RFTG Paradigms Help and Questions (1 Viewer)

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Hey hotcocoababe.. i added u to msn, so i can send them to u thru there.. if u add me back of course??

Thanks Komaticom.. a lifesaver as always..
It says i have to rep others before i can rep u again.. sorry!

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I posted up two zip files, containing photographed notes regarding this module. It's titled "Paradigm Offering, and RFTG too if you want it". It should be somewhere near the top of the "Module B: Texts and Ways of Thinking" subfolder.
The photos are from a EE1 Study Guide, so it might be useful in your study.

= Jennifer =

HSC
this is my thousandth post *tear*

anyway now to the more serious stuff....one of my pieces of related material is of an american family going to live in africa for nine days in the desert they get there by aeroplane so would this be a reflection on a scientific paradigm???? :confused:

also can i make up my own paradigm i was thinking of the lines of "technology"??

Last edited:

almost_angelic

HSC
what texts are everyone gonna use? i hate the castle... so thats off... do ya reckon we'll need 2 relateds? if so bring on the beach and erin brockovich

Subsequent post:
Komaticom said:
You WILL need 2 additionals.

In ALL previous EngExt1 HSC exams, they've asked for "related text(s)". The "(s)" is indicative of more than one, and two related texts is good enough and fills the criteria.

I think, The Castle, being a film, would be easier to annotate than say, a novel, because the metalanguage is simpler.

Last edited by a moderator:

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
It is good to get a grasp on these paradigms, and analyse how they influence the text. Look at different readings of the text, and how these readings would change depending on the paradigm. Paradigms almost ALWAYS relate to context. eg. Heaney's poetry focused more on religious and philosophical paradigms than on economic paradigms.
My essay was more than 50% non-textual content, including paradigms and defining 'the global', and I got 48/50 exam mark, so get a grasp on paradigms NOW! :D

HSC
N/A
Hmm... I also wrote muchly on non-textual content, tangents etc etc... and got 47/50 (HSC mark)

It's all gone away in a blur now. *relaxes*

There is so much in Heaney to write about though... all his personal and historical context --> etc --> etc --> etc

Subsequent post:
katie_tully said:
I did these in relation to The Castle.
I took the philosophers, their philosophies and related them to themes in the Castle on a local/global scale.

Marx - Class Struggle.

Represented in the film: Kerrigans are battlers, even though they "own" their own house/caravan. Locally they are lower class because of their jobs, their location, etc. Globally they're battlers for the same reasons.

Fukuyama - End of History/Global acceptance of liberal capitalism and dominance of USA
Represented in the film: A rejection of this philosophy is in the development of an Australian film, for an Australian audience, satirzing an Australian culture. This rejection of the philosophy in the film is when the Kerrigans challenge the multinational in court.
An example of the global acceptance of liberal capitalism and dominance of the USA is that when America says or does something, most Western country leaders follow it unquestionably. Another example is the dominance of American movies at cinemas, compared to Australian/British/Foreign films.

Wittgenstein - Language games
Represented in the film: The use of the Australian language in this film means that only Australians are going to fully understand and appreciate it. It is represented in the film as a contrast of court language to the language of the Kerrigans during the appeal. Power is shown/imposed by the use of legal jargon over the Kerrigans every day language.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
The latter - handwriting in the HSC gets pretty bad for everyone... (time restrictions and all)

For RFTG, non-contextual points are encouraged... :)

bazman88

Shallow

glitterfairy said:
paradigms are just ways of thinking right? I could be wrong though, "paradigms" is not one of 'my' words, but anyway...

Look at it this way. Typical Global and Local Paradigms:

LOCAL: Look at that mackeral. I wonder how many more of them there are.
GLOBAL: Look at that mackeral. I wonder how many more of them there are.
LOCAL: I can remember seeing these mackeral shoals when I was a child...
GLOBAL: Did I see some shoals earlier? I could make a profit out of this...!
LOCAL: My grandfather used to bring me down here, and we'd fish for hours...
GLOBAL: I gotta call Larry. Is he still trawler-fishing near Antarctica or something?!

