Roll call for those trying to transfer to USyd/UNSW Law this year (1 Viewer)

murphyad

HSC
I studied Arts/Law at Newcastle last year and have applied for a transfer to USyd this year.

2009 ATAR: 98.90

2010 GPA: 7

Best of luck everybody!

diligent

HSC
N/A
Just wondering whether USyd uses WAM or GPA for assessment of internal transfers from Arts to Combined Law? I have a WAM of 79, a 2010 Atar of 98.5 and a raw GPA of 6.1

diligent

HSC
N/A
Thanks Hectoras. So where does that palce me roughly?

hectoras

HSC
i'd place you in a similar predicament to me. im on a 99.15 atar with a 6.0 gpa and have spoken to the faculties at both usyd and unsw. usyd have told me that based on last years quality of transfer applicants i probably would have just missed out, demand apparrently rose unexpectedly. unsw, however, were a bit more optimistic and said i had a good chance but they could not guarantee anything. i hope that helps.

Last edited:

diligent

HSC
N/A
Thanks.
Given the current USyd website statement - “Experience suggests you require at least a Distinction average in your tertiary study and a UAI or equivalent over 96 in order for your application to be competitive" it would be interesting to know when it was that an applicant with a 96.5 UAI/ATAR and GPA of 6.0 last successfully transferred?

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Also, I have updated my NRSL rank list, which is based on the numbers that have been provided and calculated in the usual (correct?) way:

99.28 - trevhk (GPA)

99.20 - murphyad (GPA)

98.00 - I am here! (ATAR)

97.58 - hectoras (ATAR)

97.25 - diligent (equally strong)

74.25 - zehurricane (GPA)

For the sake of comprehensiveness, I have also noted in brackets whether one's main strength happened to be one's ATAR or one's GPA. Again, best of luck, people.

hectoras

HSC
best of luck to everybody! regardless of everyone's verdict, there will never be a substitute for hardwork as the ultimate vehicle to get us where we want to be!

I am here!

HSC
N/A
I'm in at USyd Law. Feels good. Anyone else have good news to share?

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Also, the school leaver cut-offs this year are kind of lol - 99.70 and 99.65 for USyd and UNSW respectively. Hurrah for transferees!

trevhk

HSC
N/A
GOT IN! I'm so bloody happy! Hopefully I'll see you around "I am here!".

Rhodes

HSC
Congrats People! I got in too! YAY! :D
May I ask what you got?
I got a GPA of 6.125 and an ATAR of 98.3 and i didn't get into UNSW/USYD OR UTS!
Did i fill out my application wrong or something... WTF!?

diligent

HSC
N/A
Rhodes: I had the same GPA and a 98.5 ATAR and missed out too.

I am here, trevhk & treblaC: Congrats to you all and best wishes with your legal studies

Hectoras: would really like to know if you made it given your ATAR of 99.15

In conclusion USyd's School of Law website statement " experience shows that as a guide a ATAR above 96 and/or a Tertiary Grade Point Average at a Distinction level are necessary for a competitive application to transfer into Combined Law" is totally out of date and indeed misleading in its current form. Wonder how many prospective first year students with a 96+ ATAR will rely on this statement and choose to enrol in straight Arts or Commerce or Science or Eco with a goal of achieving a distinction average and a seemingly assured transfer to combined law?

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Commiserations, Rhodes and diligent. Remember that it's possible to apply again next year (at least it is for USyd; not certain regarding the others), when the admissions standards are hopefully back to a more reasonable level.

izzy88

HSC
In conclusion USyd's School of Law website statement " experience shows that as a guide a ATAR above 96 and/or a Tertiary Grade Point Average at a Distinction level are necessary for a competitive application to transfer into Combined Law" is totally out of date and indeed misleading in its current form. Wonder how many prospective first year students with a 96+ ATAR will rely on this statement and choose to enrol in straight Arts or Commerce or Science or Eco with a goal of achieving a distinction average and a seemingly assured transfer to combined law?
I'm sorry you missed out diligent, and usyd probably should change their guidelines on the website. However I have volunteered at info days for the law faculty (not this year though), and I have never seen anyone that has talked to the law faculty been 'assured' a transfer entry. They are always careful to never guarantee anyone will get a transfer spot, and I have myself have told people that the entry is much higher than a 96 ATAR, and that it really depends on the year. The problem about transferring, is that the requirements (ATAR/first year average) are always going to change depending on how many spots are available- and some years there may be quite a few spots, and others not many at all (and it depends how many people are trying to transfer in).

However just because you didn't get a transfer spot, that isn't the end! Combined law only saves you one year- you can always go for grad law (now the JD) after you finish your first degree. I have a lot of friends that have started law this way- and it in no way disadvantages you. In fact, the JD may well be better than the Bachelor of Laws considering it is smaller classes and you can do some higher level masters law subjects (many people at usyd who were doing grad Law have taken the option to transfer to the JD- and combined law students tried to get the option and couldn't).

hectoras

HSC
Yes, I got an offer for combined law at usyd. Sorry to hear you didn't get one diligent - that's really unlucky.

minimafia

HSC
Yay, got an offer for UNSW Commerce/Law :) Congrats to everyone who made it in. Commiserations to those that didn't :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)