Roll Call - EX2 2015! (1 Viewer)

emlouisemeagher

HSC
Hi everyone, I'm Emily and I'm doing an absurdist theatre script based largely on Stoppard's "Rosancrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" as well as Beckett's "Happy Days" and "Waiting for Godot" (my link to the Extension 1 syllabus).

Good luck everyone!

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
I did theatre scripts for EX2 and I feel that often absurdist / Beckettesque / 60s ways of thinking style scripts are done very (possibly too) often, so it's important that absurdism is explored with a fresh and unique perspective.

From notes from marking centre 2010: "Students should be reading a wide range of plays if they wish to write in the absurdist genre. Too many candidates rely on Waiting for Godot and replicating its themes, ideas, structure and characters without a depth of understanding."

It seems that the theatre scripts that get into Young Writers Showcase are almost always some sort of rehashing of Beckett or Ionesco.

emlouisemeagher

HSC
I haven't actually read Waiting for Godot yet (personally, I prefer Stoppard). However, the plan is to use other drama features such as a chorus (of absent characters most likely) and recontextualise to a modern setting.
What did you write your script on?

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
to use other drama features such as a chorus (of absent characters most likely)
Absentees Anonymous (from Young Writers 2007 I think) is a play that revolves around largely absent characters such as Godot, so you might want to read that. There have been some particularly brilliant and witty absurdist pieces in the Showcases.

I wrote a verbatim/surrealist script about the struggle to concretise the notion of fulfillment in the modern metropolis. Not entirely happy with what I submitted, but in EX2, you'll probably never be happy with it. Still, my teacher pointed out some inconsistencies just as I was about to hand in the final version to BOSTES.

sarah1

HSC
Heey,
I'm Sarah and I'll be doing a short story for my MW :)

Anyone have any tips on the Viva Voce? Mine is next week :/

ScrivDr

HSC
Hey people,
I'm Tim and hopefully i will be handing in a short story by the end of this course haha.
I have my unmarked proposal due tomorrow :headbang:
Yeeeeewww

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
So how is everyone progressing along with their major works? Has anyone started?

My teacher has mainly directed me down the research path. He doesn't really want our class to begin writing their major until next year, although he does want us to write "loose" texts to develop our writing.

So far I am enjoying this course! It's more independent than History Extension, and I find that I work best with independence.

What do you all think of EX2?

ScrivDr

HSC
So far our group is still all on the research phase.

But i think i will be looking to just write though, get as much down as possible throughout the holidays and smash into it at the start of term .
The E2 course i am in at the moment has about 8 students in it and now that we have all gained a reasonable grasp on our topic areas and thesis we have just been sitting down each lesson and discussing whatever comes to mind haha. Its so free and random, i love it.

xsarinax

HSC
Hey, I'm Sarina.

I'm doing a short story for my major work- I've actually got my viva voce in 4 days.
I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty scared. Hope it goes okay.
Good luck everyone!

xsarinax

HSC
I am really liking Ext2. As much as it is overwhelming at the prospect of being completely in control of your own work (apart from guidance from our mentors obviously), I think it a rewarding course.
This might sound like I'm thinking too far ahead, but I can't wait to actually finish my major work and feel all proud and everything..
My teacher has said he basically wants a draft of the major work done by the beginning of next term. These six week holidays are going to be busy..
OH well. Go hard or go home.
Good luuuuckk :)

rosamariex

HSC
Short story on the way. Should be interesting :)
My viva voce is also next week. Any advice?
Thanks
and good luck to everyone!

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Short story on the way. Should be interesting :)
My viva voce is also next week. Any advice?
Thanks
and good luck to everyone!
Confidence!! Sometimes they like to challenge your ideas - STICK TO THEM! Argue why you have chosen them, how they relate to EAD + EX1, what you want to learn from them etc.
Don't waste time with ums and ahs - answer the questions with flair. The more comfortable you are and the more engaged you appear with your major work the better you will be.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hey guys!

A pleasure to meet English enthusiasts! :) I'm doing a radio play based on 1950's American Consumerism and Existential thought.

My friend, Hazelpug and my BOS best friend, does EX2!

exkili

HSC
Hi, I'm Vanessa.

I'm doing a TV script for my major work. My teacher wants a draft of the major work by the first few weeks of Term 1, so it'll be a busy summer for me :)

HSC
N/A
Hey I'm Shae and I'm doing a critical on the literary relationship between Shakespeare and Nabokov...
T'would be so nice to hear what everyone else is doing :)

HSC
N/A
I love Shakespeare! But it's not about him, just his prosody and structure and juxtaposition of purpose/style and shit

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Out of the 13 Major Works being done so far on this thread:

7 are short stories
1 is poetry
1 is a film
3 are scripts/plays
1 is a critical response

Last edited:

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Hi, I'm Vanessa.

I'm doing a TV script for my major work. My teacher wants a draft of the major work by the first few weeks of Term 1, so it'll be a busy summer for me :)
Wow... that's a bit tough. Our MW is due after term 1 holidays!

Baquillica

HSC
Hi, everyone. I'm Baquillica, and I'm doing a poetry suite. It's a little scary, because it seems like most of the people in my grade are doing short stories, though there is one who's doing a critical. So far, I'm thinking confessional poetry.

Just a question – does anyone have any idea of how to write a proposal? Because mine's due soon, and I have no idea how to write it. I know what I want to do, but I don't know the form of a proposal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)