LOCAL: It's a pity the numbers are dwindling, I have to preserve this somehow so my grandchildren will still have something to fish

GLOBAL: Oh man, I gotta clean these fish up before someone else gets them! LARRY!!! *Into phone* WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!?!

You can see the obvious economic and philosophical elements here - to the typicalised local, the fish are a part of history and culture, not a career. To the global, it's an opportunity to commodify and gain material wealth.

did that help? Someone correct me if the context was completely wrong.

If you state that the difference between paradigms is merely a way of thinking, u will get poor marks. You need to be thinking on a higher level, on issues such as how the local and global become hybridised or synchretic, how this process is happening and relate it to specific paradigms/paradigm shifts in your texts and contexts. hope this helps

HSC
par·a·digm
n.

One that serves as a pattern or model.

A set or list of all the inflectional forms of a word or of one of its grammatical categories: the paradigm of an irregular verb.

A set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes a way of viewing reality for the community that shares them, especially in an intellectual discipline.

HSC
N/A
bazman88 said:
If you state that the difference between paradigms is merely a way of thinking, u will get poor marks. You need to be thinking on a higher level, on issues such as how the local and global become hybridised or synchretic, how this process is happening and relate it to specific paradigms/paradigm shifts in your texts and contexts. hope this helps
Yes, true.

Since this thread has been picked up from the depths of 04 stressiness, may I point out that the post of mine you quoted from was taken *before* I found out my idea of paradigms was completely wrong? :D

The problem with quoting from any previous year is that it's difficult to get a feel for exactly what was going on during that time. The ee1 forums were a lot more active last year, and I can recall multiple paradigm-related threads going on at the one time.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
glitterfairy said:
I can recall multiple paradigm-related threads going on at the one time.
Yeah I got scolded by a moderator by starting new threads for every paradigm question I had.
lol!

Yeah, and then I think they got merged at one point... it was good though. We had some good rftg discussion last year :)

Last edited:

raspb3rry

♥♥♥
HSC
How do we point out paradigms? Do we actually say "the economic paradigm is evident.." or make it more subtle? I don't know how to include it in my essay >.<. Help?

BLACKBIRD.whs

HSC
i relate paradigms as looking out a number of windows, with each one a different colour. outside is exactly the same, but the red window will make it all look red, etc. so while outside is the same the different windows makes them appear differently. Its the whole way of thinking that results in the patterns, not simply similar themes or ideas in each.

~pRiNcEsS~

HSC
Re: RFTG - Paradigms Help and Questions

Aren't paradigms usual/normal ways of thinking. Such as a usual global way of thinking in reference to economic paradigms is that money is important and the main motivator whereas a local economic paradigm would be money is a necessity but not the main drive in life... correct me if i'm wrong anyway.

jlnWind

HSC
raspb3rry said:
How do we point out paradigms? Do we actually say "the economic paradigm is evident.." or make it more subtle? I don't know how to include it in my essay >.<. Help?
hey,
basically what you want to do, is link your texts through a central thesis right?
however, it would be impossible to include everysingle idea/concept imbedded
in the three unit topic.

so, what you can do is put have two set essay/ responses ready for the hsc,
in each on you focus several ideas. these IDEAS are your paradigms, your ways
of thinking, the model, or structure underwhich you take in understanding RFTG.

your example "the economic paradigm is evident" is perfectly fine during the introduciton, if that is one of you focus paradigms, as you progress through the
essay try and use different words, but eitherway you have to refer back to it
as a central thesis. This will also make your response synthesise better, putting
you in the band 6 range :D

jlnWind

HSC
thanks c.star
and rofl to my pst reply to a student of 2005 (as some of my friends pointed out)

fashionfreak101

HSC
i need help with an assesment i have to analyse the relevance of the newly realeased film 'INTO THE WILD' to HSC students which analyses the ways of thinking that have been shaped and reflected in the text

PLEASE HELP

externalfire

HSC
Komaticom said:
I posted up two zip files, containing photographed notes regarding this module. It's titled "Paradigm Offering, and RFTG too if you want it". It should be somewhere near the top of the "Module B: Texts and Ways of Thinking" subfolder.
The photos are from a EE1 Study Guide, so it might be useful in your study.
sorry but are they gone?
i cant seem to find them :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)