Roll Call for all those who are trying to transfer into USyd/UNSW Law - 2015 (1 Viewer)

Infinitetime

HSC
Hi everyone!

This thread seeks to continue the initiative of those users who created the two previous iterations of this thread. It will serve to provide prospective transfer students with an understanding of the recent benchmarks set at both universities such that it may allow for a little more of an idea when it comes to assessing one's chances.

As the UAC main round approaches, please post your NRSL Rank (GPA + ATAR).

Good Luck!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure how to calculate NRSL index myself (so would be thankful if someone could do it for me).

Current course: UTS Business/Law

2013 ATAR: 99.35
2014 GPA: 3.64 (under UTS's 4.0 scale) or 6.44 (under a typical 7.0 scale) - so a low or close to mid Distinction average.

(My WAM is 86.8, so a HD average, but from what I'm aware, they use GPA for external transfers)

How's your GPA + ATAR or NRSL index/rank Infinitetime?

Have UNSW Combined Law as 1st pref and USYD Combined Law as 2nd pref.

Infinitetime

HSC
Great work RivalryofTroll! To calculate the NRSL Rank, you take your ATAR and the selection rank equivalent of your GPA which in your case is 98.5 and average the two, giving you 98.925.

Actually finished the HSC in 2014. Was wanting to assess the impact of the new revised cut-off on the transfer benchmark.

Infinitetime

HSC
It'd be really helpful for future years to see how the lower ATAR cut-off will impact the NRSL benchmark. This is because it would provide an indication of whether Sydney (and UNSW if it follows suit) are reducing transfer spots or increasing the size of the cohort. So 2015ers, please post!

jaydizzlegear

HSC
ATAR: 94.55 (hopefully irrelevant for USYD transfer)
GPA: 6.2

Law at UOW

Although i have special consideration for admission to both UNSW and USYD

USYD 1st then UNSW 2nd

Obviously im right on the threshold as my NRSL is around 97 so fingers crossed.

Anyone have any experience with the special consideration for admission programs?

Infinitetime

HSC
jaydizzlegear, in your case they won't consider your ATAR as your tertiary results are obviously the stronger out of the two. Special consideration will definitely work in your favour, however the extent to which they do, no one besides the universities themselves could tell you!

jaydizzlegear

HSC
jaydizzlegear, in your case they won't consider your ATAR as your tertiary results are obviously the stronger out of the two. Special consideration will definitely work in your favour, however the extent to which they do, no one besides the universities themselves could tell you.
Yeah the universities are real sketchy with their information about it, USYD said you know you were successful in obtaining special consideration if you got into a course you are below the cut off for lol.

Ive also heard that the law faculty will look at USYD applicants first and then everyone else, which i hope is not true as it just further perpetuates USYD elitism to the world.

Infinitetime

HSC
Sydney unlike UNSW, hasn't made an explicit pledge to consider internal transfers more favourably than those from other institutions. This seems to be consistent with the experiences of a number of external transfers on this site, and so there probably is no need to worry.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Ive also heard that the law faculty will look at USYD applicants first and then everyone else, which i hope is not true as it just further perpetuates USYD elitism to the world.
Like Infinite has said, historically USYD has been more lenient with external transfers than UNSW.

ATAR: 94.55 (hopefully irrelevant for USYD transfer)
GPA: 6.2

Law at UOW

Although i have special consideration for admission to both UNSW and USYD

USYD 1st then UNSW 2nd

Obviously im right on the threshold as my NRSL is around 97 so fingers crossed.

Anyone have any experience with the special consideration for admission programs?
A 97 NRSL should get you in if special consideration actually kicks into effect.

Also, UAC has seem to be awfully slow with collecting my Semester 2 (or end of year) results at UTS.

Status for my secondary studies - ''We have obtained your results. Assessment finalised.''

Status for my tertiary studies - ''We have obtained your results. Assessment finalised using results available.''

How's the status for your UOW qualification?

Killerb47

HSC
ATAR 98.70

USYD WAM of 79.44, worked out to a 6.2 GPA.

