Rets test Questions & answers (1 Viewer)

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
ive got a few questions for past Rets cadidates willing to help me out.......

what does this test consist of e.g eglish maths......?

how long does this test go for?

Im in the catchment around the hurstville area so where would be the delegated examination room be held at?

how much?

if I do the rets would I be granted in any other unis apart from uws?

My english is poor so would this affect my result ?

if it is english is it essay or comprehension form?

is it worth doing if you do standard maths & english or is it aimed for the more intermediate candidates who do like advanced ext maths & english?

is the uws ret test both or just the multiple choice?

guys who remember any questions or Rets exam thoughts post them up .....might be useful for future ret candidates

lastly any one willing to hand me anything irrelavant for studying for the rets test just post me a msg thank you for your help will be greatly appreciated

THANK YOU...............

theone123

blue essence
HSC
umm. i think you can choose any UWS campus if i can recall.

bankstown campus maybe closest to you.

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
??

neone besides natstar?????????? :p

HSC
i've done it, and it is quite difficult because you can not study for it

there are two parts, mulitple choice which takes awhile, and then you have (well i had) 2 essays (you get around 4 pages for each) on basic social questions, i think mine were like 'do you think it was good or bad going to war with iraq' but you get different ones, my friend had one on protest groups or something. It's basically to test your english skills, show off with big words and a coherent argument, well-structured essay etc, also on social questions, try to bring as little bias as possible, or if you can, no bias at all.

mulitple choice can be like pictures, graphs, riddles, phrases and what they mean etc.

hope that helps good luck, i got 67, aim for alot higher than that lol

Gabs

HSC
N/A
Yep I've done the RET Test... and trust me, its totally worth it. It can save you a spot at UWS. I'll tell you why below.

what does this test consist of e.g eglish maths......?

The Test consists of General Knowledge Questions. This means that you do not need to be a master at maths, or English to complete the test - of course, if you are you'll get better marks. The Maths side of the test is relatively simple, you won't get 4 unit maths questions, most mathematics includes the reading of graphs, charts, interpreting numbers and general maths questions. You won't ussually get straight out questions, as they will be hidden in long problems. An example might be like, someone buys a few apples, eats some and blah blah.

The English side of the test is more complicated. ie, you should be 'ok' at english to pass this test. (oh btw there is no pass/fail). If you are doing English Standard you should be fine. You will have to write stories in the writing section, such as commenting on a phrase or writing a newspaper article. And the whole test is english, (except for the graphs) so if you are ok with reading and writing, again - you should be fine.

how long does this test go for?

The Test goes for 3 hours. 2 hours is the mathematics, writing general knowledge section (multiple choice). The last hour is the writing section, where all you do is write stories.

Im in the catchment around the hurstville area so where would be the delegated examination room be held at?

Hmm I'm not sure... probably your closest UWS campus.

how much?

I presume your asking about the cost. The cost is about $110 - $120. Its not that much if you compare it to uni fees hehe

if I do the rets would I be granted in any other unis apart from uws?

No, the RET (Regional Entry Test) is only for UWS, There is a STAT test (Special Tertiary Admissions Test) which is allowed across all Universities, but I'm not sure if you can sit it (I'm thinking that your a Year 12 student).

My english is poor so would this affect my result ?

Again, english is required but only general english. You don't have to be a master to pass the test. As long as you know the general guidelines - and that you can understand general english, you should be fine. Also - if you can keep the markers entertained with your writing - you should score pretty well!

if it is english is it essay or comprehension form?

Its in an essay form. You will be given a phrase or sentence, and you will be asked to comment and/or answer its question (if it has one).

Take note that you will NOT be asked to write about techniques, such as the HSC English papers do. Unless they throw a poem at you - but thats rather rare.

is it worth doing if you do standard maths & english or is it aimed for the more intermediate candidates who do like advanced ext maths & english?

Again, you can do ok if you do those subjects. I did Standard English and General Maths and I got a 67, which is pretty good.

is the uws ret test both or just the multiple choice?

Its Both. You will have a Multiple choice section and a Writing Section.

guys who remember any questions or Rets exam thoughts post them up .....might be useful for future ret candidates

Ask your careers advisor or contact the institution for a sample questions book. Just practice with them to get a feel of the test. You cannot study for the test, as its all general knowledge.

Now, the RET test works like this, (and this is why its very good!).

