Restlessness (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've been having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep for months now. I drink coffee, but I always make sure not to drink it after about 6 pm in case its what's effecting my sleep. Can anyone help me or offer advice? It always takes me hours to fall asleep, I'm restless and really alert to my surroundings. Even when its pitch black and silent......

When I finally do fall asleep I will wake up during the night. I think I'm going to try the calming teas and any other products that may help. Does anybody know what could help me sleep?

cazgirl123

HSC
Calming tea sounds good. A warm drink without caffeine before bed always makes me feel sleepy (I like hot chocolate :p). If it keeps up, better to check with you're doctor than let it affect your school work. If nothing else, he/she might be able to prescribe something to help you sleep.
Hope that's helpful.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Try changing the place you sleep in, like spend the night in some other room of the house, or swap rooms or something. I also hear that drinking a cup of warm milk before going to bed helps you fall asleep, but i havent tried it before, so im not too sure about it.

Evilo

HSC
eat at least 3 hours before you sleep, same with exercise.
get into a good repetive cycle - i.e. 9pm - get changed, 915, brush teeth, 930 - in bed etc.
Dont let distractions (i.e. laptop etc) be in your room

K

katie_tully

Try not to have too many stimulants before bed, e.g. don't drink coffee within 4-5 hours of sleepy time, get into a routine as evilo said, don't have any distractions in your room.

I dunno man, go see a doctor if it's chronic

NinjaSauce

HSC
Are you active?

If a person sits around all day, and doesn't actually expell alot of energy, it can be hard to get to sleep.

On the flip side, some one who is very active, and does a lot of strenuous work NEEDS to sleep. By that i mean, abosolutely compelled to get bed rest.

Oh, and yes, as others said, don't exercise too close to bed. Training can have a tonic effect and can keep you up.

HSC
NinjaSauce said:
Are you active?

If a person sits around all day, and doesn't actually expell alot of energy, it can be hard to get to sleep.

On the flip side, some one who is very active, and does a lot of strenuous work NEEDS to sleep. By that i mean, abosolutely compelled to get bed rest.

Oh, and yes, as others said, don't exercise too close to bed. Training can have a tonic effect and can keep you up.
Well, I haven't been very active in the passed few weeks. Holidays and everything.... but usually I walk for about an hour each day and I go to the gym twice a week. But this has been happening for about 3 months now.

NinjaSauce

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
Well, I haven't been very active in the passed few weeks. Holidays and everything.... but usually I walk for about an hour each day and I go to the gym twice a week. But this has been happening for about 3 months now.
Then i am at a loss...

Maybe you could try and induce it (I'm not saying drugs! Don't sue me!), by absolutely knackering yourself *shrugs shoulders* to exhaustion. It may 'jump start' you systems.

But then again, making up as i go along here.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
-insure exposure to sunlight during the day hours (<== use sunscreen!!!) [about 15 mins during the max time periods]
-consider changing the light if u are using those old fluorescent ones.

Improve 'sleep hygiene'.. this means... no doing anything but sleeping +/- 1 or 2 other activities in bed!.. no eating.. no reading... no internet or other. avoid loud music =P unless u fall asleep to death metal.

Exercise. Keep active and do things with friends.

Warm drink can help. Warm calming tea (avoid black tea) or milk is fine. Off the lights. have good curtains. wake up early and do something productive. take all non- necessary items out of the bed! e.g. excess stuffed toys... or pillows...

wear comfortable clothes. Adjust the temperature to ure preferences.

avoid drinking alcohol - makes the sleep less comfortable and minimally effective.
no cigerettes/no simulants! cokes/chocs after 5pm or heavy exercise.

Then!!! before in bed. learn to breathe, calmly and write all ure worries down and focus on nothing.. just think of a simple shape with colour. let ure mind have a chance to switch off.

if you are still awake after 30 mins. Get up walk around and read outside for 10-30 mins.

make sure ur mattress is comfortable....

identify why u feel u not 'comfortable' and u know ureself best.

then once this is done for 5 days -1 week.. see ure GP and they can give u other medical options.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
wow, thankyou so much. i'll definitely be trying some of these things :) ta
damn right you should try it .. this will start costing once i get my medicare provider number..

rozymisty

HSC
Um well the advice I got/found coz i do night duty in the past, (and can do it in 6months into my gradprogram) is to make your room a lot cooler than you normally have it, we sleep better when its cold, hence why you have trouble sleeping when its summer

Make sure you dont have heaps of things on your mind. if you have heaps on your mind, do what i did and write down stuff before you go to bed and then you can worry about it the morning. Sleeping on things does help you concentrate etc etc.

Listen to a relaxation tape or do stuff like yoga or listen to calming music. dont do anything that will stimulate you, coz that will wake you up.

dont think about thefact that you cant get to sleep. I find that if i say ican stay awake (while lying there) i will fall asleep sooner...kinda reverse psycology lol. Or if that doesnt work or counting sheep, then get up, walk around for a bit, drink some milk or something warm, but dont eat.

Dont have a big meal 5hrs before hand, esp carbs, coz your body will be so busy digesting your food rather than restingyour body.

Dont drink alcohol heaps.

Um what else.....people think watching tv/dvdsand stuff like that will make them sleep but it does the opposite, i think coz the strong light or something. Try reading.

Apart from that just try and not get stressed out about not sleepingcoz thats just going to keep you up. Good luck.

Oh yeha please do not try and go on sleeping pills. They arent good for you, especially if you have to get up early for some reason coz you will be out of it for ages. And it doesnt give you proper sleep either. As you may be aware, Stillnox is causing major problems for people on it...just better to try and sort out the issues rather than fallinginto the trap that meds can help you.

codydhu

AdherentFollower
HSC
You can get Valerian tablets from supermarkets. Cenovis makes them (called 'sleep easy' or something) I got a bottle for $11 a few months ago, im not sure if they work so well for me, but they must work for some people.

I found thinking about going to sleep works, mainly because i just kept thinking about other stuff.. pointless stuff.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Try to eat something just before you go to sleep. Blood will flow from your brain to your digestive system which should alleviate an over active brain for a few hours. Don't take any pills. Sleeping pills are overkill and will affect your work performance in the morning; while anything else simply won't work.

Evilo

HSC
i wouldn't take drugs to help you sleep without consulting your gp. Just think about the issue if there is an emergency(i.e. a housefire) and what effect a drug could have on you.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Evilo said:
i wouldn't take drugs to help you sleep without consulting your gp. Just think about the issue if there is an emergency(i.e. a housefire) and what effect a drug could have on you.
The housefire will appear really edible?

rozymisty

HSC
Hm having the flu for the past week, i found that antihistamines and codeine made me rather drowsy...but then again you shouldnt take those tablets without a good reason...

Dont rely on medications. And dont eat before bed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)