Not sure what that makes my nrsl rank exactly, I think around 98.8 going off previous posts.

Hopefully enough for Usyd law

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
ATAR 98.70

USYD WAM of 79.44, worked out to a 6.2 GPA.

Not sure what that makes my nrsl rank exactly, I think around 98.8 going off previous posts.

Hopefully enough for Usyd law
If I've learnt how to do it properly, a 6.2 GPA translates to a 97 selection rank (according to a pdf file).

NRSL index = (ATAR + Selection Rank)/2 = (98.70 + 97)/2 = 97.85 for you?

You should get in if the NRSL index is similar to previous years (around 97~ for USYD combined law)

jaydizzlegear

HSC
Like Infinite has said, historically USYD has been more lenient with external transfers than UNSW.

A 97 NRSL should get you in if special consideration actually kicks into effect.

Also, UAC has seem to be awfully slow with collecting my Semester 2 (or end of year) results at UTS.

Status for my secondary studies - ''We have obtained your results. Assessment finalised.''

Status for my tertiary studies - ''We have obtained your results. Assessment finalised using results available.''

How's the status for your UOW qualification?
Well, I actually had to do a deferred exam so I had to send in the result for that subject, but other than that it says its been finalised using results available. Although it doesnt say anything about secondary results. Where can I find that?

I'm gonna call UAC up on Monday just to make sure everything is in order with my results, I suggest you do the same.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I actually had to do a deferred exam so I had to send in the result for that subject, but other than that it says its been finalised using results available. Although it doesnt say anything about secondary results. Where can I find that?

I'm gonna call UAC up on Monday just to make sure everything is in order with my results, I suggest you do the same.
Secondary results are basically your high school qualifications I.e. Your ATAR and HSC results (you can automatically add it when you choose the option of adding in qualifications from a previous UAC application).

I haven't sent any results in because UAC said they'll collect my end of year results at my current university themselves.

I'll probably send them an email to check if everything is in order (I sent them an email last time and got a reply).

Infinitetime

HSC
How do people think the NRSL benchmark will be affected by the lower ATAR cut-off at Sydney (and likely UNSW)? I see this decision as a movement toward increasing the number of enrollments from direct school leavers which will likely reduce the number of transfer spots. This is because I don't imagine universities would want their cohort sizes to balloon any further. Thoughts?

resourceater

HSC
NRSL: 97.725 ..... Sigh, I'm scared - especially with the lower ATAR cut off.

jaydizzlegear

HSC
When you think about it, how many kids get above 99.5 for their atars? How many of those kids end up wanting to do law at USYD? It's too uncertain to make a judgement on how it will affect the transfer spots, but I can't help but be worried about the lower atar cut off.

Infinitetime

HSC
Roughly, this will open up the door for 200 more direct school leavers and a few more spots for early/special admissions cases. Naturally not all will apply, however I think that it is fair to say that given the popularity of the course, a sizeable proportion will. Referring to what I said earlier, as much as we paint the universities as unforgiving capitalist institutions, they do hold an obligation to provide a decent and effective education - something that wouldn't be aided by burgeoning class sizes. It is for this reason that I believe the intake of transfers will be reduced.

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't conclude that. My friend from usyd comm applied last year to usyd law and unsw law. Was rejected from usyd law and offered unsw law despite the 'internal transfer advantage' (didn't end up changing though, will do JD).

Most of you guys have a good shot at it.

Good luck! :D

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Wouldn't conclude that. My friend from usyd comm applied last year to usyd law and unsw law. Was rejected from usyd law and offered unsw law despite the 'internal transfer advantage' (didn't end up changing though, will do JD).

Most of you guys have a good shot at it.

Good luck! :D
Well, it's only 'historically' based on what I generally see on BoS so apologies if I made a rushed conclusion.

I've seriously heard different assumptions about USYD external transfer versus UNSW external transfer.

There's people who've told me that UNSW has accepted ZERO external transfers in certain years (and this apparently came from the Dean's mouth or something like that)!

Meanwhile, I've heard (from other people) of people with a credit GPA getting into UNSW law via external transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)