Retreat From The Global (1 Viewer)

mikhaila

HSC
RFTG is a bitch, there are no texts and its basically all round fuked unless of cource u are being taught by that David Eldridge guy... comments?

edit(glitterfairy): title changed

Last edited by a moderator:

joe1016

HSC
Re: Retreat From The Fucking Global

i guess its kind of hard when avery question i have seen seems to involve one of the other module b electives. postmodernism, individual and society. i have had to study all of those topics and they havent helped my RFTFG at all.

that eldridge seemed to know what he was on about but where does that leave the rest of us public shcool ppls without a million teahcers to wipe our arses??????????????????????????????????? BTW thanx a lot johnny H, ur managing to fuck our country into an outpost of AMERICA

HSC
N/A

never fear, glitterfairy is (now) here! :p

Mr Eldridge happened to be my EE1 teacher as well. Top bloke, even if slightly/rather/extremely eccentric.

Post up your questions, and we can all pitch in to help answer them and get a discussion going :)

Kitty_182

HSC

I feel the same...at least the yr 11 course was kinda interesting...RFTG is so BORING!!!!!! The Shipping News is such an effort to read...stupid Quoyle, lol...sorry I'm just really bored with it right now...

HSC
N/A

I have to admit that I also found RFTG extremely dry to begin with. Don't get me started on the Shipping News, I hated the darn thing :p Good to study though, and a number of my friends did really well with it.

The thing about RFTG that works in your favour is that YES, it can feel really boring. However once you get the hang of that they're talking about (Heaney is really good for this) it becomes a lot easier, and hence somewhat enjoyable :)

Seriously guys and gals - feel free to ask questions about the texts. I did Heaney, Lost Salt Gift of Blood and Shipping News, so I can definately help out on those, and other people can cover any other areas. Discussion can only start when questions are asked! :) And remember - no question is a stupid question :)

joe1016

HSC
hey thanks, we are studying heaney and the shipping news, we r doing the castle as well, but i want that to be my third prescribed text cos i dont like it very much.

i have studied the mosquito coast for a text of own choosing and im probably gonna try to do fight club for my next one.......

can i ask which texts of your own choosing you did?

HSC
N/A
I used "Big Yellow Taxi" and for most of the year, also an article written by someonearather Conrad. lol... anyway, you'll find lots of good related texts in the Mobule B sticky, and I *know* the RFTG one is recently updated because I did it myself!!!! :p

mikhaila

HSC
hey, i dont hate retreat that much really, but yeah it is tricky to grasp exactly what we need 2 b covering. Finding a good text is so hard, i watched M.C but i think im going 2 have 2 get into the book if im gonna use it. For my last assessment i used Shrek... yeah but it was ok but i dont think its something i will use in the HSC in the end.
Our next assessment task is worth 40% and its a creative piece. I am freaking out because im not great at creative and its so hard 2 a) come up with a decent idea that reflects paradigms and everything and then b) respond and incorporate the stimulus that we wont get til the day. im suprised that u Joe didnt have a bitch about creative, but then again u will kill me in this task anyway so i spose i shouldnt b asking for it hey!! lol.

Anyway thanks heaps ppl for offering ur help!! u r awesum!! how many of u are actually doing RFTG this year?? .....laterz

joe1016

HSC
screw you mikhaila, which is not your real name, i didnt get the chance to bitch about it yet.

i have decided to be optimistic about it all...........take it on as a challenge..

we need to write a creative peice as a character from one of our prescribed texts.

i can just see me going "..........DAD!!! I DUG ANOTHER HOLE...." i love that line.

i was thinking of doing a character from the shipping news. maybe nutbeem or the Aunt. its gunna be hard but bring it on.

and to you miks, by our marks this year i probably will beat you, so how do you like them apples????????

HSC
N/A
Calm down, joe :p

mik - in regards to creative writing pieces, I think it's a much better idea focusing on core (simple) concepts by trying to write something extremely complicated.

Since I've had really blah food today I'm going to use a cake analogy:

A good short story is a bit like a well-made chocolate cake. It's simple, it tastes good, everything works together, and most importantly - it works as a whole.

A not-so-good "story" that's intended to fulfill "criteria" is like a cake that's baked in the shape of a twelve-legged octopus wearing a pirate hat, made with jelly, chicken, and those cute little sugar crystal bead thingos. It doesn't work as a whole because there's been too much thought about what goes INTO it, rather than how it works like a whole.

