RET questions (1 Viewer)

AngelBunny`

HSC
Recently,I have received a letter from UWS about a RET(Region Entry Test).
I read the booklet which told me that there is two STAT... multiple choice and writing english...
My question is if I'm not really good with english, is it still possible to achieve a good mark(70+)?

And also if it's not causing you guy too much trouble, what is the writing section about?things we learn at school? subject we learnt?

Super_Flyse

HSC
Yes, yes it is.

I'm terrible at English and I got 78...

It doesn't test things you've learnt at school, well atleast not content wise...
That's all the help I've got.

j_davo24

HSC
It's a good idea. If your interested in going to UWS and think you might not get the required UAI you should definitely do it. I still I don't know how they can justify the $135 fee for it though...

AngelBunny`

HSC
Thank you thank you... this is great help... I wanted to try it but $135 is a very BIG number for me,i dunno if it's worth it. If only there is an example of this test... I'm still considering whether i should try it out or not...

Super_Flyse

HSC
You get sent example questions after you pay...
Or atleast you get sent questions at one stage.

klh

HSC
Istn there also STAT classes you can attend which help you prepare? I remember is saying that in the UAC guide of the years past...

But there are many pathways to uni, work hard in your HSC [obviously] and isnt the trend of UAI's going down? I havent checked...

If you like UWS, there is the SWIC, and you do a diploma which if you get a good grade at the end allows you to enter into a uni degree at UWS, there are also similar institutions like this in other unis and admission into SWIC is like a UAI somewhere among the 50/60 mark [Sorry I cant remember but if you want mroe info, I can find out].
There is also Tafe, and can be used as admission to UWS as well as UTS and other unis.

However if you want to get soemthing a bit more universal, maybe do the STAT?

and if you think 135 is big, when you get to uni, that number goes astronomically high so I dont see 135 as a big number to invest yourself...just try hard.

= Jennifer =

HSC
I did ret big waste of money IMO. I got something like 57 and I got a uai of 90.4 so it depends basically if you have a mind for thinking outside the square you will do good.

If I had my time again, and I thought I wouldnt make it into uni I would apply for tafe and then transfer into uws cause at least you will get exempt from units you studied at tafe :)

BizzyP

HSC
one of the easiest tests ive ever taken, i got a 98. and i only got a 65.40 UAI, so you might as well do it. It cant hurt to give yourself more options.

AngelBunny`

HSC
Super_Flyse said:
You get sent example questions after you pay...
Or atleast you get sent questions at one stage.
oh i see... I havn't pay yet, so I didn't know... =P

AngelBunny`

HSC
Thanks guys for helping, I think I would give the test a try. I guess I really needed the mark, just had to get to uni next year. I can't waste another two years at TAFE.

wt2005

HSC
N/A
so what do you guys reckon is good preparation? The english part is worrying for me. Maths part i think i'll be right.

Also have any of you recieved the letter of confirmation for ret yet?

Say if i get 70% out of the exam what ret would i be expecting?

thanks

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
BizzyP said:
one of the easiest tests ive ever taken, i got a 98. and i only got a 65.40 UAI, so you might as well do it. It cant hurt to give yourself more options.
agreed. i got a 98 also and only had a 67.35 uai.

wt2005

HSC
N/A
What does the 98% mean? Is that the percentile mark and that you beat 98% of others who sat the test?

Also what preparation did you do in the test.

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
Hey guys,

I just wanted to also add that its important to remember that the RET exam doesn't add extra marks to your UAI, it is effectively just a replacement for your UAI, but your UAI still has to be within 10 marks of the course you apply for.
For example, if you get 60 in your UAI and want to apply for a course with a UAI cut-off 65 , and your RET score was 70, then your RET score will be used.

Everyone is sent a practice booklet a few weeks before the exam so that you can get familiar with the layout etc..

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
the "written" exam for RET is nothing like we learn in school .. it is common knowledge eg. science and technology .. "multiple choice" exam has A LOT of reading in it .. if you are not good at English .. you will certainly find the paper REALLY difficult .. having said that .. GOOD LUCK =)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
There isn't anything to study - just be rested and calm and you'll be fine.

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
common knowledge isnt enough ! you should do the Practice Booklet that they send you along with your "confirmation of registration" letter.. the questions are similar !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)