Right. Time to start studying again? (1 Viewer)

mahli

HSC
Hey all.
I'm feeling rather competitive and was wondering how much time off the best and the brightest believe is necessary over the Christmas break?
:tree:

nonchalance

HSC
Oh wow. I commend you for your motivation lol. Ummm if its any help I took a break and started on the 1st of Jan and I got 99.3. I dont regret it at all, its important to relax before this year especially

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
If you feel that you're itching to hit the books, then feel free. Just keep in mind that you have only done 1 term of work, so you're somewhat limited in regards to content before you start moving ahead.

Personally, I didn't really study during the summer holidays when I did the HSC and in retrospect, I don't think I really needed to. Do what you feel is right but once you think you are beginning to burn out, stop and relax.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Feel free to also learn ahead and use classes as 'revision' time.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't advise to be studying right at the start of holidays as continued work like this will eventually cause burn out (possibly at the very least) during next year when you will need to study efficiently and effectively.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
sheesh guys have ur christmas break at least. id go crazy if i had done any work during the festive season

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As long as you do it in moderation, you'll be fine. So not five hours every day but say... an hour or maybe half an hour.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Good to get ahead. The more work you do know = less work later on. Burn out will only occur if you do too much, too fast. (ie doing it all later in the holidays).

Working now means i can still go out 3-4 times a week, and shall continue to do so till the end of the holidays.

enoilgam

HSC
Hey all.
I'm feeling rather competitive and was wondering how much time off the best and the brightest believe is necessary over the Christmas break?
:tree:
Take these holidays to have a break - it will benefit you in the long run (i.e. trial/final exam time). HSC students for some reason believe that rest is some great mortal sin. Taking a break now is a good idea. A friend of mine who did his HSC in 2010 ended up getting a high 98, which was a dissappointment for him considering that he was aiming for mid-99 and was predicted to reach that mark. He told me his greatest mistake was not taking a break during the christmas holidays and during the period immediately after his trials.

If your really itching to do work just read some of your english texts or do some light revision.

Galladrim

HSC
Take a couple of weeks off, then break back in gently. Remember, this is supposed to be a holiday after all. An hour or two in each session and you should be ready to go :)

TBH I didn't really do much at all over the Christams break. As enoilgam so wisely says, don't let inactivity bother you if it happens. Your chances for breaks later in the year will be somewhat slimmer. Best of Luck :read::smile::read:

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I think a good strategy would be to ensure that you can start Term 1 with everything from Term 4 fresh in your mind. Prepare so that you don't have to revise earlier content while you are learning the new content. If you feel that confident, you may lightly go over what will be covered in Term 1 but don't start teaching yourself the whole course. I would imagine that you would become out of sync with the rest of the class and that would burn you out (i.e. repeating the same content again which is monotonous or learning ahead while also revising past content to complete assignments and exams).

Just don't get ahead of yourself!

mahli

HSC
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up doing a little bit less than I planned for a couple of weeks, but nothing substantial. Good luck to everyone!

CriminalCrab

HSC
For me, I would really like to take a break but I have three assignments as well as homework from most of my subjects due over the holidays.
Anyone else in this situation?
but its still hooliday coz i do nothing in the evening.
So i guess its just, take a break and study if you've fallen behind in first term?

Aysce

HSC
I'm just trying to get up to date with my notes and everything else so I don't have to catch up during school. Study for now and take a break at around the last week of January. It varies upon how much work you have and so on.

hayabusaboston

HSC
I'm studying right now. :)
On BoS? hah no just kidding. You 2012'ers gotta get ready eh? Be prepared for the most intense exams youve ever faced in your life thus far. I give all of you best wishes, and I will personally upgrade all of your study Thu'um's to level 3 ;)

Note: ^Insider joke for those who play skyrim

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
On BoS? hah no just kidding. You 2012'ers gotta get ready eh? Be prepared for the most intense exams youve ever faced in your life thus far. I give all of you best wishes, and I will personally upgrade all of your study Thu'um's to level 3 ;)

Note: ^Insider joke for those who play skyrim
1. ffs make up your mind. Are you on 1 green bar or 1 red rep bar?

2. You speak as if you have already graduated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)