I can guarentee you that when Heaney, Proulx and Macloud wrote their stories, they didn't deliberately throw in paradigms and various other technical arcana that seems to only exist for the pleasure of the literary elite. They "deduced" all that stuff on their own :p

My advice with the creative writing section is to get familiar with core themes/concepts raised in the the texts, and to play with them. Try to move the geographical context, or maybe even twist it slightly. But don't try to think too much about writing something really complicated - because you won't/shouldn't regurgiate in the exam :p

joe1016

HSC
hey yeah i am calmed down..............i go to school with miks so i was really just jokin around.

ummmmm what i was thinking of doing was maybe a newspaper article written by nutbeem or quoyle for the gammy bird or whatever. or maybe a discussion between two characters about an article they have written............any other thoughts or ideas????

HSC
N/A
Both those sound fine. :)

From a purely creative writing perspective:

If you have an idea that sounds good, the best idea is to actually trial it rather than trying to spend more time thinking of "better" alternatives :) Chances are you won't find one better 'in time', or won't have enough time to develop it :)

mikhaila

HSC
LOL thanks heaps for ur comments glitterfairy, loved the cake analogy!!! we are getting bak our practice creative compositions 2moro in which i played two of the paradigms off against one another but i will surely let everyone know how it goes..... as for u joe!! thanks for pointing out how obvious my name is but its not like urs is any better and yes u suk just in general....

i think i have decided to do some kind of article that responds 2 one Quoyle wrote in the book, something about oil or something...i cant really rememba what happened in S.N so i had better revise it b4 i decide what to do... i wil defiantely try and work with the concepts rather than the paradigms coz its true that the authors didnt intentionally work in paradigms dah!! .... until next time

joe1016

HSC
lol, cool. its gonna be ok.

im freaking out about everything right now but for no reason.

glitterfairy.....why are you so calm??????? ur helpfull tho, thanx

HSC
N/A
I'm calm because I did my HSC 2 years ago, sweetheart :) Plus, I've been mod of EE1 for a while - I was here all of last year when EE1 and EE2 kiddies (I mod EE2 as well, you see) were freaking out :D

Heh. I've learnt a few things and have also done a bit of tutoring, so I guess it all helps my modding :)

mikhaila

HSC
surely we cant be the only nerds out there freaking out about RFTG... Glitterfairy i know u are gonna save me from going insane!!

HSC
N/A
Joe - I'm currently at Macquarie University, doing a Bachelor of Creative Arts with a major in creative writing (although truth be known, my first love is dance :( Unfortunately I really couldn't be bothered travelling to UNSW to major in dance, so... lol).

Mik: You can bet your boots that you're not the only ones freaking out, however you're the only two with the guts to admit it on a public forum. Ever since my year graduated (the EE1 forums were literally a hotspot in my year!!!) it seems there's been a huge decrease in posting... I don't know whether it's because people are freaking out more about the HSC and subsequently not having as much time to procrastinate on the net, or that they're so worried about not doing well they don't want to admit they need help/post on the internet, or that they're worried about 'loosing some advantage' by posting up 'secrets' on the internet, or whatever.... lol.

And yes, I'll be here all year to make sure you don't go insane! :D

If you ever have an issue with RFTG (be it a line/chapter you don't understand, or an assessment question that's screwing you over) seriously, post it up in the Module B forum. If I can't answer it, chances are someone else *will* (heh, or better yet both of us/all of us will). :) The more posters we have, the more information we have to draw off!

God I hope it starts soon though :p It's been two years since my HSC... the information is still there but no guarentees for how fresh it will be next year :S come on people!!! Take advantage of me while I'm here! lol

joe1016

HSC
hey thanx. so what do you wanto do after uni???? i wish i knew what im doing. lol thats a whole nother thread tho. im starting the tell me what carreeer i wanto do thread. i have a huge range of ubject so i dont fit into any one job category either!

im freaking about every sunject tho. i only talk online about art and ext english.

4 unit maths or physics can suck my balls

HSC
N/A
I'm not really sure what I want to do after uni - I have a vauge idea of what field, and what "sort" of thing, but really nothing specific. So I got myself into a pretty broad-minded degree (the MQ BCA covers a couple of business topics in addition to artsy things) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)