Role of the chemist (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
For our next exam, it'll cover a fair bit of this module.
For the role of the chemist, what's to know?
-We have to outline role of a chemist and the chemical principle to use.
What's the best one to use? Do we have to know everything the book says?

How do they use callobaration as they collect data?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Don't worry so much about this one. Chances are, it won't be asked.

Last year, just about everyone from my school memorised the Conquering
information on this guy called ... I forget. But the point is, it's not important. The 4th edition of Conquering has a new guy, save yourself the trouble of researching and just read through that.

Basically, you need the chemist's name, occupation, industry (name of company included), chemical concept involved in their work, and a brief outline of what they do.

As for collaboration, it's just logical that two heads are better than one. Work with that and bullshit up a paragraph or two. :p

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
K.
What about the next part.
Do we have to know every test for ions and that flowchart?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Sparcod said:
K.
What about the next part.
Do we have to know every test for ions and that flowchart?
Pretty much, yeah.

Marquis

HSC
Actually, reading part of the HSC Chem Marking Guidelines, I spotted that they specifically look for chemists NOT mentioned in the textbooks, i'm pretty sure there's a dot point in there somewhere that says you have to research a chemist yourself.

rama_v

HSC
Marquis said:
Actually, reading part of the HSC Chem Marking Guidelines, I spotted that they specifically look for chemists NOT mentioned in the textbooks, i'm pretty sure there's a dot point in there somewhere that says you have to research a chemist yourself.
Maybe u researched the same chemist that just happened to be in the conquering chemisry textbook :p

P

pLuvia

Marquis said:
Yeh I'm pretty sure they can't mark you down for that, some schools might actually use the one in textbooks for that dot point

derukureetsu

HSC
For Collaboration; chemists need to collaborate as, since chemistry is such a wide and dynamic subject, a chemist cannot cover all aspects of chemistry.

In monitoring and managing products and resources, there is more then one aspect of chemistry which must be used to carry out this monitoring and management and therefore more than one chemist is needed; each with their own specialties such as environmental chemists, polymer chemists and analytical chemists.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
We're just going to give a section of the professional history of our chem teacher :)

She worked in an orange juice production/packaging plant under quality control...I suppose that's pretty much the analytical chemistry branch, right? It works out well for us because the principle she used was titration - to check the acidity of orange juice (orange juice, NaOH, phenolphthalein). Other stuff that was checked - sugar content (via instrumentation) and microbe content (agar plates)

Moral of the story: human resources :)

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
I was told that the likely hood of this dot point in the H.S.C is slim, however occasionally turns up in trial's. Anyhow, the text book I am using is Fourth edition, conquering chemistry and it talks about a guy named Luke (not his real name) --> if it's not his real name, what is the point of mentioning it??? Also it talks about his job as monitoring the production of polyethylene.

I am confused about answer this dot point, in regards to naming a person.

P

pLuvia

WouldbeDoctor said:
I was told that the likely hood of this dot point in the H.S.C is slim, however occasionally turns up in trial's. Anyhow, the text book I am using is Fourth edition, conquering chemistry and it talks about a guy named Luke (not his real name) --> if it's not his real name, what is the point of mentioning it??? Also it talks about his job as monitoring the production of polyethylene.

I am confused about answer this dot point, in regards to naming a person.
Same I'm just going to memorise him, doubt the name though just make it up in the test, but Luke isn't hard to remember :p

lala2

Banned
HSC
It's a gay dot point, and so totally not relevant to any chemistry you might do at uni. I guess they wanna educate us on what sort of jobs you can get as a chemistry graduate out there, but most people doing chemistry only do it ebcause they wanna get into a science degree of some sort, which usually would have nothing to do with majoring in chemistry and intending to work as a chemistry graduate.

I agree with Dreamerish's post. btw, the guy Dreamerish was referring to was probably Burhan G-something, in the 'old' 3rd edition.

ovaniko

HSC
Uh, so what about those of us without Conq. Chem... I've looked through my textbook and it doesn't help at all with the dot pount re: outline the role of a male and female Aus. chemist...

Also, for whoever said they had to be named, they don't. But their industry/enterprise must. (does that make sense?)

P

pLuvia

Well the best way is just to borrow the book from the library/teacher, photocopy that page, about 2 pages long. Then just memorise, or else you have to research one. Usually the teacher will go through a specific chemist

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Would it be breaking copyright laws if you scanned in the page for her? Just an idea. ;)

Monstar

HSC
The new version has his name as Andrew (not his real name) .. hahaha apparently in the edition we have (orange small one) it uses his real name.

lol pointless info

P

pLuvia

Monstar said:
The new version has his name as Andrew (not his real name) .. hahaha apparently in the edition we have (orange small one) it uses his real name.

lol pointless info
Which textbook you referring to Monstar?

Monstar

HSC
^^ conquering chem, Roland Smith??

Orange one.. i think 3 rd or 4 th edition it uses his REAL name..
the later one, the big white one with crazy red patterns on it, uses an alias, as i previously stated the alias is "Andrew"

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Monstar said:
^^ conquering chem, Roland Smith??

Orange one.. i think 3 rd or 4 th edition it uses his REAL name..
the later one, the big white one with crazy red patterns on it, uses an alias, as i previously stated the alias is "Andrew"
It's "Luke"!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)