Romulus My Father Essay (1 Viewer)

BabzBrah

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone I'm writting a essay on Romulus my Father and my support text (Franz Kafka's "The Metamorphosis"). Anyways the questions is based on the statement:

"perceptions of belonging aren't always accurate and are often unhelpful" - We can say if this is true or not

Could anyone please help me with some ideas as to how this relates to "Romulus My Father" or perhaps if you know a bit more then even on "The Metamorphosis".

Also could you please give advice if my only current point fits with the criteria and would work well, a summary of my idea is that Romulus is believed to belong in Australia objectively , however as we look at this on a subjectively level it is proven untrue, hence the perception is inaccurate.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What jumped out for me from the question;

When it said unhelpful, I immediately thought of barriers to belonging. How others perceptions often inhibit people's sense of belonging.

A key example I thought of was Christine's ostrachisation.
Also Romulus strict and traditional ideals causing strain and tension for Raimond to belong in the familial unit and by extension, in the wider community.
Also when looking at Raimond, although he doesn't seem to fit his own perceptions of belonging, that scene where he looks at the bushland, he has the epiphany that he really does belong with the Australian landscape "scarse foliage actually became my(his) foci for a sense of beauty" etc.
Also thinking of the community's perceptions of Romulus as a 'New Australian' also heavily inhibits his sense of belonging.

With your idea, how do you propose that Romulus belongs to Australia subjectively?

BabzBrah

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the ideas and replying :)

I think I mixed up the subjective and objective belonging so I just edited it then.The points basically is that it is a perception that Romulus belongs in the Australian community, the reason for this is that he now lives in Australian as a citizen. However through the text we learn that Romulus, like most migrants of the time, felt alienated in Australia. Then one of my quotes supporting this is, Romulus “longed for European society”, feeling like a “prisoner” in “Australia”. Then relating the false view to perceptions being inaccurate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)