• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rewards for topping a subject (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
olivegreentiger said:
just letting you know that first in state rankings came out today :D
And you got one or know someone who got one? Wow. Details pl0x

youngminii

Banned
HSC
olivegreentiger said:
I got one but your not allowed to tell anyone but your family or what you got it for.
You consider us family? Nyaww..
Okay being serious, that's a stupid rule

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
youngminii said:
You consider us family? Nyaww..
Okay being serious, that's a stupid rule
That's true. You cannot tell anyone that you came first.

wendybird

HSC
haha. before i read the opening post, i thought the thread starter was wondering what rewards we'd personally be getting (ie. family).

in which case, my mother has oh so generously informed me she'd be quite happy to get me more books/study guides. :argue: :hammer:

in terms of scholarships/prizes.

i'd say shop around, University of Sydney and UNSW (among others) offer scholarships for high UAI such as Merit Scholarship, Entry Scholarship and Scientia etc.

Faculties within the universities might also offer scholarships (often tied) for specific subjects/courses and this may have relation to any state ranking/exeptional achievement in a particular area.

Overall, just research universities, look up their websites. Ie. the Arts faculty or the Science faculty. Board of Studies has a few links also for scholarship opportunities.

Good luck!

wendybird

HSC
aw, but i suppose you might be able to compensate through the various bragging opportunities offered at BoredofStudies ?

ample ways to declare your awesomeness. Ie, your results in your Sig for starters, if you're really exceptional, we'll even start a thread in your honour!

:ninja:

on a more serious note, of course your personal achievements mean the most to YOU and no one else. You alone know what you've done to get where you are, and it is your own head and heart who knows about the hours spent, issues stressed about, problems solved.

It's enough to be proud of yourself as that is the most important thing, everything is from within. External awards/accolades, all very nice, but it's how you feel about it in the end.

in any case, good luck to you too! :)

PS. to the original thread starter, i've just remembered that achievement in some subjects do allow you to be eligible for scholarships but these are not offered by Universities, rather by external agencies/organisations that you have to seek out.

ie. Latin: participating in the competition may with high enough marks may get you an American Classical League Scholarship for you to study at any american university to further classical studies.

or German: The German consulate has scholarships/grants for high achievement.

though no, there are no direct prizes for state rankings in any particular subject.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
yeah agreed. I don't want to put up: "top in 2 unit mathematics as an accelerant" because some people might think i am a dick and when I actually put that up for 30 minutes I saw myself to be a dick too so i decided not too.

apart from those bragging rights, there isn't a real benefit but it might look good on resume when i apply for co-op so yeah...

youngminii

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
yeah agreed. I don't want to put up: "top in 2 unit mathematics as an accelerant" because some people might think i am a dick and when I actually put that up for 30 minutes I saw myself to be a dick too so i decided not too.

apart from those bragging rights, there isn't a real benefit but it might look good on resume when i apply for co-op so yeah...
I swear to you, if I ever got first in anything, I'd make a thread in every relevant section -> "I CAME FIRST IN <insert subject here>, HAHA"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)