'Restrictions' on related texts? (1 Viewer)

Wonder

HSC
What are the restrictions on the texts you can choose for related texts? Are you restricted from using prescribed texts for any of the English courses or...?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
As far as I know, there aren't any restrictions on using any related texts, however, it is ill-advised that you use a prescribed text from any part of the English syllabus as you study it for another purpose and also demonstrate that you have not gone to any effort to do some wide reading of your own. Naturally, your text needs to be sophisticated, which means smartasses can think twice before trying to pull off The Simpsons as a sophisticated text just because it contains the occasional moments of satire. Best to avoid cartoons altogether, and go for a traditional novel/film that actually has a sophisticated meaning behind it.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!
No worries! It's always easy to just pick a movie or book that you actually felt emotionally involved in, e.g. The Pursuit of Happiness. Or something that's actually meaningful, e.g. They'll be sophisticated by nature that way :)

HSC
Are we allowed to use tv shows as self-prescribed texts? I'm not sure because tv shows aren't classified as movies.

superSAIyan2

HSC
What would happen if your related text is a short story or poem, etc and it ends up being a text in the short answer section?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What would happen if your related text is a short story or poem, etc and it ends up being a text in the short answer section?
Chances are, it'll never happen. If it does, that sucks, but do it anyway.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
That is a legit good point^^^
But the belonging texts for reading, tend to be quite out there, ie takes a bit of rummaging to find them if you wanted them as a supp.

terzho

HSC
As far as I know, there aren't any restrictions on using any related texts, however, it is ill-advised that you use a prescribed text from any part of the English syllabus as you study it for another purpose and also demonstrate that you have not gone to any effort to do some wide reading of your own. Naturally, your text needs to be sophisticated, which means smartasses can think twice before trying to pull off The Simpsons as a sophisticated text just because it contains the occasional moments of satire. Best to avoid cartoons altogether, and go for a traditional novel/film that actually has a sophisticated meaning behind it.
The person who state ranked extension english in 2011 did the simpsons as their related text......just saying.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
The person who state ranked extension english in 2011 did the simpsons as their related text......just saying.
A few exceptions doesn't justify that everyone should do it. It's a similar argument to the memorise/don't memorise debate. Just because some people are talented enough to write on the spot doesn't mean it's the only way to do it, and that everyone should.

And you are better off just using a text that's outright more sophisticated and therefore has more depth, rather than to take something that's ARGUABLY not, and trying to establish it as sophisticated.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
A few exceptions doesn't justify that everyone should do it. It's a similar argument to the memorise/don't memorise debate. Just because some people are talented enough to write on the spot doesn't mean it's the only way to do it, and that everyone should.

And you are better off just using a text that's outright more sophisticated and therefore has more depth, rather than to take something that's ARGUABLY not, and trying to establish it as sophisticated.
+1

zhusalmz

HSC
what about paintings, specifically post modern - expressionism etc

eddydundee

HSC
LMAO, obvious answer but are you allowed to write your own related text?
let's say I wrote a poem for english module: discovery, then analysed it, would I be able to use it in the actual HSC exam, with "by Eddy Dundee" and all?

And how about using un-official texts as your related texts, eg. my sister created a poem/short story/film for her uni submission, will I be able to use it in the actual HSC exam, with "by Elly Dundee" and all?

yo real questions G!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
LMAO, obvious answer but are you allowed to write your own related text?
let's say I wrote a poem for english module: discovery, then analysed it, would I be able to use it in the actual HSC exam, with "by Eddy Dundee" and all?

And how about using un-official texts as your related texts, eg. my sister created a poem/short story/film for her uni submission, will I be able to use it in the actual HSC exam, with "by Elly Dundee" and all?

yo real questions G!
Wouldn't recommend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)