Reverse Osmosis and Microscopic Membranes (1 Viewer)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
How would you evaluate the process of purification of water by Reverse Osmosis and Microscopic Membranes in comparison with the conventional flocculation-sedimentation-filtration-chlori/fluoridation process?

so far all i got is that the traditional way is cheaper and the reverse osmosis is used when the location has a deficiency of fresh water.

what about their efficiency and effectiveness comparatively?

jims

HSC
some pts that i can think of (so they maybe be wrong):
-the membranes can be washed and reused
-their large surface area makes them very efficient
-they can trap some disease causing microorganisms like giardia and cryptosporidian which arnt killed by chlorination
-theyre relatively more expensive to maintain and set up than the current methods and are not really needed here (in sydney)
-current methods are highly effective in purifying water
-microorganisms like giardia and cryptosporidian and pollutants are kept out of the water source through well buffered catchment areas.
-overall: membrane filters are very efficient and do have some advantages over current methods of purification and would be useful in areas of unreliable water sources, but their costs and unnecessity leave current methods as the better choice.
hmm hopes thats helpful

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
filtration removes most particulate matter and it's quick enuf to supply large cities wit the large volumes of water required.
chlorination kills most bacteria.
but it's not 100% effective (eg giardia/crypto scare)

reverseosmosis/membrane filters filter out evrything. but its' way too expensive to implement on a large scale. So we don't use it.
just use trad method with good catchment management..

although i did hear parra pools uses ozone sterilisation...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)