Rest in Peace: Johnny Warren (1 Viewer)

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
Socceroos legend Johnny Warren has lost his brave battle with cancer.

The man affectionately known as 'Captain Socceroo' died at Prince Alfred Hospital at approximately 5.30pm on Saturday evening with his family and friends by his side.

He was admitted to hospital on Wednesday suffering from major breathing problems and other complications associated with the cancer, which was quite advanced.

Funeral arrangements will be announced in the coming days.

The face of Australian soccer for the past 30 years, Johnny captained the Socceroos for eight years (between 1966 and 1972) and led Australia through three World Cup campaigns, including a major involvement in the Socceroos' only appearance at the 1974 World Cup finals.

His involvement with SBS Television began in 1980. He called and co-commentated several major matches including Australia's World Cup campaigns, the network's telecasts of the 1990, 1994, 1998 and 2002 World Cups, the European Championships and Cup Winners Cups and World Youth Championships and was the chief football analyst on SBS Television's The World Game.

In 2002, Johnny published his first book Sheila's Wogs and Poofters, which has gone on to become an Australian best seller. He was also included among the Queen's birthday honours list, receiving a Medal of the Order of Australia.

In July of this year, Johnny was honoured for his services to soccer by FIFA president Sepp Blatter and was awarded the Centennial Medal of Honour in a formal ceremony in Sydney.

"I want Australia to embrace this fabulous game," he said on receiving the honour. "It's not 'wog-ball'. This is the game of the world."

Johnny Warren was 61.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
i just heard about this on tv and omg, we hav lost a true legend, johnny was a legend as a player and since then he was a true great not onli in the entire country, but in my small town, where he was a local, true legend, i once got the chance to have him present me with an award and 2 talk 2 him, he loved the game, and will be badly missed, so as the title says, RIP SIR WARREN...

HSC
Wow .. that is really left field. We all knew he was sick, but I really thought he was getting better. Soccer has lost their identity.

I used to always watch him and Les Murray on SBS, those guys made a great presenting duo. Johnny was the voice of soccer in this nation, and I am really cut about this. :(

dawso

HSC
m8, as if it wasnt comin, im sorry 2 say it, but johnny was one very very sick man, he really was....

HSC
Its sad news, Johnny was a champion and he will be greatly missed.

Best wishes to his family and friends. RIP

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
dawso said:
m8, as if it wasnt comin, im sorry 2 say it, but johnny was one very very sick man, he really was....
I thought he was recovering from cancer.
He attended the Socceroo game in Sydney and the launch of the A-League. This news really came to me as a shock.

Nevertheless, Johnny is a true legend. R.I.P.

Generator

HSC
N/A
A sad moment. Don't stuff it up this time, Soccer Australia/Australia Soccer Association, you have a dream to uphold.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i was totally suriprised, saw on the FOX sports website at about 6 (yes, only about half hour afta) that he'd died, i sorta panicked n well, was bad, i thought it was a horrible prank, until the full story came out...bloody hell, its annoying, such a great man has gone, im sad i neva got to meet him, but always watched him on SBS.

i liked his determination to try n fix the game up in this country (i hope those people who were against him feel good now :mad: ) n i'm hoping his legacy carries on thru the rest of us, we're the next generation of soccer people (yes, we might not be the next crop of players, but managerially sum of us are) so....here we go, he unfortunately didnt get to c the A-League up and running completely, but he can watch from heaven the REAL game played in heaven (not that union crap)

rest in peace mate :eek:

long live his spirit in the game...

dawso

HSC
yeah braad, he was a cool guy on tv, and u say that u neva got 2 meet him, well i will tell ya that u did miss out on somethin speshal, at our soccer preso last year, we had 2 actually take him off the stage cause he had been talkin about soccer 4 38 minutes and we had 2 leave the club by 11pm, but anyway, one final tribute 2 the man, if anyone is interested, next monday, at somewhere in sydney, at some time will be his full state funeral wit a public memorail outside, if ya wanna pay ya respects, wag skool and or uni and be there, i certainly will be....

RIP JOHNNY

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
SBS will be broadcasting Johnny Warren's funeral on Monday @ 11.45am, its sure to be an emotional occasion.

RIP Captain Socceroo

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
it's a pity he couldn't see the start of the new league

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)