said:
2. How do you decide when someone is earning 'too much money'? I dont mean a lot of money I mean too much. Why should someone who earns alot be forced to surrender his income? Do you know how people make money, by providing a good or service. Dont complain about sol trihijo's salary by bitching on your computer connected to internet through bigpond, dont bitch on your telstra phone about how much money he makes. People make as much money as consumers let them make.
Ideally, people make money by providing a good or service, this is the case for the vast majority of us, but not for those on the top. Those on the top simply manipulate wealth on the stock market etc. What good or service does Sol Trujillo provide? He directs the company that charges ludicrous prices for basic services provided by relatively underpaid workers. Does he work? Yes. Does he contribute to society? No. The role he holds (and others in his situation) is an unnecessary byproduct of the capitalist system. He simply helps maintain the oppressive system that keeps him wealthy.

You shouldn't need someone to provide you with an opportunity to labour, but this is the case under capitalism. The vast, vast majority of us can only sell our labour to the rich.

peikoff said:
How dare you tell people how their lives should be run.
By that logic, if you're so offended by me (some douchebag 20yo on the internet) commenting about the evils of our society, you'd be tremendously offended by the media and advertising (which is essentially visual pollution, and another pressure to submit ourselves to capitalism), which has far more power than I do, and actually has an effect on how people live their lives. However, unlike the media and advertising industries, I do give a fuck about people, instead of trying to make an undeserved buck out of keeping them fat, ignorant and complacent.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
correct, cutting taxes would be the best way to encourage further FDI

the current government needs all the revenue it can get though so it can spend it on the lower class.

Mr Rudd is playing robin hood

Ziva

Banned
HSC
Ideally, people make money by providing a good or service, this is the case for the vast majority of us, but not for those on the top. Those on the top simply manipulate wealth on the stock market etc. What good or service does Sol Trujillo provide? He directs the company that charges ludicrous prices for basic services provided by relatively underpaid workers. Does he work? Yes. Does he contribute to society? No. The role he holds (and others in his situation) is an unnecessary byproduct of the capitalist system. He simply helps maintain the oppressive system that keeps him wealthy.

You shouldn't need someone to provide you with an opportunity to labour, but this is the case under capitalism. The vast, vast majority of us can only sell our labour to the rich.
You don't think that those 'manipulating' wealth on the stock market are contributing to society? When you buy a share in a company you are investing in a company, which raises its capital which can then be spend on infrastructure developments, production innovation etc.

If you were going to try and appeal to the mediocrity that support that whole communist ideal you should have at least had a go at those who try to buy and sell debt and equity, and speculate on derivatives even if it means betting against what they have advised their clients to do. Even then, those people are still allocating capital in the most efficient way, in theory at least.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
I said I hadn't studied it formally, and nor have you; engineering. I have a general rule that prohibits me paying money to learn anything that isn't true.
Then why are you doing law?

EDIT: I do this thing called wide reading, you should check it out. It's how i know stuff about chemistry, maths not in my course, history, economics and electrical engineering...

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
that's all?

did the previous structure maximise foreign investment?

would it be better to cut taxes on mining instead?
It would be better to cut all tax generally because it increases our overall comparative advantage

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Foreigners investing in our shit and buying our shit is good because they buy it in OUR currency, dudes.

Which means we get fucking rich.

Fucking hell lentern do you think Mercantilism is a valid economic framework?

Ziva

Banned
HSC
Foreigners investing in our shit and buying our shit is good because they buy it in OUR currency, dudes.

Which means we get fucking rich.

Fucking hell lentern do you think Mercantilism is a valid economic framework?
People are like what about the long run when we have run out of resources?

Allow all that capital accumulation that occurred due to FDI to fuel economic growth you fucking wiener.

Lentern

HSC
Then why are you doing law?

EDIT: I do this thing called wide reading, you should check it out. It's how i know stuff about chemistry, maths not in my course, history, economics and electrical engineering...
Any chance that one day you might demonstrate some of this knowledge in something you post on this place? Also I appreciate members of the right side of politics are a bit unfamiliar with the whole concept of wider reading but generally the tertiary left, such as myself, need no such explanations.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Any chance that one day you might demonstrate some of this knowledge in something you post on this place? Also I appreciate members of the right side of politics are a bit unfamiliar with the whole concept of wider reading but generally the tertiary left, such as myself, need no such explanations.
No the left are so fervent in their intellectual onanism they assume, wrongly as you do, the claim to intellectual superiority.

Based on the comparative intellects of the right leaning members of these forums (the vast majority if which are polymaths) versus a few idiots who can write florid bullshit, I'd say you're as intellectually valuable as drying semen.

That said you are a catholic so you'd probably lick it up to preserve its viability

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
People are like what about the long run when we have run out of resources?

Allow all that capital accumulation that occurred due to FDI to fuel economic growth you fucking wiener.
Yeah versus what about the long term implications of an aggressive taxation policy...

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
hmmm but

how much will this change actually affect the level investment in mining in australia?

AND

does this outweigh the benefit of increased revenue, eg. lowering other taxes, in industries that are far more sensitive to relative national tax rates?

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
hmmm but

how much will this change actually affect the level investment in mining in australia?

AND

does this outweigh the benefit of increased revenue, eg. lowering other taxes, in industries that are far more sensitive to relative national tax rates?
The whole point is that we subsidise agriculture (something hat is environmentally damaging and overall awful in Australia) by taxing industries we rule at.

What

Is the deal with that

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
I want to sell the excellent quality marijuana comestibles i make but i can't thanks to johnny lentern who wants the hun to win in economics stakes.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
The point is in subsection three point dicks we shouldn't tax the industry that we are best at just because the government wants to take their money to make up the slack in the other tax cuts.

How about we stop wasting money on the BER shit, or putting nonviolent drug offenders in gaol (2.8bn per year)

Ugh.

Fuck you conservative cunts

absorber

HSC
The whole point is that we subsidise agriculture (something hat is environmentally damaging and overall awful in Australia) by taxing industries we rule at.

What

Is the deal with that
be this as it may, our agriculture is subsidised less than competing countries.

absorber

HSC
The point is in subsection three point dicks we shouldn't tax the industry that we are best at just because the government wants to take their money to make up the slack in the other tax cuts.

How about we stop wasting money on the BER shit, or putting nonviolent drug offenders in gaol (2.8bn per year)

Ugh.

Fuck you conservative cunts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)