Revenge Tragedy (1 Viewer)

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
A really good song to use for rev.trag is the Cell Block Tango... a song from Chicago... its works for gender etc.
I used the movie Double Jeopardy aswell... another book is Moby Dick or so says my teacher.

*Flutterby*

in my class were studying hamlet as a text and then picking other revenge tragedies.
as for related text and eminem then KIM is a revenge tragedy as he murders her and it is premeditated

sigh

HSC
I'm so confused!!!!!

The impression I got from our (stupid retarded) teacher is that the tragedy lies in the death, and that there MUST be a death for it to be considered a revenge tragedy.

please help :(

Also the one good thing my teacher did do was clear up the issue of Hamlet as a related text. In her opinion (she's a head teacher and has been for something like ten years) you shouldn't use Hamlet as a related text per se, but it should be referred to somewhere in your response in the hsc, simply because it is such a good example... hope the helps anyone who was confused... now hlep me!! :(

*Flutterby*

regarding ur help

Originally posted by sigh
I'm so confused!!!!!

The impression I got from our (stupid retarded) teacher is that the tragedy lies in the death, and that there MUST be a death for it to be considered a revenge tragedy.

please help :(

Also the one good thing my teacher did do was clear up the issue of Hamlet as a related text. In her opinion (she's a head teacher and has been for something like ten years) you shouldn't use Hamlet as a related text per se, but it should be referred to somewhere in your response in the hsc, simply because it is such a good example... hope the helps anyone who was confused... now hlep me!! :(
revenge tragedy is traditionally when someone seeks justice against a person who has committed an injustice on them or their family in a society that is overrun by the rich.
as time has gone on the conventions change with the composer. now the revenge tragedy is conventionally involved with a person who seeks such justice that they desire to kill the avenger and then kills themselves as they are so despondent. (King Lear, Hamlet etc.)
Then there was the sole purpose of punishing the avenger in such a way that they would be suitably punished for their crime against the one who seeks vengeance. (Medea)
Now as time passed the conventions changed and the deaths would occur by the avenger against the revenger's family. (The Cid)
Then there is the modern revenge in which one does not necessarily need to die as it does not have to be physical, rather moral (High Noon) then again a premeditated death can occur (Double Jeapordy).

I hope that's been of some help nemore needed u can always email me.

cyanide

Originally posted by Wacky
Well, its a poem, but since nobody's mentioned it yet

My Last Duchess
Propyria's Lover (spelling unsure)

by Robert Browning (I think)

besides, Revenger's Tragedy is funny. High Noon isn't really revenge at all. Revenge is more of a side issue.
*seconds*

Leasha23

Just as a question about the prescribed texts:

Our teacher for Extension 1 is a history teacher. As such, we spend most of our time studying the contexts of the text. Of course, the context is important, but how much is everyone else doing on the context of each text?

For example, at the moment we are studying The Cid, and our teacher has spent the last 6 hours of class discussing each of the contexts (original 11th century spain, 17th century france etc) and has been getting into great detail about the contexts - we spent 2 hours last week in a lecture at school about Cardinal de Richelieu and his life, and how this influenced his actions and hence the actions of Corneille.

Should I be worrying too much about the intricate aspects of the context, or concentrate more on the context itself and how it relates to the conventions?

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
I think you should concentrate more on how the context relates to the conventions, rather than just the context. In class we mainly discuss the conventions, but are given heaps of information on the context which we read at home. Maybe your class is the opposite and discusses the context to death, and gets more reading on the conventions?

Leasha23

Yeah I think thats kind of whats happening there dEja vOux... and I think its all because we have a history teacher teaching us extension english! My only problem is that we are given relatively little on the conventions, and its only because Im repeating year 12 and had the conventions from last year that I am doing any work at all on linking conventions-context. Aside from some very basic discussion of the conventions in relation to each of the texts, our teacher seems to believe that the only important thing about the text is understanding what influenced it all!

*Flutterby*

we spent more time analysing the text and the reasons for it and wat it was about then we did on the author and the such. if that helps...

Butterfly Kissz

i wana go bak to unsw!
HSC
hey.
i have an assessment task on last year's HSC revenge tragedy question.. wondering if anyone could possibly help me???

"what's done is done"- write a reflection from the perspective of a character from one of your prescribed texts. write within the conventions of the genre.

i was hoping to do Vindice...
any help would be much appreciated. thanx!!!

*Flutterby*

pick a character that u can relate well to and then u have to write why u have done wat u have and why its done the way it is (as the character) best idea is medea and why she did wat she did and the fact that its finished. by the way i have an icon that would match ur nic SOOO well pm me if u want it ok?

EroticCity

Does the Road to Perdition relate to Medea?????????

If not, do u know any other films that can relate to Meda? Is Rigoletto a good one? Who directs it and what year?

I'm having trouble finding a good film that can relate to Medea!!! THANKS

Last edited:
HSC
There are plenty of revenge tragedies. What's the big fuss over Hamlet?

Is anyone doing much ancient or jacobean revenge tragedies?
Do we need a variety? Will the examiners get annoyed if we only pick modern ones?

btw if you want something truly gruesome, try 'Titus Andronicus' by Shakespeare, or the films 'Titus Andronicus' or 'Titus'
It's rated R though. Rape, torture, murder, cannibalism... wonderful stuff...

scarlet

HSC
N/A
You should be able to use any text you want to use. How would the marker know if you were 18 or not? THere are heaps of 18 year olds who do the HSC... they have never been barred before and can't imagine they would censor us in this way. I think Kill Bill as a really good example of RT and will use it.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
It's probably best to ask your teacher about whether HSC markers look down upon R rated films.

I was wondering...I have to do a speech on tuesday, and it has to be 5 minutes long. How many seconds do they generally allow you to go over by before you get penalised?

Barb

there's a song called "coward of the county" by kenny rogers which is a terrible song but a good text for RT, and also there's a poem called "the little yellow idol" which some people attribute to Kipling and some to someone else, but no one is really sure who wrote it, but it's also a good text. have fun

SandraDee

you can use Hamlet my teacher told us you could anyway.. she rang the board of studies as well and they didnt say you shouldn't so go ahead and use it! i am!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)