Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitarists (1 Viewer)

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
wheres dimebag and where malmstein?

adsta

HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
ones dead and the other one is lammmmezor

actually they were both lame
So are a number of the names mentioned on that list

You cannot name the single best guitarist, or even the best 100. It's an impossible task. I personally don't think 75% of the guitarist there deserve to be on that list (just my opinion). Steve Howe should be in the top ten, or even the top 5.Petrucci should be on the list, anyone who says he is not a good guitarist doesn't know what they are talking about. Al Dimeola should be on it, along with many more to replace the likes of Mark Knopfler and Bo Diddley. But that is my opinion, and is why it is impossible to label guitarist as the best.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
If the list has nothing to do with songwriting then what is the yardstick if it is not technicality?

adsta

HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
it seems you're basing your list on technicality
Which is why I said it is impossible to name the 100 best guitarist. What does best mean??? To me the best guitarist would be described as someone who has put many years of hard practise working on style and technicality. But also something that you need to have from the beginning (not all guitarist have this), feeling. Sure I love speed, and odd time signatures, but when I listen to songs like yngwie's 'crying' or the solo in the scorpions song 'still loving you' I get goosebumps. When that happens, I know they are something special.

Edit
Just read your last post, and I agree. But even so, the list the mag produced is still wrong according to what you (and me for that matter) define as best.

Last edited:
HSC
i know, but like i said before, there have been threads on this already, and i pretty much said what you said, that there can never be a definitive best guitarist list because its too subjective and there are too many variables involved.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
But its fair enough to say that if you could compile a list, Jack White would not be higher than George Harrison.

HSC
why not?
both are fairly minimal in their approach to playing, and neither is especially technically gifted.
you're just basing it on the fact that the white stripes suck and the beatles dont. which is stupid

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
George Harrison is probably one of the most influential guitarists of all time. You couldnt say the same about Jack White.

HSC
Grobus said:
Cobain was not a good guitarist. I liked Nirvana's music back in the day and I still listen to it sometimes. His guitar is not among his strong points though.

I mean, Cobain before George Harrison? WTF did these guys smoke before they compiled this list.
Probably the same stuff Pitchfork media were smoking when they gave BluePrint by Jay Z the 2nd best album of the decade so far

HSC
and besides, what relevance does the scope of their influence have on how good a guitarist they are?

it could be said that kurt cobain was largley influential, but technically, he sucked arse.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
"Great" implies some kind of historical relevance in pop culture to me.

HSC
but it was the beatles songwriting that was influential to others, not their instrument playing. i dont think ive ever heard anyone say "i wish i could drum like ringo"

kittycat552

sarevok said:
I don't see how Kim Deal could be on the list considering she plays the bass, lol.
hence the name bass guitar.

okay, musically, i'm way out of my depth here so meh

is this list talking about guitarists in general or is it in terms of acoustic guitarists? pfft

Last edited by a moderator:

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
but it was the beatles songwriting that was influential to others, not their instrument playing. i dont think ive ever heard anyone say "i wish i could drum like ringo"
Yea, youve got a good point there.

I think for all of the Bealtes their musical range was impressive though. They could write songs for all kinds of instruments and genres.

HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
though purely interms of technicality, paul maccartney was probably the only good player in the band.

hmm, yeah i think paul was the best player in the band, but to say he was the only good one ... big statement. but it was their combination of playing styles that made them that popular, that made their music so good.

the beatles dynamics and harmonics are far better, and far more involved than people think, but yeah. I wouldn't go around saying 'hey i wanna learn how to play like ringo'. i'd be more like i wanna learn to play like the dude from muse man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)