Romulus my father HELP (1 Viewer)

knxd

HSC
Can anyone help me out with Romulus my father?

'Belonging is about struggling with opposing pressures.'

[My main text - Romulus my father]
Some good points can help out alot :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the main point that springs to mind;

THe struggle between Romulus' relationship with his father and carving out his own adolescent identity (think Elvis book). Their differering cultural perspectives are reflected by the landscape motif, it personifies their different perspectives.
Also:
Christine's struggles with mental illness versus belonging to the family unit

tSong

HSC
A good point that I think you could discuss is the role of the Australian Government in the book as an opposing pressure (or barrier) to the characters’ sense of belonging.

Their family has been fractured as a result of government policies and this is clear through the segregation of men and family in the workplace. (there are other examples, such as the Gov rejecting Hora’s application to adopt Mitru’s daughters)
So, from this, you could talk about the context of the book; specifically the shift in attitudes towards migrants and the White Australia Policy. Although the Policy was not abolished until a bit later (1966?), there was nonetheless a relaxation of restrictions. Point out how Government attitudes and policies both shape and reflect the way we look at people, thus linking back to your question on the government as an opposing pressure that the characters struggle against.

Mental illness as an opposing pressure can be talked about quite comprehensively. Due to Christina’s psychological barrier, she is judged and subsequently alienated even further. In answering the question though, I guess you could say that with her mental disorder as an opposing pressure, she struggles with it to such an extent that it disconnects her from everyone else, generating a sense of not-belonging. So pretty much she fails to overcome it and therefore does not achieve a sense of belonging.

You can also discuss the fact that it is through the struggling of these opposing pressures that forges a sense of belonging. Eg. As a result of Christina neglecting Raimond, the relationship between Romulus and Raimond is consequently solidified.

Just some ideas. Good luck

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
A good point that I think you could discuss is the role of the Australian Government in the book as an opposing pressure (or barrier) to the characters’ sense of belonging.

Their family has been fractured as a result of government policies and this is clear through the segregation of men and family in the workplace. (there are other examples, such as the Gov rejecting Hora’s application to adopt Mitru’s daughters)
So, from this, you could talk about the context of the book; specifically the shift in attitudes towards migrants and the White Australia Policy. Although the Policy was not abolished until a bit later (1966?), there was nonetheless a relaxation of restrictions. Point out how Government attitudes and policies both shape and reflect the way we look at people, thus linking back to your question on the government as an opposing pressure that the characters struggle against.

Mental illness as an opposing pressure can be talked about quite comprehensively. Due to Christina’s psychological barrier, she is judged and subsequently alienated even further. In answering the question though, I guess you could say that with her mental disorder as an opposing pressure, she struggles with it to such an extent that it disconnects her from everyone else, generating a sense of not-belonging. So pretty much she fails to overcome it and therefore does not achieve a sense of belonging.

You can also discuss the fact that it is through the struggling of these opposing pressures that forges a sense of belonging. Eg. As a result of Christina neglecting Raimond, the relationship between Romulus and Raimond is consequently solidified.

Just some ideas. Good luck
Great answer! OP take heed of this advice!

DamTameNaken

HSC
There's a lot of ways you could go.

Around page 60 Raimond goes out to shoot rabbits to fulfill social obligations but can't do it due to the beauty of the environment.

Romulus always wants to go back to Yugoslavia on a level of physical connection but the cultural isn't accommodating.

Hora belongs to Melbourne but has to leave due to it being the place of his brothers death.

Romulus and Hora have ideals of character which prevent them from associating freely with Christine.

hasdhil

HSC
in the book there are the pressures of society and the how the Australian community want migrants to conform to the Australian 'way of life' and culture. Society is not accepting with Christine's situation and her mental illness just because she has trouble meeting the needs and expectations of society. Also Romulus was discriminated against and treated without any respect simply because he was a migrant but he worked hard through his ironwork and gained the repsect of others in the community.

Isobel B

HSC
- Straddling two cultures can overwhelm individuals as their choice to retain their dominant culture and identity can create barriers that make assimilation difficult, thus forcing them to dwell on the periphery. The memoir, Romulus My Father, portrays the ways in which immigrants in 1950’s rural Victoria struggled to be accepted in a foreign society, as Romulus’ desire to retain his dominant culture forms an opposing pressure to his assimilation.

- Not only do individuals’ intrinsic cultural beliefs pose barriers for assimilation, a culture can also be unaccepting subsequently posing a restraint to their integration. Such as the white Australia police and the slow response of the Australian government to accept immigrants as states above

- Mankind's intrinsic desire to create connections primarily occurs through development of relationship with other people. However, when one cannot belong due to an opposing pressure such as their mental instability, they can feel isolated and find it difficult to forge strong ties. This is seen in Romulus My Father when Christine struggles with the pressure she faces to fulfil her expected social role of a maternal figure with the clashing force of her mental instability.

- Raimond desires to fulfil his father’s expectations and uphold his core values but also wants to connect and assimilate to a different community with disparate beliefs and values. Raimond explores this tension, as he struggles with the pressure to either conform or retain his identity.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)