If your RET score was 70, and your UAI is 10 points under your ret score, ie, 60 - then your UAI for UWS will be guaranteed 70!

Two examples:
RET score: 65
NSW HSC UAI: 60.55
UWS UAI: 65.00
------------------

RET score: 80
NSW HSC UAI: 73.45
UWS UAI: 80.00

So give it a go and goodluck. Remember - there is no pass or fail for the RET test - and the best thing is - don't panic! Its a rather simple test with simple questions :)

Hope I helped. Msg me if you need any extra help.

HSC
gabs, RET score don't work that way

heres how it works

if your RET score is ABOVE the cut off and your actual UAI is 10 marks or less below the cut off, you can still get it.

i got 67 to, go us!

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
yeh

so wat is the percentages is it like 50% for the multiple and 50 %for the writing plz answer?????????? :cool:

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
Hey, I got 81 for the RET test and a UAI of 77.7, so the RET test was good for me because I could use it to get into my course. It is basic, however there are many 'trick' questions, so you really have to make sure you read the question right, or graph. In the multiple choice there are a lot of graphs, pictures, stories, etc. that you have to look at and then answer multiple choice questions about. An example would be an in depth story where two characters are talking and the multiple choice question would be asking what style of writing. Reminds me a lot of comprehension, and the maths part is mostly graphs, tables and basic addition etc. nothing past general maths.

The two essays, I found were pretty good. I cant remember what they were about, but one asks for a more personal reflection, whilst the other is a more general topic. In other words, one asks you for an argument (very good to show english skills) whilst the other is based more on your own imagination - thats what mine were anyway. I did better in the essay part than in the multiple choice, but thats just me, for some reason multiple choice always stuffs me up. lol

Oh, and the STAT test can be used for other Uni's but you have to contact the unis to see which ones actually accept it and which test you take, because the RET test is a combination of the 'Multiple Choice Stat test' and the writing stat test (sorry i forgot what it was called), some Unis only need the Multiple Choice - from what I gather anyway

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
?

so wat is the percentages is it like 50% for the multiple and 50 %for the writing plz answer??????????

Mannix

HSC
I think and im not certain but I think its worth around the same.

MC's make up 70 marks worth and involved English Comprehension as well as maths.

There are two essays..I think they are worth around the same or maybe a little less. They generally just want to see how well you can write an essay so remember to use big words.

I think your RET score in the end is almost like a rank figure. I got 87 in RET but im pretty sure my mark throughout the exam would have been different

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
th said:
Umm. Are you are you are eligible to do the RET test? Because, I went to Strathfield South high school and most of my school consisted of people from the Bankstown/Greenacre and South Strathfield suburbs. And people (eg, my best friend) who lived in the South Strathfield wasn't eligible for RET because they weren't classified to be in the Greater Western Syd area...even thought South Strathfield was practically NEXT to Greenacre. So if you are in the Hurstville district..you might want to check first. Try going on the UWS site and check if your postcode is under the list.

B

Bears_den

dont do the ret test its shit and just a waste of time and money just do well in the hsc and then get into uws that way which i did. i only know of about 3 ppl that didi anywell and a person that got 99.45 in uai got 68 in ret. work it out for yaself?

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
so the multple choice is worth more than the essay
some one clarify for me cus im just hopeless with essays??????????

klh

HSC
why dont you do the stat? isnt that better than the ret? and by face vaule, its seesm like the same thin, mc and essays.

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
just wanna reclaim this thread for the 2005 ret candidates out there

i still couldnt get a definite answer on how much is the mc ques worth to the essay writing

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
funky_a said:
Umm. Are you are you are eligible to do the RET test? Because, I went to Strathfield South high school and most of my school consisted of people from the Bankstown/Greenacre and South Strathfield suburbs. And people (eg, my best friend) who lived in the South Strathfield wasn't eligible for RET because they weren't classified to be in the Greater Western Syd area...even thought South Strathfield was practically NEXT to Greenacre. So if you are in the Hurstville district..you might want to check first. Try going on the UWS site and check if your postcode is under the list.
I have the same problem... I live in strathfield which is next to homebush and I am not eligible but homebush is grrrrrrrr :mad:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
melsc said:
I have the same problem... I live in strathfield which is next to homebush and I am not eligible but homebush is grrrrrrrr :mad:
melsc, you won't need the ret test to get into UWS! You'll get the uai you need :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)