RFTG:The Castle & Shipping News essay (1 Viewer)

steph francis

HSC
I'm a bit lost as to what approach i should be taking with this essay:

(1000-1200 words)
"In one way or another some texts explore a resistance to the global world, and in doing so celebrate the local - sometimes, perhaps, sentimentally"

Evaluate the validity of this comment with close refernce to your prescribed texts The Shipping News and The Castle.

Any thoughts on what kind of issues i should talk about?

Thanks heaps

boris

Banned
HSC
The Castle celebrates the local sentimentally because it represents a local identity that many of us are familiar with, but may not experience.

Contrast the local of the Kerrigan family with the local that you consider exists today. Is there as much focus on the family dynamics, the lives of the neighbours, the simplicity of life? The Castle touches on a raw sentimental value.
Are we too busy indentifying with the global to remember these smaller family values?

The Shipping News is much the same. Their local values are far removed from the wider global values because of how isolated the community is. The local and the idea of a local community existing in such a way feels more like a sentimental memory from the past than a real, living community in the 21st century.

They've only been able to achieve this by retreating from global influences, rejecting modern.

Keep in mind it has been 3 years since I did RFTG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)