Rethinking Economics and new teachers... (1 Viewer)

LavishNotion

HSC
Hi guys, any input is welcomed.

I'm starting year 11 and I'm getting my subjects in order. I selected economics, but i'm having second thoughts. The content comes and should come pretty easy; im a mathy person, but i'm not sure about the class because...
No one in recent times, since I've been at the school has gotten a band six.
The teacher hasn't taught the course for many years.
The class (in general) isn't that with it academically.

I'm tossing up PE as an alternative, which i topped the last 2 years, if that means anything...

basically, the economics teacher and the class isn't amazing.
PE has a very good teacher.
Do i suck it up and learn or are these indications that the class isn't going anywhere fantastic.

thanks guys.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Economics doesn't have much maths at all??

Have a flick through the PE textbook, it may be well worth moving.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
basically, the economics teacher and the class isn't amazing.
PE has a very good teacher.
Do i suck it up and learn or are these indications that the class isn't going anywhere fantastic.

thanks guys.
If you have the urge to move classes because of teachers, remember you'll always be a beta

never use that as an excuse

either do economics or do pe

most of the hsc is done at home anyways, by yourself

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
If you work hard enough independently you won't have an issue. Top students will work independently of teachers regardless and i personally i don't believe you should solely rely on them to achieve top marks. I was the first student in my school to achieve a band 6 at eco (and the school isn't new) and this was up to the extra work i did outside of the classroom.

If you enjoy economics and are motivated to work hard then don't worry.

LavishNotion

HSC
Economics doesn't have much maths at all??

Have a flick through the PE textbook, it may be well worth moving.
Yeah, sorry. I just meant I feel i am a logical thinker and i could be suited to economics.
Not mathy, just logical and rational :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Mathematics is logical, I'm sure. A lot more 'logical' than English and whatever subjective classes there are.

mreditor16

HSC
Yeah, sorry. I just meant I feel i am a logical thinker and i could be suited to economics.
Not mathy, just logical and rational :)
If so, then I would recommend Economics over PE. Note, I have never done PE, but Economics is a subject which rewards the most logical and rational. Economics in a nutshell is about making links, and all about cause and effect. From what you've described, Economics would suit you over PE, which has much more memorisation from what I've heard and much less emphasis on using your logical and rational skills.

Also, as Drifting said, don't worry too much about a 'poor' class or teacher. Use that as motivation to direct your learning in a dedicated, efficient and self-dependent way. And again don't worry about history saying you won't get a Band 6 - work hard enough to change that.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)