Roll Call for all those who are trying to transfer into USyd/UNSW Law - 2015 (1 Viewer)

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Hey all :) Good luck to everyone trying to transfer! On behalf of a buddy- would a NRSL rank of 95.8 make it to USYD law? Heard a lot of conflicting opinions. He's pretty nervous, but also quite certain he hasn't made it. Thanks in advance.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey all :) Good luck to everyone trying to transfer! On behalf of a buddy- would a NRSL rank of 95.8 make it to USYD law? Heard a lot of conflicting opinions. He's pretty nervous, but also quite certain he hasn't made it. Thanks in advance.
Going off previous versions of this thread, he would miss out because he's below the 97.5~ (approx) required. However, if he is currently studying at USYD - there might be a chance that an internal transfer is somehow more favourable and he might get in that way.

jaydizzlegear

HSC
Going off previous versions of this thread, he would miss out because he's below the 97.5~ (approx) required. However, if he is currently studying at USYD - there might be a chance that an internal transfer is somehow more favourable and he might get in that way.
Then again, 97.5 is the max the nrsl rank has been in the last couple of years, and nrsl rank has gone down to 96 in one year, but this year it will probably go higher :(

Last edited:

resourceater

HSC
How do you know that 97.5 was the nrsl rank for the last couple of years - I was only able to find up to 2012?

Also is it possible that usyds incentive to lower the cut off was to matriculate more students overall rather than simply increase the proportion of direct school levavers to transfers?

Infinitetime

HSC
I'd be careful with that wording, RivalryofTroll. What RishBonjour99 said about his mate I think is more indicative of how the level of competition for transfer places at both universities will change each year - something that is only natural. In his mate's year it appears as if there was greater competition for transfer places at Sydney compared to UNSW in spite of the 100 reserved seats for internal transfers. In other years, the converse would have been true.

Last edited:

Infinitetime

HSC
resourceater, whilst it is entirely possible the universities are looking to matriculate more students, I doubt that this is the case. I don't think either university till date has been operating at excess capacity and seeing as both Law schools haven't undergone any further expansion projects recently (at least, I haven't heard of any), it just seems unlikely that they are increasing the size of their cohorts.

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Well, it's only 'historically' based on what I generally see on BoS so apologies if I made a rushed conclusion.

I've seriously heard different assumptions about USYD external transfer versus UNSW external transfer.

There's people who've told me that UNSW has accepted ZERO external transfers in certain years (and this apparently came from the Dean's mouth or something like that)!

Meanwhile, I've heard (from other people) of people with a credit GPA getting into UNSW law via external transfer.
Faculty staff don't always tell the truth (like the ABS admin guy who told me I needed a minimum of 82 WAM to get into UNSW law - lol such bs) but yes it does tend to fluctuate quite a bit.

From the people who've transferred into usyd law from your university, they had similar marks to yours - so you should get into unsw law quite safely as they would be around the same range. I think because usyd has lowered its ATAR to 99.5, they will make it harder for transfers because class sizes are still the same.

Infinitetime

HSC
To those worried about their UAC application status not reading as complete, hear this. Friend in the year above looking to transfer contacted UAC and was told that most universities will be submitting final assessment results to UAC later in the week/next week, and is considered usual protocol to allow universities enough time to deal with appeals, grievances and other issues.

yak_stefan95

HSC
ATAR of 97.65, GPA of 6.0 exatly - no idea what NRSL that corresponds to. Hoping for USYD law

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
ATAR of 97.65, GPA of 6.0 exatly - no idea what NRSL that corresponds to. Hoping for USYD law
GPA of 6.0 translates to a selection rank of 96.

NRSL index = (ATAR + Selection Rank)/2 = (97.65 + 96)/2 = 96.825

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
good luck all!

l wouldn't put too much thought in calculating your stats, you'll know in like 2 weeks anyway! ;P

milano7

HSC
Did USyd change their internal transfer process this year?

I wasn't of the impression that they gave early offers for internal transfers, but I received an unconditional offer to transfer from a BCom to Law on Jan 6.

No special consideration.

Not complaining - I just wasn't expecting it from what I'd read of past experiences on these forums and what I've heard from asking around.

jaydizzlegear

HSC

I wasn't of the impression that they gave early offers for internal transfers, but I received an unconditional offer to transfer from a BCom to Law on Jan 6.

Not complaining - I just wasn't expecting it from what I'd read of past experiences on these forums and what I've heard from asking around.
What was your atar and gpa?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah, it seems like USYD students get the early USYD offers (even if they applied through UAC).

To those worried about their UAC application status not reading as complete, hear this. Friend in the year above looking to transfer contacted UAC and was told that most universities will be submitting final assessment results to UAC later in the week/next week, and is considered usual protocol to allow universities enough time to deal with appeals, grievances and other issues.
Contacted UAC and was told that UAC needs assessment results by 16 January or else your application won't be assessed in time for the Main Round.

Main Round offers are released on the 21st so next week is too late.

Infinitetime

HSC
Did you receive the offer via UAC or did Sydney contact you directly, milano7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)